Choosing the best of the worst

My oldest turns 10 on 3/12/2022. I have told my kiddos that we will take them to Disney for their 10th birthdays. Everything I’ve read says don’t go to WDW in March because of spring break crowds. And yet here I am, planning a March trip. We will probably go for 2 weeks. In hopes of better (lower) crowds, would you pick the 2 weeks leading up to the birthday, the 2 weeks after, or put the birthday in the middle? Also, Mardi Gras in March 1st in 2022. We can begin and end our travels any day of the week, doesn’t have to be a weekend or anything.

Thanks for the thought and insight!!

1 Like

I personally would put the birthday in the middle, avoid Mardi Gras that way (though we’ve been on Mardi Gras and it wasn’t bad, younger DS is 3/2 birthday!).

But the biggest reason to not do the 2 weeks after is DS can still be child pricing for the trip/tickets if he’s still 9 when the trip begins!

6 Likes

I’d do the 2 weeks before. Spring breaks don’t really get going until mid-March.

2 Likes

We would arrive at least a day before his birthday either way, so I think he would retain child status for the whole trip, right?

3 Likes

So Mardi Gras is less of a worry than spring break?

Mardi Gras was pretty much a non event when we were there. I think we were in Epcot that day, and I don’t remember crowds being any extra crazy (this was 2019).

1 Like

I’d go early to avoid Spring breaks. The weather will be nice!

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking the first 2 weeks would be best, but wasn’t sure how Mardi Gras might affect things. Thanks for all the input! Now I just need SW hotel to open for a big birthday surprise for him!!

1 Like

Figure out where Easter lands and then avoid that. If it isn’t within any of those weeks, I’d go later than earlier to maximize good weather

1 Like

I think so. You can go through historical crowd data and see how Mardi Gras looked in past years.

1 Like

Yes. You are for your whole trip, in Disney’s eyes, the age you are upon arrival. Growing a year while there changes nothing.

3 Likes

Easter is 4/17, so no worries there. You don’t think the crowds will get worse throughout the month?

1 Like

I suppose others raise a good point about Spring Break but I would still prefer to go when I know it will be a tad warmer

2 Likes

I would choose to go the week of March 6th!

Mardi Gras week will bring people from New Orleans, they will be off that week.
The weekend before Mardi Gras is Princess Marathon (if it’s not virtual) which will bring more people in that weekend and they usually stay a few extra days afterwards… which will lead into Mardi Gras week.

Also going in March you will be able to attend Flower & Garden!! Happy Planning

1 Like

Hadn’t even thought to look out for marathons…thanks!

We went a handful of times in the last 10-ish years in mid-March around my mom’s b-day (3/19). Always felt like big crowds, particularly if Easter was around those dates. We started looking at crowd calendars and went the last week of February in 2019 and 2020 thinking it would be less busy. The crowds did not feel lower to me. 2020 was Mardi Gras and President’s day, maybe, and felt busier than previous years in March. 2019 was Princess Marathon weekend and maybe something else. Less busy, but not “light” crowds.

My takeaway is that Disney is always busy. Sometimes it might be slightly less busy. Earlier is probably better, but I would wager the difference will be nominal.

2 Likes

Ugh! Just realized “spring forward” is the day after my son’s birthday. I’m losing a Disney hour!!!

1 Like

Does St. Patrick’s Day have an impact?

Typically, the week after Presidents day week has lower to moderate crowds, a good time to go. Even though this week falls on Mardi Gras in 2022, it is a much better week to go than mid March.

Spring break previously always starts the second weekend of March. St Patty’s day has little effect because it’s already very busy.

Every year is different because how much all the holidays differ, especially when Easter is a factor.

1 Like

We’d have to stay for 3 weeks to be there for my son’s actual birthday. I’m not opposed, but I bet my bank account is!!