Can you bike to WDW

With the high cost of used vehicles and gas, I was thinking if getting an e-bike.

Are you even allowed to ride a bike to any of the parks, or Disney Springs? Do they have places to lock a bike? Maybe parking at a resort to take the monorail?

A bike is so much better for the environment that you think Disney would encourage it, but I didn’t see anything online.

Anyone else try using a bike at WDW?

Thanks

I’ve only seen Disney police patrolling on bikes at resorts. I’ve not seen any bike racks for storage. I know CMs yell at kids w/ heelys to stop and then tell them they are not allowed.

I wish they would do something about all the adults that let their littles drive the EVCs and run ppl over :rage:

2 Likes

Disney only has recreational bike riding at select resorts. Bike riding is limited to trails and areas with no automobile traffic.

As far as I know there are no facilities at the park entrances for bicycles. Main roads on property are pretty much intended for motor vehicles only. No sidewalks or bike paths.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/bike-rentals/

1 Like

In Florida, bicyclists presumptively have all the same rights as motor vehicles to use public roads (FS 316.2065). However, bicycles are also prohibited from limited-access roads (FS 316.091), which constitute all the general use entrance roads to all four parks. There is also no presumptive right to use private roads, which Disney doesn’t delineate clearly.

There are no public-use bicycle racks or storage areas at any of the parks or Disney Springs, and you would be abandoning your property if you chained it to a tree or other fixed object.

2 Likes

@BGK you sound like you already looked into this (or you work in a law office). Sounds like I am out of luck and Disney is just anti-bike.

Thanks

1 Like

They seem to be ok with ride-shares…

8 Likes

That would work. And I even sing barbershop (baritone), but I don’t have the straw hat.

2 Likes

Sorry, that picture must’ve stung :sob::joy:

1 Like

You do NOT want to ride a bike on the Disney roads. Some of the larger resorts have bike-rental areas but no, Disney is not ‘bike-friendly’ and probably will never be as if they haven’t figured out a way to incorporate bikes now they aren’t going to start. There was a time when you could reasonably figure out how to get from A to B in Disney by car but they have turned regular roads into mini-expressways with on-ramps, off ramps and that kind of stuff so it is not for the feint-of-heart to venture out there in a car. I just got back and attest to it.

3 Likes

I’m a fairly avid biker and would LOVE to be able to commute via bike on Disney property. It would be SO much faster in the mornings. I was at Fort Wilderness in March for just two nights and that was a great biking property but even there they don’t offer multi-day rentals!

This all being said, I’m positive that Disney doesn’t want to “deal with” bikes and bikers. Imagine if there was significant bike traffic along the Crescent Lake walkways or the paths to MK. You just know there would be some incidents. I am also from the suburbs of Boston and I understand what it means to ride with traffic but I would venture to say most do not. And as the previous poster noted, these aren’t country roads we’re talking about.

What Disney would need to do would be to build separate, physically protected bike lanes. Could it be done? Absolutely! Think about under the gondolas around CBR, etc. Those would be great options to say bike to DHS from AoA or Pop. But I would still guess the demand would be limited unfortunately. You gonna bike home from the park at 3pm in the blazing sun and/or driving rain?

2 Likes

If that could absolutely be done, then…

… the answer to this would be for them to add a whole bunch of bikes into ‘stations’ at park and resort entrances and let guests bike from station to station where they leave the bike there for guests going in the opposite direction. If they have enough bikes, then there would be enough movement during the day to keep the stock at each station in good supply.
At the end of the day (or periodically through the day if there’s build up) CMs could gather stray bikes on a wagon and stock them at the resort stations.
They could have a bunch of bike enthusiast CMs who patrol the bike paths with spare bikes on tow for any punctures or chain issues etc and then fix them up again back at the stations. :bike::bike::bike::bike::bike:

3 Likes

Omg I LOVE this idea!!

Says the woman who rode her son’s 16" bike home from school today because I didn’t feel like walking it back or coming back later. Moving bikes would be my dream Disney job! (not interacting with guests being a top priority)

2 Likes