Car Rental Advice from JackOfAll

I think this covers it: Rental Cars - Orlando Sanford International Airport

I was planning on flying into Sanford and using a car service this September. Iā€™m interested to hear what kind of rates you find for a car rental out of that airport.

I got $219 for a week and three days from dollar! That is with tax.

BTW- not all of the rental companies look close from a map.

Wow thatā€™s a pretty good deal. Do you mind if I ask what kind of car you are getting?

Full, big enough for five people and number of bags. We are four limited to four check and four carryon bags. Round trip with Sanford. I checked rates, everything was more expensive. I think I booked during a 15% off deal.

+1 for AutoSlash!

I searched on Kayak and other major seach engines, the cheapest price is by ACE and Priceless car rentals in Orlando . The provide shuttle from airport to rental car office. The prices are too good to be true and wondering if anyone has experience with these companies

I would use them if prices are low enough. I would need to save more then $20 or $30 minimum before I would use a shuttle. The non shuttle cars are so easy.

Remember https://carrentalsavers.com and autoslash.com for some of the best deals.

$94 for a week is too good to be true

It really depends on when you are going. If at an off time in Orlando, you can get ridiculous deals - we had an SUV for a week for $50 from HotWire. Ended up via Alamo. My understanding is Orlando has more rental cars than anywhere else in the US so during non-peak times, a lot of those cars sit unused which makes for great opportunity if your trip is the right time of the yearā€¦

Going next week 12/17 which is busy season

Beginning of Xmas season, that does sound too good to be true, just like you thought.

Googling Priceless in Orlando reveals 2.3 stars & lots of reviews saying ā€œtheir web site is a lieā€ and that they add on pricing, etc. I would stay away from a quick glance at the reviews.

Just used this carrentalsavers.com advice to book a car - and have a little tip to add. I am a preferred AVIS member where you can just go out and get a car and skip the counter - I really wanted to take advantage of this perk as on my last Disney trip I got Hertz through priceline and we waited for 2 HOURS for a car which was insanity. We had to push our ADR for that evening to a later time and missed out on some of our FPs. The issue with these sites like priceline or carrentalsavers is you canā€™t link the reservations to your preferred customer accounts and are stuck going to the counter (I even called customer service to see if they could do it - but nope). However - I discovered a workaround to this problem.

I found an awesome AVIS rate through carrentalsavers and booked it (it wasnā€™t the cheapest rate but maybe only $30 more than cheapest - totally worth it for the convenience). THEN I went to the Avis site and entered the Avis reservation number to modify it - from here I was able to get the discount code and exit out of there. Then I made a NEW reservation with the same discount code linked to my AVIS Wizard/Preferred Plus number - got the same rate plus the convenience. Then I went back and cancelled the res I made through carrentalsavers.

2 Likes

Interesting - I know that this is true for rentals made through sites like Priceline, but I donā€™t recall having any problems linking Carrentalsavers reservations.

It was a ā€œsmart bookā€ reservation and it kept clearing out my wizard number every time. Maybe the ones with a visible coupon code are different.

Iā€™d like to chime in with my car rental experience. I got two reservations, one for budget and one for alamo. Budget was the cheaper of the two, and I figured I could always cancel the other upon arrival, but something told me to keep the alamo as a backup. When I got there the line for budget was ridiculously long and not moving. I mean at least 50 people in that line, so I strolled on over to alamo and I did pay 60 more dollars for the 8 day rental, but i had a car within minutes. I was able to go online and cancel my other reservation without penalty. The guy at alamo said budget had no cars and people had been waiting for hours. The cars at alamo are all newer models and drop off and pickup was a breeze. Just something to keep in mind when renting at the airport

4 Likes

Wise call.

I have heard many horror stories of people being delayed on flights etc. and having the rental company not honor the price of their reservation. It is not often but it can happen. I too keep a second and sometimes third car reservation at another company. Just in case.

My last 3 trips I have used Avis and waited for over an hour to get through the line and get my car. I now avoid Avis at MCO. Avis has no seats for family and no place in the garage for you to wait. After signing for your car you wait at the counter until they call you with a parking number where your car is. Avis overbooks and has no real idea on how to manage their inventory.

2 Likes

And I think Avis and Budget are affiliated, they probably both overbook!! probably why the rates are cheaper. I read some online reviews and it looks like Alamo has the highest customer rating. It was worth the 60$ to me not to wait!!

1 Like

Yes, they are owned by the same company, and just target different market segments. This is common across the industry:

Leisure Other Business
Firefly Hertz
Thrifty Dollar
Budget Avis
Alamo Enterprise National
1 Like

is this 20% discount good at the airport? or only at the car rental center ? this is good info, I have been searching and searching for a 10 day rental i august and cant get a good price, got down to 300$

1 Like