Canucks do Disney World: A 16th turned 18th birthday trip

Day 6, Part 2

DH and DD15 spent some time at the pool trying out the slide and lazy river. They really enjoyed it. DD18 and I weren’t feeling like changing into swimsuits and having to put on all that sunscreen. We decided to explore the resort a bit instead. Checked out all of the restaurant locations in both BC and YC. We also ventured outside to find the bus stop since we will be catching the bus to AK very early tomorrow morning. Then we relaxed in the room. It felt good not to be rushing anywhere.

We had been planning to eat at Spice Road Table for supper on Friday. However the fact that it doesn’t take reservations now was making us a bit nervous. Plus DD18 looked at the menu again and wasn’t sure how much she would like it. During our exploration we had thought that dinner at Ale & Compass looked good so I checked the app and was able to make a reservation for 5:55 on Friday!

Left the room around 5:30 to go to our Teppan Edo reservation. This is one of my favourite restaurants in WDW. We don’t have anything like it near us at home. The chef did a great job and the food was delicious.

While eating dinner I snagged a 7:00 LL for Remy at the 6:47 drop. Knowing the times for those is a lifesaver! We rode Remy one last time after dinner then stopped in Les Halles to pick up desserts. Finally back to the room for bed. We need to be on a bus before 6:30 tomorrow!

14 Likes

Nice work getting the A&C ADR and Remy LL!

3 Likes

I’m behind but love hearing that you had a Liner meet! I think I would chicken out if I saw a Liner, so I admire your gusto! :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Day 7

Up super early this morning to get to AK for early entry. I am so paranoid about being late that I end up being crazy early instead. We caught the bus at about 6:15 and wound up first in line for security and at the tapstiles. Of course we fell a bit behind during the walk to FOP. My family refuses to be even the slightest bit aggressive about sticking together and staying ahead of people. Still we were on and off FOP by 8:00. This ride still vies with GOTG for my favourite ride of all.

Next walked over to the safari. I love seeing the animals on this ride. Every time is a delight! We then used a LL for Dinosaur and grabbed a 10:30 LL for EE. We took a few minutes to make our mobile order for lunch at Satuli Canteen. Very easy process.

With some time to kill before EE, we walked the two animal trails. Not a lot of animals active on the Maharajah trail, no tigers, but lots to see on the Gorilla Falls trail. There was a great underwater view of the hippo and the baby gorilla was so much fun to watch.

Arrived at the start of our LL window for EE just as they were restarting the ride. It’s a fun coaster for chickens like me.

Next was lunch at Satuli Canteen. One of my top choices for quick service in WDW. We all thought our food was delicious.

From there we walked right into the 12:00 show of FOTLK. I noticed a few omissions from the last time we saw the show, less audience participation, but it was still great. So glad the tumble monkeys were back for our visit.

I had grabbed a 12:45 LL for the safari while we were in line for FOTLK and we went there after watching a bit of the dancing in Africa and reapplying sunscreen. I am not sure what had happened but there was a huge line for LLs. Standby was also long, 110 minutes. Luckily they cleared the backlog quickly and we were on the truck in about 10 minutes.

The only thing we had left to do was see Finding Nemo. Got a LL for the next show at 2:30. Had some popsicles to cool down and headed over to the theatre. I don’t remember the old show well enough to recognize any changes, but I like the new version. The use of the puppets is great.

It was just 3:00 and our dinner at ‘Ohana wasn’t until 6:00 so we took a bus back to BC and relaxed for about an hour before catching a bus to MK and the monorail to Polynesian. Dinner at ‘Ohana was fantastic. So much good food. Then we headed back to BC again for an early night.

Tomorrow is our last park day at HS. We plan to take it easy. There are only a few rides we really want to do and we’d like to see the Frozen and Indy shows.

12 Likes

I shocked myself when I went over to her! It was such a surprise to recognize her family from her pictures that I couldn’t help myself.

10 Likes

You totally made my kids day when you came over. They keep asking if I’m famous and how many followers I have :joy: I’m so glad you came up to say hi. Sounds like you’re also having an amazing trip! Thanks for sharing it!

15 Likes

That’s awesome!

7 Likes

Sounds like a great day!

4 Likes

Day 8, Part 1

Last day in the parks! :sob: We are actually pretty ready to head home so it’s not too bad. Today was HS. We had a small number of rides that we wanted to do and a few shows. Walked from BC to HS arriving just before 7:00. It’s a pleasant walk early in the morning. I think it would be quite hot later in the day. Booked ILLs for ROTR as I walked through security! The wifi cut out and I lost my 1:00 booking but I got 1:15 a few seconds later. DH grabbed LLs for TOT for 8:30 at the same time.

We were first at the tapstiles and first at MMRR. It was our first time on that ride. Super cute! I would say that I liked Remy better but it was still great. Did TSMM next and were done both rides before 8:30.

We walked back to Sunset Boulevard and rode RnRC standby with about a ten minute wait. Then we used our LL for TOT. It was only 9:30 and we had already completed our must do rides!

We did a mobile order for lunch at Docking Bay 7 (11:30-12:00 window). We knew we wanted the 10:45 Indy show so I grabbed a LL for it though I was pretty sure it was unnecessary. Before that show we went to see Muppet Vision 3D. It’s fun to see how far 3D effects have come since that movie was made. Then we watched Indy. I remember that show from my first trip to WDW in 1989. I am impressed with how well it has held up over the years.

Lunch time next. We wandered Batuu figuring out where Docking Bay 7 was located. Would it kill them to have a few signs? It’s not like there aren’t big ones saying Stand-by and Lightning Lanes which don’t exactly go with the theme! It was a good meal. I would try it again.

We had over an hour before our ILL so tried to do some shopping. DD18 was looking for a present for her boyfriend. He likes Star Wars and we had some great ideas from some people in La Cava. Thanks especially @Jeff_AZ ! Unfortunately she felt like there wasn’t anything he would really love since he’s not a big merchandise person. He’s bought her some nice presents when he’s been on trips so she was panicking about finding something. Then DH suggested some of the wooden animal figurines we had seen at AKL. Great idea but how best to get there? We still wanted to see the Frozen Sing-Along and we had our ILL.

Checking the time I saw that we could make the 12:30 Frozen show if we hurried. We got seats just a few minutes before it started. That show just makes me laugh!

Then it was time for ROTR. Glad it was our second time on the ride since they skipped basically all of the preshow. We walked right into the big room with all of the stormtroopers. It’s still a good ride though and this time I was able to spot a lot of neat details that I missed the first time.

Headed out of the park to catch a bus to AKL where DD found a lovely giraffe and elephant for her boyfriend. He loves animals and giraffes are his favourite so I think it was a good choice.

We hopped a bus back to HS then took the Skyliner to Epcot so we could walk back to BC. Back at BC before 3:30.

Got ice cream sandwiches from the Beaches & Cream takeout window. Yummy! Then relaxed in the room before dinner. We’re going to Ale & Compass so we can just walk over! At least some of us will probably head into Epcot after dinner. I want to look at a few things in the big gift shop there. May stay for Harmonious. We’ve been hearing the fireworks in our room each night. It would be nice to actually see them!

14 Likes

We couldn’t find Docking Bay 7 either :joy: Sounds like it’s been a lovely day!

4 Likes

Totally agree. I find it unnecessarily complicated and it gives me major anxiety walking around there. I feel trapped.

5 Likes

Day 8, Part 2

So the best laid plans are undone by the weather! As we headed to dinner at Ale & Compass it started to pour rain with lots of thunder and lightning. Dinner was great, but though the rain had stopped by the time we finished eating the sky still looked super ominous. I wasn’t prepared to walk back into Epcot and risk getting caught in a thunderstorm so my shopping plans were cancelled. Oh well, I didn’t really need those souvenirs anyway!

Planning an early night. Breakfast at Ale & Compass again in the morning. Then the long drive north commences. I will try to do a wrap up post sometime over the next few days.

17 Likes

Sorry you didn’t get back to Epcot. A&C breakfast is yummy! Hope you enjoy it. Thank you for sharing your trip with us and have a safe journey home!

3 Likes

Trip Wrap-up

We had a wonderful time on this trip. It was our first ever split stay, four nights at AKL Jambo and four nights at BC. We did seven park days, one and a half days at each park, plus half a day at Typhoon Lagoon. We had Genie+ for every park day and bought ILLs for FOP and GOTG (once each) and ROTR (twice). We also got boarding groups for GOTG twice, once at the 7 am drop and once at the 6 pm drop for extended evening hours. We made use of BG1 extensively.

AKL Jambo

We had a savannah view on the second floor of the zebra trail section, room 2519. It had an incredible view. There was a watering hole nearby that frequently had many of the antelopes around it. Just off our balcony there was a tree with a feeder that often had giraffes. We also saw zebras many times. It was great to sit on the balcony and watch the animals.

The room was not huge but had plenty of space for the four of us. I liked the way the bathroom was set up, shower and toilet in one room with two sinks separate. There was a sliding door which could close off the sink area from the rest of the room. Worked well for multiple people getting ready at the same time. Housekeeping was every other day which was fine. We just made sure to hang up towels to reuse on the second day.

We ate dinner one night at Sanaa, my favourite meal of the trip. We got breakfast (grab and go) from the Mara each day. It opens at 6:30 so we could pop in before heading to the parks. Very good muffins and croissants. We also had lunch at the Mara once. There are quite a few good options on the menu.

We spent one morning at the pool. There are a huge number of comfortable lounge chairs with a lot of shade around the pool. It was very relaxing.

We took the buses to MK for rope drop twice, caught the bus about 7:10 and were near the front of the crowd. We also took an early afternoon bus to AK on one day. We did not have any issues with the bus transportation.

Beach Club

We had a wood/garden view on the fourth floor, room 4548. Definitely a wood view, all we could see from the room were thick trees. The room was rather far from the lobby but very close to an exit which brought us out by the bridge to Boardwalk. We could be at Epcot in just two or three minutes.

The room was a similar size and set up to AKL. Only differences were that the BC room had a couch and there was no door to close off the sink area from the rest of the room. Housekeeping was again every other day but at BC they gave us eight bath towels so we could use a new towel on the second day. We did have to call for more coffee and cups since there was not enough to last two days even though only two of us drink coffee.

We bought breakfast from the Marketplace to eat in the room each day. It doesn’t open until 7:00 so we bought food the night before. The yogurt parfaits were delicious. We got ice cream sandwiches from the Beaches and Cream takeout window one afternoon. We also walked over to YC and had one dinner and one breakfast at Ale & Compass. We really enjoyed both meals there.

DH and DD15 spent one afternoon at the pool. They thought the slide and lazy river were great.

We walked to Epcot several times. For HS we had a pleasant walk there for rope drop while the temperature wasn’t too bad. We took the skyliner back from HS. Took the bus to AK at 6:15 one morning. You can’t beat the location of BC for Epcot. Super convenient.

Genie+/BG1

This worked like a charm for us all week. Thanks @joelbruick for BG1! It made it so easy to book boarding groups and Lightning Lanes. Knowing the drop times was so great. We got Splash for 11:05 at the 10:47 drop at MK. I actually felt a bit guilty as we sped past everyone in the huge standby line. We also got both FEA and Remy on separate days at the 6:47 drop while eating dinner in Epcot. At Epcot, AK and MK we pretty much went from LL to LL all day. HS was a bit tougher but we planned for shows between rides which worked well.

The Parks

We rode practically every ride in the parks during our trip. GOTG was our favourite of the new rides. We rode it three times and loved it. Remy and MMRR were both a lot of fun. I didn’t love ROTR and MFSR as much as I thought I would but still enjoyed them both. Galaxy’s Edge was confusing. We had a terrible time finding anything there.

FOP is still my favourite ride in all of the parks and AK is my favourite park. I could spend the whole day on the safari!

Restaurants

We ate at Sanaa, Skipper’s Canteen, Yak & Yeti, La Hacienda de San Angel, Via Napoli, Teppan Edo, ‘Ohana and Ale & Compass. Every meal was delicious and greatly enjoyed.

For Quick Service, we went to Satuli Canteen, Docking Bay 7, Les Halles Boulangerie and Captain Cook’s. Used mobile order for Satuli and Docking Bay 7 which worked really well.

Summary

Overall a fantastic trip. Thanks to everyone who provided help and support during the planning. You all are so welcoming here on the forum.

18 Likes

Thanks for sharing your trip! I really enjoyed following along.

3 Likes

Great summary! Thanks for sharing your trip.

2 Likes

This was great. What did the birthday girl have to say? And are you planning another trip for DD15’s 16th birthday? :grin:

1 Like

Thanks! The birthday girl had a fabulous time. She loved all of the planning and getting to see all of the parks and dining in so many great restaurants.

We’re doing a Disney cruise over Christmas for DD15’s 16th birthday.

6 Likes

That’s sounds wonderful! I’ll follow that trip report, if you do one, for sure. And if you stop in Nassau, we might be able to have a meet!

2 Likes

We probably won’t pay for wifi on the cruise but I will definitely do a post-trip report for the cruise. No Nassau unfortunately. Virgin Islands instead.

3 Likes