Car Rental Advice from JackOfAll

My best pricing was at 40 day. Full size vans are a tough one because they are a specialty car that seats more people. 700 or 800 is about the best you will find in most cases. Even for a minivan prices for onsite never dropped for my mid July 12 days under $633. $200 for 10 days would be crazy good.

1 Like

I do not use “incognito”. If you use Autoslash there is no need and the other site I use Carrentalsavers.com and costcotravel.com it will not matter.

I was hoping for $500.
Thank you for the point of reference.

I use Costco, so thanks for that confirmation.

I managed to get a minivan for $510 for 10 days at Thanksgiving (Alamo through Chase). It was originally almost $700. I’ve still got almost 150 days, but I doubt it will get much better.

3 Likes

thank goodness I just need a car, but sometimes I notice that a small truck is even cheaper than a car. I guess its what they have and what’s in demand.

I think they have monthly “sales”, too. Sometimes I see the large van for cheaper than the minivan, but the next month, it’s the SUV that’s a great price.

1 Like

On Autoslash.com pick cheapest and you will see some decent rates for most types but seldom minivans.

Yes… Costco is usually a great deal, and you get a free extra driver

1 Like

What? I didn’t know that was an option, wow, cool!

Yes! You do not get charged until the day you pick up your car. Today I am down to two bookings because I cancelled two last weekend .

1 Like

I wish I was a more confident gambler…or a Costco member!!

I’m 23 days out. Picking up in Tampa and returning at MCO. My cheapest reservation is $392 for 8 days… For a compact! That’s actually down from over $400. Today I saw that AAA has 303 pay later or 277 pay now.

Do I pay now or book the pay later and hope it goes down a bit more? Ugh!! Any and all advice appreciated!! Thank you!!

So…In my haste and excitement…and finally clicking through all the way…AAA does not show you the entire price up front…now it’s almost $500…guess I’ll keep looking.

There is a Priceline express deal for 294 if I want to drive a pick-up…sigh!

Have you tried Autoslash? Honestly, the economy is pricing at $40 more than my full size and almost the same price as the premium car I reserved 6 weeks ago. I have never seen this before.

1 Like

I did try autoslash and carrentalsavers. I got some decent quotes, but one was through Fox and the other was from some airport I never heard of…there was a shuttle from Tampa. On google maps it said it was a 40 minute trip…crazy!! Guess I’ll keep looking! Thank you for your help! And good luck with your search!!

1 Like

have you ever used fox? I am a little leary but got about 30$ cheaper from them.

For $30 I wouldn’t use them. We used them last year in Fort Lauderdale and while all‘s well that ends well, I felt the whole while like I was about to get taken. It was just an uncomfortable the entire time. They seemed put off by any question I asked. And seemed eager to argue with me about my insurance. It was clumsy and awkward and it wasn’t worth the $25 I saved.

1 Like

thanks, Ill stick with budget or alamo, although last time budget had no cars and a line of about 50 people that was not moving!

:woman_facepalming:
That doesn’t warm the cockles of my heart either. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fox is off site now and not recommended. Budget always has a line. Set up fast break for Budget so you can go directly to your car but Alamo is my preferred since you get to pick your car.

3 Likes