Change of our Plans

We had a resort trip planned for Nov 2-6. We were going to go with my mother-in-law. It was sort of a make up COVID trip when she was initially supposed to travel to Disney with us. It was a bounce back deal made in Feb and we’ve all been looking forward to it. We got our dining reservations, we had to have it all paid by 10/3 and I finished up that payment on 10/2. We even had a dining plan so we could get free kids plans. Yay 2026. It’s booked as a “Disney resort hotel basic package plan- TRAVEL WITH” as we have two rooms. No tickets, just rooms.

And then came the tightness in MIL’s chest. And then came the heart catheter. And today she learned she has 80-90% blockage in three arteries and the doctor recommended stents or bypass surgery and no travel until after that. She wants to do stents, but we don’t know when it’ll be scheduled and she’s told us she won’t be able to go on the trip.

Ever-hopeful me who has zero clue what I’m talking about wants to hope that maybe she can get the stents done next week and be good to go Nov 2 :zany_face: But let’s say she’s right and she can’t go- do I have any real options, or do I just call Disney and talk to an agent and put myself at their mercy?

Ideally, I’d push out the date. Understanding that I’ll probably have to switch hotels and pay more for the rooms. It might even have to be pushed to 2027 and we’d lose the free dining for kids.

But do you think it’s probable that Disney would entertain the idea of letting us push out our date?

6 Likes

Yes! Just call them and explain. It should be no issue.

7 Likes

Phew!! That is a relief to hear. Thank you!

3 Likes

Oh my gosh!
:folded_hands:t3:
Text me later today :heart: :heart:

2 Likes

I’m so sorry. I’m sure you are all disappointed. :frowning:

3 Likes

We are! So very sad. I mean, my husband and I understand, right? We want her healthy first and THEN we want to do Disney. No problem. Especially if Disney will work with us here. But health is more of an abstract things for our kids- the 8 year old kinda gets it, but the 3 and 6 year olds don’t- so they are lots of sad today.

2 Likes

:people_hugging:

Hugs

2 Likes

Growing up our first family WDW trip was scheduled for when I was 7 years old and my brother was 4. The day we were supposed to leave for Orlando, my brother woke up in the middle of the night with a fever. My parents cancelled our WDW trip. 7 year old me was devastated so I can commiserate with your kids. It sucks. Sorry your family is dealing with this.

Not the same from the seriousness of the health condition so not making that comparison … only the part about being a young kid missing a WDW trip due to family health/illness.

4 Likes

In light of what just happened with our cruise, “hoping” doesn’t always amount to it working out that way. But we relate to your dilemma, because for the two weeks or so leading up to our cruise, it became a waiting game to see if my MIL would be okay enough for my wife to feel okay going on the cruise. (In case you missed it, she decided 20 minutes before our Uber was to take us to the cruise port that she needed to be home.)

I am sorry you are having to face such a dilemma. I hope you are able to rebook it at a time when you can go and go and feel good about it!

5 Likes

I’m so sorry for all of you. I hope things work out. :heart:

1 Like

My mom is currently on a Mediterranean cruise she had been planning for a year. She had a kidney stone 36 hrs before their flight to Italy. She had a procedure to remove it that night and rushed to make the flight. She has been uncomfortable, had to visit the ship doctor for much-needed help and is now arranging to come home early instead of the post-cruise touring they had planned. She wishes she had not gone. Just to say, don’t rush. Better to reschedule when everyone is really in a good place.

6 Likes

Thank you! Yeah, she’s going to go ahead with the stents and she’ll let me know when it’s scheduled and then how long recovery is expected to take and then we’ll add a bit of time on to that (though she is otherwise very healthy and she, by all means, should heal within the allotted time) and then I’ll call Disney to reschedule. Hopefully we’ll know when that’ll be in the next week or two. I’m not sure if I should call them now? But I feel like it doesn’t make sense to call them and let them know until we know when we can reschedule it for.

Hopefully the stents will do their magic and she will be back to herself soon!!

1 Like

We got our trip moved to Dec 14-18. Limited bounce back offers available for that time, so we had to move from POFQ to POR and it’s still $100 more per room. : /
On the bright side, all the Christmas decorations will be up!

9 Likes