Buses/uber/lyft

IKR. It’s like I’m getting old or something or maybe it’s just being locked in the house unless I’m at Disney for the last two years but I find driving really stressful and exhausting. I remember when I was a teen and it was heaven.

3 Likes

We had no major issues getting lyfts/ubers for rides around the park over xmas, so wouldn’t worry too much any other time of year. I panicked over delays first morning when late for rope drop, but it was only about 15 minutes and I did get perspective quickly. (I’d agree on just ordering two)

1 Like

I am not going to link the picture here since it is posted in LaCava BUT a liner arrived late at MCO this week and the Lyft prices ranged from $71-122 one way to Pop.

You have options on property but at MCO those options can be limited .

2 Likes

Our Mears taxi from WL to MCO was like $70. But it was the only option, so… :hot_face:

3 Likes

I know this is a year ago but our lift from MCO to Swan was only around $50 (return $40). The driver gave us his card. His mother used to work for Disney and now both drive Uber and Lyft. We personally felt comfortable calling him directly and giving him cash for the ride ( I know this is frowned upon but it was nice to know I could make an actual appointment for a ride with a driver we were acquainted with). We used him 3 times.

3 Likes

Complete tangent (please don’t make a trigonometry joke):

How does everyone feel about the ethics of this? Meaning, a driver giving you their card and having you call them directly the next time instead of going through Uber/Lyft or whoever their service is through?

On the one hand, who cares about Uber/Lyft? They’re huge corporations and are flush with cash. They don’t need my money.

But on the other hand, do the drivers sign an agreement not to do that? It reminds me of my mom’s personal trainer, who left the gym he was working at and pulled a lot of his clients with him (including my mom). The owner of the gym (which was just a small one-off operation) sued the trainer for breaching his non-compete agreement. It could be similar to that.

Maybe it would be more clear cut if the cab service was a smaller mom and pop organization.

1 Like

Im sure he did. DH has a nack for talking to strangers about business related stuff. I coulda sworn they were gonna hug at first drop off (they did handshake which was weird with Covid, hand sanitizer to the rescue)

2 Likes

I’m sure there are some things in place to penalize drivers who get caught doing that. My only concern as a passenger would be safety bc at that point it’s not a business it’s just some random stranger I have no information on if God forbid something happened like we got in an accident.

3 Likes

Just my $0.02 and limited understanding of this, but I see nothing wrong with this cutting out of the middleman. I have a friend that drives Uber as a side gig. The drivers are independent contractors and not employees, so I don’t think Uber/Lyft can have non compete agreements. Uber can’t stop a driver from also driving under Lyft, and vice versa, so also neither can prevent an independent operation that bypasses both to increase profit (although could just deactivate driver from system if they found out and didn’t like it I think). But, for the slight increase in profit, the driver surrenders the liability protection Uber/Lyft provides so they better have the right coverage on their own if something happens.

2 Likes

All very fair points. We went back and forth over it, I ultimately let DH use his judgement. This is a secret but he is usually a much better judge of character and reads situations better then I do (usually, until it comes to feelings and stuff and then he’s obtuse).

3 Likes

I completely lost my faith in my ability to do this at a young age. When I was a teenager, I was driving some friends to an activity of some kind and there was a kid near my parents house who asked for a ride. I didn’t want to do it, but couldn’t say no, so I obliged. He was kind of weird but we dropped him off and it was uneventful.

Or so I thought. After he left the car, one of my friends sitting next to him told me that the whole time he had been playing with a switchblade! :fearful::fearful::fearful:

I’m so glad nothing happened, but I’ll never pick up a stranger after that.

2 Likes

Thats scary! Problem is my DH, in his misguided youth, was probably the one with the switchblade :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Seems like people have very mixed experiences with getting cars. I had no problem getting an Uber a few dec 19-22. We didn’t use one super early though, but afternoon and evening. Got an XL at Poly and Riviera with <10min waits and prices seemed normal.

The driver who finally picked me up at the testing site said that breakfast/park opening and park closing are the busiest times and hardest to get one.