Buffets Returning to Crystal Palace and Biergarten

For me, my love of buffets isn’t about the quantity of food, it is about the quantity of options. I don’t eat much. But a bite of this and a bite of that and a bit of some other thing. So family-style is the absolute worst. The price of buffet with limited variety.

I’ve also never seen anything unsanitary at a buffet. The worst I’ve seen is some dressing landing on the counter as it spills out of the ladle.

3 Likes

Yes! I love to try new things. That’s how I’ve learned I don’t like sushi, but I do love fish tacos.

3 Likes

Is there a typo here?

I thought I was done with buffets, but this seals it for me.

I totally agree, was definitely raised by a mother.who didn’t have sympathy for us being too picky.

I think that brings it around to why I get so anxious when someone else serves my food at a buffet. I don’t want to waste food, so I only want as much as I know I will eat and I don’t want to have to waste the parts that touch.

2 Likes

I :100:agree.
It’s why a normal buffet is very good for my kids. I know they will only eat one chicken tender. Not three. And that one will eat six olives and four baby carrots. Etc.

2 Likes

Same… absolutely delicious. So excited to try LTT for the first time during our October visit!

1 Like

LTT was removed from our bucket list. We aren’t fans of the Thanksgiving meal, and don’t even have it on Thanksgiving. We have lasagna. But I’m a huge fan of colonial America, so that had been my prime TS pick. Our plan was to do a normal order from the menu starting with the Toffee cake.

1 Like

Always.

3 Likes

If they don’t bring the a la carte lunch menu back it will be off my list for next trip. The food is amazing there but DS won’t eat potatoes and neither of us eat mac and cheese.

2 Likes

I’ve never been in them! Which seems miraculous since I’ve eaten their 3 times. But we always did pre-RD breakfast so made the kids go before we went in to eat, ate quickly and went to get in line for a ride.

3 Likes

And in one phrase, the American Revolution is justified!

5 Likes

:joy::joy:

1 Like

Same. At home I would skip entirely, but at a restaurant I try to behave like an adult.

1 Like

There’s a great documentary on Netflix “High on the Hog” that explores the origin of Mac and cheese dating back to George Washington and one of his chefs. Food history is fascinating.

6 Likes

I grew up watching my parents force my sister to eat peas whenever we had them for dinner. She HATES them … to the point where she would swallow them like pills instead of chew them. Some nights she sat there for over an hour after dinner swallowing them 2-3 at a time.

Years later when we had kids, I decided I wasn’t going to force foods on them We encouraged them to try everything, but there weren’t any food showdowns at the dinner table.

While dd was pickier than most through elementary school, she was fine with most foods by high school. It still confounds me that she doesn’t like bacon. :thinking:

Ds is autistic and has a lot of sensory challenges that can also impact his food choices. Since he wasn’t diagnosed until kindergarten, I am grateful that we didn’t force foods when he was younger.

Ds doesn’t feel comfortable with the amount of chewing required to eat meat, so he doesn’t. He also doesn’t like smooth and chunky textures mixed together …like yogurt that isn’t blended but has pieces of fruit in it, or a soup, stew, or even pasta with a chunky tomato sauce.

I received a lot of flack over the years for being a “short order cook” and not just making him eat what was served, but with all the other battles we were helping him through this was not the hill we wanted to die on.

It took a while to figure out the why behind his food choices, but that has been easier as he gets older. I am also not cooking him separate food now… if he doesn’t like what we are making, he is old enough to cook something else for himself! :sunglasses:

8 Likes

It was baked beans for me and I couldn’t eat them at all. I would sit there till bedtime.

2 Likes

I waited till my parents left the room and scraped my plate in the trash. The plate was too clean, so they caught me!

1 Like

Yup… my sister did that, as well as trying to feed them to the dog under the table! Caught every time.

I’m the same way - there are things I don’t like and I wouldn’t want to be forced to eat them, so I don’t force anyone else to either.
DS is still in that very restricted diet stage - most of his meals are from a short list of 5-6 things. He doesn’t eat meat or vegetables, so all his protein comes from PB and dairy, and veggies from smoothies. We tried feeding therapy once and it was super traumatic and none of the foods they got him to eat stuck anyway.
Like you said, this is not the hill I want to die on.

1 Like

Ds is a rising 10th grader and has brought a PB&J sandwich to school or camp (switching out with sunbutter if peanut free) every day for lunch since preK. :sunglasses:

3 Likes