Chapek confirms masks will be required in US parks upon reopening

I think the rule actually is you have to wear a mask anytime social distancing can’t be done. So, it would allow for no masks outside as long as you can maintain your 6+ ft.

I think, given the rise in cases in Florida, that Disney would be silly to relax the face-mask wearing mandate for outdoors EVEN IF I would love to not have to wear a mask outside while there.

If they get a handle on the cases, and they see how it goes at Tokyo, they might consider relaxing the outside rule at WDW at some point…but really out it will be anytime soon.

6 Likes

Oh for sure. I get that. Just offering additional information.

Agreed 100%

The requirement for masks is largely what is giving me any sense of safety (regarding Covid19 that is) to be able to go on with my trip.

4 Likes

I don’t know what podcast I was listening to this morning but they said in Orange County it was “masks at all times- in a parking lot- everywhere.

2 Likes

I did a quick skimming of the related executive orders.

Masks in any public place. No mention of 6’ there.

For businesses (employees and patrons), stay 6’ apart or wear masks, which patron may remove if it impedes service to be provided.

Exceptions for exercising, under age 2, health conditions, and certain professions that I suspect have their own guidance elsewhere.

Which also references

2 Likes

Universal’s strict enforcement of masks was a major factor in actually going last week. If they hadn’t required it, or been lax about enforcement, we would have stayed home.

8 Likes

@len was saying on one of the recent shows that he feels safer in the parks (Universal and DS at this point, obviously) with all of the safety measures and cleaning, than he does going to the grocery store or similar. That made me feel better.

6 Likes

someone wrote here…somewhere in a thread… that Sea World guests and employees were not consistently using masks. They didn’t feel safe. I wonder if the lastest order or Orange cty will change that?

2 Likes

In a true evaluation of risk, if you work at a grocery store (or any public space), you’d likely be just as safe or safer visiting WDW. But if you’re staying home except for a couple hours a week at the grocery store or other errands, than your risk of spending hours and hours visiting WDW is going to more. Statistics and virus load. It’s going to be a very personal call.

4 Likes

I’m not joking, either. 100% sincere in saying that theme parks will be safer than the average U.S. city when they open.

9 Likes

This is a good point. It’s on a per-hour-spent-outside-the-home basis.

5 Likes

I’m using this to help justify keeping my July trip :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes, I noted that too!

I’m realizing why when I saw the video last Friday morning I couldn’t figure out why I thought you had way less hair. Your avatar has way less hair! Your hair has gotten long in all of this (like many of us!!!

1 Like

I haven’t had a haircut in 3 months. I think my goal now is to wait until I can get it cut at the barber shop on Main Street, U.S.A.

8 Likes

Now that is a fine goal indeed.

My son plays hockey. He had hockey hair (playoffs they let it grow) before this started. And he still hasn’t had it cut. And he looks like Cousin It. It’s hair. I’m not fighting about hair. But maybe this is a goal to shoot for. I wonder when it will re-open…

3 Likes

I may take you up on that challenge. I have not had a hair cut or shaved my beard for 3 months now. Once I can go out to see customers again, I will have to shave my beard off, but I think I can get away with putting mousse in my hair to look presentable.

Let’s see if I can make it to MW in January before I get to the harmony barber shop.

You will have to add the pixie dusting as part of your haircut as well.

1 Like

And in other FL mask-related news:

Further evidence that although FL residents don’t have a monopoly on stupid, they are trying their best to lead the rest of the country. They wanted to do a citizen’s arrest of a county official after a mask requirement was passed. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

People. Are. Dumb.

:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

my dad, who grew up in Miami, called them Floridiots

2 Likes

floridiots will soon be morphing into covidiots…

5 Likes