Buffets Returning to Crystal Palace and Biergarten

I did, actually. But it wasn’t a long run (only on weekends) and it was my parents place, so it probably doesn’t count. Everyone who was there was a newbie and apathy hadn’t settled in yet.

1 Like

I’m better than I used to be.

1 Like

That’s a great combo that I never tried til I lived in the south! Coleslaw on a pulled pork sandwich is fantastic!
Now let’s talk about a big scoop of potato salad in a bowl of gumbo.

2 Likes

This is why I definitely qualified that only “certain foods” can touch. Pulled pork and Cole slaw can definitely touch. The pork and the Mac and cheese can touch. But the Cole slaw and the Mac and cheese cannot touch.

So at a buffet where the server puts it on your plate I would be willing to them to have the pork blocking the Mac and Cheese from the Cole slaw.

4 Likes

Generally, I don’t mind food touching. But they did this to me at Liberty Tree Tavern and I didn’t appreciate it at all. :grimacing:

Crystal Palace is beautiful. Who else has this in the bathroom stalls? :heart:

7 Likes

I would not know what to do if someone brought me that plate of food.

And it looks like there is a ton of extra space on that plate so they potentially did it on purpose?

3 Likes

I’ve been a southerner for (checks calendar) 33 days. I am a former NYer who was introduced to pulled pork in 2008, and I have never looked back.

This is hard to follow. I can’t make out the underlying rule. What am I missing.

This looks exquisite to me. Oh wow. I now have LTT on my bucket list.

I never noticed that on the CP bathroom stalls. I love CP for breakfast.

4 Likes

To be fair (since we are sharing food habits), I would eat the green beans first. I always eat my veggie first to get rid of it.

I’m guessing there is a potato of some kind under the meat? At an amusement park, I would be least likely to eat the potato. But if it was touching, no problem. I just would rather fill up on the meat than the potatoes.

If I was at restaurant where I could/would take home leftovers, I would eat some of the potato and leave some of the meat for the next day.

4 Likes

The rules are admittedly murky but I think it involves sweeter foods touching certain savory foods. Some foods (usually the meat) can touch both.

To use a different example, turkey can touch the cranberry salad and it can touch the mashed potatoes, but the cranberry salad should not touch the mashed potatoes. Especially if gravy is imvolved.

4 Likes

It would have been fine if there weren’t so many things on the plate I didn’t like. The foods I liked ended up tasting like the food I didn’t like. It was in that moment I realized perhaps I am a “I don’t want my foods to touch” person. :laughing: I politely asked for more pork - because it was delish - and proceeded to correct their plating issue. The food is still touching, but at a level I could live with. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

OH! Mac and cheese underneath!
I actually make a meal almost the same.
I think it looked fancier in the first place… which is probably why they served it that way? In your photo I would be like, “We had this for dinner last week. Why did I just buy it for $29?”

3 Likes

My best friend from college had so many food-touching rules. Thankfully, it was a buffet and she just got a new plate for each item.

Does it hurt your heart to know I would mix the cranberry salad and the potatoes? (I don’t love potatoes, so I like to give them a hand… :wink: )

Lol! Notice how the green beans have Mac and cheese and pulled pork juice on them. Some folks would have said hell to the nah. I’m not that bad. :hugs:

2 Likes

Yes, 24-hour flu isn’t really a thing. That is food poisoning.

I suspect a lot of that comes from home kitchens though. Like my grandparents that left out food on low for days in a crock-pot.

1 Like

I will have to try it out too. Those green beans look delicious :yum: I would eat them first too, but for a different reason :laughing:
(DH was working away during the week and I had bought a regular amount of green beans for a meal that he was missing. The kids aren’t overly keen, so I had over half my plate covered in green beans :yum::yum:).

3 Likes

I think they did that to make it look like more food than it was. It was “piled high”

5 Likes

Yeah. They didn’t try too hard to fool you. (I have actually rinsed tomatoes off pasta for one of my kids at home when I failed to keep some plain before adding ingredients.)

1 Like

I love green beans. They are one of the few beans DS21 is not allergic to. Turns out his girlfriend hates them. I still love her. I just make some corn when she visits.

3 Likes

Yes, it does. Now, if those were sweet potatoes, you would be just fine.

But in the end,I am more in line with @TheSafetyLady

3 Likes

Yeah - at the end of the day we are amongst the most blessed peoples on the planet. I don’t abide by too much in the way of picky eaters. I get that when you are paying at a restaurant you absolutely should get what you want to eat as you are in that paid-for experience. But when my kids lament the horrors of this or that, there is usually a stand down. (Rinsed macaroni aside, because I pick my battles some days.)

1 Like