Can I change park days...and what's this rain mean?!

We are headed on our first trip to Disney next week! By this point I know about the heat, humidity, and afternoon showers to expect in June. However, many of our days show 90-100% chance of rain for most of the day. Does this mean constant rain during this time? Or does it still mean the quick shower is guaranteed off and on?

Leading into this, one of our days is a free day that we decided to sleep in and then spend the afternoon visiting HS a second time. But, if our AK or Epcot day is all rain and we miss doing a lot of what we wanted at those parks, can I change this free day to one of those other parks? When I go into the Disney app, it only lets me modify FPP to other HS rides. I don’t see how to change them all to another park?

3 Likes

Most likely it’s a passing shower. They don’t know when it will hit so that’s what it shows. Look for total rainfall as a better indicator.

3 Likes

This was our forecast for our visit May 4-10. It rained the day we arrived which wasn’t a big deal since we arrived in the evening. On May 5th, we had rain on our only day to visit AK. Rain is doable if you have rain ponchos that cover you well. I had bought a pack of 8 brightly colored disposable ones from Amazon. The only problem is when there is a real thunderstorm with lightning. Outdoor rides, like EE, get shutdown. We had to just seek shelter quickly (under a metal roof in Asia!) and wait for the fast moving storm to pass. Hopefully a storm like this will happen while you are inside watching a show (and AK has some good ones like The Lion King) or waiting in a sheltered long line. We ended up not missing anything we wanted to see or do. Luckily you have a freed day when you can go back and see what you missed.

“If you don’t like the weather at WDW in May, just wait an hour.” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m heading out next Friday, just to pass the time I did a screenshot on my computer on Wednesday, the forecasts have already bounced around on the chances of rain, only today and tomorrow hadn’t changed forecasts. So honestly it could change quite a bit just over the weekend. Plan for rain, and hope for quick midday showers. We have TT and 7DMT FPP for our resort/unplanned days in case our original park days end without riding. Obviously 2 different days, but I missed TT both our Epcot days first vacation lol

Our only June trip was in 2004 and those “afternoon showers” were torrents for hours. Afternoon and evening.
One thing rain means is everyone crowds into stores.
Sometimes we put our sandals and ponchos on and toured in the rain. Sometimes we abandoned the park to go back to our resort. Usually when there was thunder.
We got caught poncho-less at AK one day. Walking out of the park drenched I realized I’d be freezing on the bus. Went into that last shop and bought a beach towel. Best souvenir ever. It’s been so handy over the years.

1 Like

It depends. Does it show 90% when you look at the hour by hour view? If every hour shows 90% then I would prepare for a rainy day. On the other hand if the day itself shows 90% but the hour by hour does not, it’s probably passing weather.

If it looks like a washout I think you’re on the right track with considering swapping days, and the information posted by the others will guide you as to how.

1 Like

I just checked Dark Sky forecast and it looks like they are calling for light rain an hour or 2 a day. This could change daily though as you get closer.

2 Likes

I checked the forecast in Accuweather and I agree - the risk of rain is under 50% each day and the narrative suggests passing showers and t-storms.

Keep an eye on things as it gets closer and swap around if you think you need to

2 Likes

Just checked as well on the weather channel app and each day it just says scattered pop up showers and storms.

1 Like

I’ll check again…and keep checking :rofl: Thank you!