Buffet / character meal costs and other dining questions

I am running the numbers to determine if the DDP will be of benefit to us for the end of January trip. There are a few variables, however that may affect the decision:

1. The buffet meal prices are listed as a broad range of $35 to $59 (we have 6 of these booked for the 11 night stay). The other 5 TS meals are not buffet or character. I understand that the price depends on time of year. What would you predict the prices be at the end of January?

2. Not sure if any of the TS restaurants allow to switch desert to appetizer. Specifically looking at the following: Raglan Road, Coral Reef, Skipper Canteen, Sanaa, T-Rex. Does anyone have experience dining in any of these places on DDP?

3. Is kids’ QS credit still the same as adult one? I saw this question answered in 2018 on this forum, but wondering if anything changed since.

Really appreciate your input!

This should help with the buffet prices.

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/disney-world-price-updates-for-buffets-characters-meals-shows-and-all-you-care-to-eat-platters/

3 Likes

This is what I use: https://www.distripplanner.com/

1 Like

In addition, I like this calculator too:

3 Likes

I run the numbers on this one already and it looks we will save around $200.

1 Like

Didn’t know about this site. Will give it a try!

1 Like

These prices are definitely on the higher end of the range. Only makes DDP decision easier.

Two of the four people in our group would be happy to order steak at every meal and I do not want to cringe every time it happens. :roll_eyes:

I like going to AllEars.net to look at prices & menus. The Dining Plan doesn’t work for us!!

1 Like

You’re still going to cringe; just to a lesser extent, as the tip is still calculated on the cost of the steak vs the less expensive item. Those add up apparently!

I can live with the tips. However, 18-20% does seem a bit high.

When we were there last week a kid’s QS credit was the same as an adult’s. We got our 8 year olds adult meals at ABC commissary, Be our Guest, Everything Pop and the quick places at Blizzard beach and Typhoon lagoon.

1 Like

So yesterday I spent some more time crunching numbers and put together the spreadsheet with estimated spendings for every day of our stay. I used the prices from MDE menus and AllEars site.

What do you think the difference with dining plan came to be? $0.57! Yes, fifty seven cents! With 27 snack credits left unused for some free candy to take home :blush:

2 Likes

I would opt not to do it then. It will save you less stress and you won’t be so tied down.

1 Like

Don’t underestimate the size of the meals.
You might wind up throwing away a TON of pre-paid food. Buffets are one thing…but the sizes of some of the meals - both qs, and ts, are not to be taken lightly.

1 Like

Yes, definately do not want to be ‘obligated’ to eat.

That’s the reason we never consider buying the plan.

1 Like

If the math works on paper, give it a go, but, we are big eaters, and could never make the plan work for us unless we split it between two rooms. Way too much food for how we eat - especially when walking around for miles and miles and going on rides. Hope it works out for you! If you need help using snack credits, feel free to send me a dole whip (or 5) and some hummus fries if you find them. I’ll do my part to help out.

1 Like

Where do you get hummus fries? Never seen or heard of these? I’m intrigued!

Morocco for the Food and Wine Festival

2 Likes

Looks yummy!