Chapek confirms masks will be required in US parks upon reopening

I suspect all pools will be closed initially. I have no inside information though.

Yes, they are still for medical professionals. If you see others out in them, it is likely because they are medical pros, not that they bought them for themselves. When I am out at the stores in a mask, it is a mask from work because I have access to them. We have no shortage of PPE in our hospitals here. But for the average person, cloth masks are going to have to suffice right now.

2 Likes

I think it’s possible People may already have these things around the house. I know when I clean the basement or I’m doing any sanding or such I use them. I have a little box of them here at home.

1 Like

I literally just remembered this. My mother came by yesterday with eight of those paper PPE masks that she picked up at the town. Our Townhall was giving them away to residents on Saturday. My mother and sister picked up 24. I told her she could keep them because I already had a box at home.

1 Like

I don’t think I’d care much about the mask for me, but I’ve been there as recently as January and my family has been as recently as November. I think for someone visiting for the first time or the first time in a long time that it could be more of an issue.

I’m in the “we won’t go if masks are required” camp. My kids were borderline with the heat last summer. I cannot imagine it not being pretty miserable to throw a mask into July in Orlando.

Also, I wonder if they will have mask distribution points within the parks if you need a new one. Like, my mask is completely drenched with sweat because the heat index is triple digits and I took it off to wipe my face and didn’t put it back on in a way that kept it clean.

How will they handle storms and masks? If masks get drenched can you still use them when they’re wet? Is it much more uncomfortable that way?

I’m also nervous as to how they will be able to enforce mask requirements. I am fairly certain people tell their kids to lie about age requirements so that under 7 sibs can ride with older ones. I know we’ve had extensive discussions here on how CMs so often don’t confront line jumpers or those who go up the FP line without a FP. Just wondering how they’ll handle implementing and enforcing masks. People will certainly have their party pull them down when out of sight of CMs.

Sigh. I understand they are doing the best they can and I completely get that masks are important. I just can’t see a visit to Disney being magical with a mask. :pensive:

10 Likes

My husband and I were discussing this over the weekend and have come to the conclusion that if they’re open when we have reservations in July, we won’t go unless they require masks. It’s not so much outside walking around the park that concerns us, but in queues for rides where it seems as if you have the highest risk of transmission. While I can totally understand that some may not want to wear masks or face coverings in Florida in the summer, I think it would increase our comfort in the parks exponentially if they were required. Plus, my kids are older and they’ve already agreed to wear masks if they’re required, so I don’t have to worry about trying to get a young child to wear a mask – that would probably be a deal-breaker for me!

4 Likes

I am guessing the CMs will treat it like they do the line jumpers…by ignoring it. Maybe a helpful “please wear your mask”. But that’s about it, they are not going to remove people from the parks because of it (at least I cannot see that happening).
Plus, if everyone is wearing a soaking wet mask (with sweat and rain being 100 percent likely on any given day at WDW in July), then really is there any point to wearing them? I would take mine down every 3-4 minutes to drink (I get dehydrated very easily in the hot, humid weather of Florida) and every 10 minutes to wipe away the sweat. The masks will be contaminated over and over by people touching them nonstop and rubbing the sweat. Masks make sense inside where large groups of people are, but outside…nope.

12 Likes

I’d be happy to wear a mask. I wear a surgical one all day anyway and my cloth one is more comfortable and less restrictive.

I’ll never go if my kids (7 & 3) have to wear them, just because I doubt I could get them to wear them properly!

Hmmm, maybe I should plan a solo trip once the borders open up again…

2 Likes

No argument from me that it’s the “right” thing to do, but you won’t see me there until that restriction is lifted.

4 Likes

Jobs for us! YAY!

5 Likes

I’m not sure the recommendation has changed, per se, but there does seem to be more PPE recently than at the start of this.

1 Like

Figured they would do this… and totally get it. But we won’t be going in October. Cancelled the other day when thinking about all of the things that will be limited. My kids would be miserable in masks. We will wait until normal arrives again. sigh…

2 Likes

This is my sister’s position. Her position is that a contaminated mask worn by a person under the impression that they’re protected is more dangerous than no mask at all.

She has worked in the medical field for decades. She really gets triggered at the grocery store deli workers who are apparently either clueless or careless.

4 Likes

This right here. I want Disney World to be successful, but I dread what might come to be if Chapek decides that he can extract the same amount of money for a lot less effort. Or if he decides to further monetize access to things that will be cut back in the initial phases. It wouldn’t be out of character for him.

3 Likes

Now I’m no Chapek fan.

But I don’t think this is fair.

He has stockholders to answer to. And they have lost millions every day for the last 8 weeks now.

If folks don’t see value for product they are well within their rights to decline the product.

6 Likes

100 percent, yes. My coworkers and I discuss this frequently.

3 Likes

More dangerous for whom? Perhaps more dangerous for the person wearing the mask, but I don’t see how that makes it more dangerous for the other people around. We are being told that the masks’ primary purpose (other than in the medical arena) is to protect other people, not the wearer.

4 Likes

It seems we need to have a re-education about the benefits of the cloth masks.

The wearer isn’t protected but they are protecting others from being exposed to their own droplets to prevent asymptomatic spread.

The people choosing to ignore rules in places where they are recommended are selfish and choosing their own comfort over safety of others.

4 Likes

Our of curiosity, if there were no restrictions, but the risk of Covid-19 was still out there, would you have still cancelled? Basically, did you cancel because you are not worried about Covid-19, but don’t want restrictions? Or was the risk of Covid-19 the dominating factor in your decision? Feel free to not answer if this is too personal! :slight_smile: