Confirmed: CHAPEK OUT!

You should, though. It’s pretty much an accessibility thing on all browsers.

2 Likes

Aw, thanks!!
:two_hearts:

2 Likes

What browser are you using?

And I still don’t have the pagey-thingy icon mode stuff.

If you are on an Android device, using the Chrome browser, you should be able to do the following…

Select the three dots in the upper right hand corner. From the menu, select “Settings”. Then, select “Accessibility”. There should be an option “Simplified view for web pages”. Make sure it is checked.

After you do that, when you try to open the link for the page with the paywall, it will prompt you if you want to use the simplified view. Select this option. The subsequent page will no longer have the paywall blocker.

3 Likes

Great read thank you -

As the article pointed out I often wished that the bigwigs could actually feel the impact the changes have brought to families- I would gladly book a trip for them to get the feel of it from the consumer side. They need to walk a mile or to in my/our shoes…

They touted a lot of the changes as great for guests not wanting to plan everything in advance to a full on fluster cluck imo…

3 Likes

You know what though? It would be nice if they would have to do it as someone without even our level of knowledge. We have a lot of experience and know a lot of workarounds, and we have each other to run to when we exhaust our bag of tricks.

Loads of people don’t know half of what we know. They are really in bad shape trying to use the systems in place

9 Likes

It probably wouldn’t be enough. Because part of the pain isn’t what happens during the trip, but the scrimping and saving that takes place leading up to the trip! For me to come up with, say, $4000 for a family trip for them would be no big deal. For me, it is more than a year of careful budgeting!

6 Likes

It’s hard to remember this sometime. When I interviewed for my current job, my final interviews were after my solo trip to Disney last year. My now boss asked me what I did over the weekend and I was so happy to tell him. He responded with, “I went to Disneyland once for a conference and gave my speech and left,” and it’s really amazing I took this job. :smiley:

I was talking to him recently about this, and his comment was that after the speech, all the rides had such long waits so it didn’t seem worth it and he just went back to the hotel. And I was like, “oh, when I go, I don’t wait very long” but of course it’s because I spend a lot of time with you fine folks that my friends and family have an amazing and fairly wait-free experience. But it’s not typical and it shouldn’t take the amount of effort that we put in for people to have a great time and not feel like they wasted thousands of dollars to wait in line for hours. Or that Disney’s response to making Genie+ easier was to release 6 VIDEOS explaining what it does.

Any time I suggest creating additional document for my company’s product, I have a team member who counters with, “No, we should just make the product better,” and I think about this a LOT during my day to day at my job. I wish Disney did too.

16 Likes

One of DW’s friends who had never been to WDW previously called me a couple weeks ago. They were leaving for WDW in 3 days. She received a document from her travel agent explaining G+ and ILL. She read the document and found it so confusing that she called me for an explanation. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with her explaining the basics of G+, LLs and ILLs, suggested order of booking LLs, and general touring suggestions to save time/reduce wait times.

She figured it out and they had a great trip, but WDW shouldn’t create a system that is so hard to understand.

7 Likes

One of the supposed reasons for the planned move of Imagineers from California to Florida was that a lot of them never stepped foot onto WDW property

3 Likes

I wish ALL companies/developers/engineers had this philosophy!

2 Likes

The imagineers are not the ones who need to step foot and use the systems. Imagineers don’t make policy

4 Likes

I keep thinking about how several friends / family members have reached out to me in the past year saying they are going to Disney, and asked me for tips. I end up sending them the huge post from the Genie+ thread that I keep updated, and it’s overwhelming to think they need to read every word of that to even have a hope of understanding what’s going on! (and that’s JUST Genie+!) I feel kind of guilty, even though it’s not my fault, obviously. And I feel bad for everyone who doesn’t have a Liner friend to give them the deets.

10 Likes

It’s a very valid point-

Honestly I cringe now when people ask me because after 20 years of pretty regular trips it’s so complicated…

See that’s the thing- Disney is incredibly expensive and IMO always has been and has always had some level of pay to play. Yet I always felt with proper planning i got our monies worth…It required at least for us some serious strategic planning. Especially when my boys were little. Even used to set aside funds every pay period to purchase tickets once per month at the Disney store in our local mall until we had what we needed…Changes made like APR and static daily surge pricing on genie+ IMO make it nearly impossible and I really don’t know how families accomplish it now…

6 Likes

Really, it would do US good to do it now and again as well. Helping family members plan a trip and then just being confused they don’t know how to set an ADR at MK for LTT before even broaching the topic of how to arrange Genie+ to work within their favor. I feel I need a “Giving Tips to Normies, for dummies” for ME.

This morning I spent half an hour explaining to my dad how AK is not accessible by any other means but by bus or car and how they’re going to need to rework their tickets. A 5-minute process for me. I’m sure they’re going to have to have the CM walk them through it when they get there.

7 Likes

We had friends visit in 2021. Luckily it was before G+ so I didn’t have to walk them through all that. I did remind her she needed to make APR’s and there is no way they would have been up to get a ROTR BG, I did it for them :grin:

5 Likes

Oh I do this plenty :wink:

Oh cool - it sounds like the last trip you took him on (did you ever do that one?) went well enough that he’s going back for round 2?

5 Likes

eh, not really.

They’re going so they can meet up with Step Mom’s granddaughter who is, supposedly, a CM but couldn’t arrange anything for them or something (someone I’m always hearing about, but seems to have the usefulness of expired milk because I’ve been the one fielding all questions and setting everything up).

But she’s apparently so revered they’re willing to burn $600 worth of tickets to rearrange them to 2 PH tickets to meet up for her for lunch and check out AK and Epcot for half a day (collectively. They aren’t even doing a full day), they’re not expecting to get to Epcot until about 1PM, and then transfer to AK at 2PM, and then back again.

I sound bitter, and I am.

5 Likes

Eesh

Am I reading this right? Are you saying that your trip with him did not go off, but somehow this trip with the steps is going off, and at a significant expense to boot?

That’s sucky. I’d be bitter too.

Also this his hilarious:

They clearly don’t understand the time suck involved in switching parks

5 Likes

Awesome response.

After our trip, I was talking to a neighbor who hasn’t been to WDW since they were a kid. She was pondering if she should suggest a trip for her family. I told her that Disney is now a lot of work to pland and navigate. I told her they should skip it unless they feel it’s a must do trip.

4 Likes