Breaks during the day - needed?

THIS. A “Plan” is just that - a plan and not a directive. I’ve had well researched and thought out plans, and for one reason or another I have scrapped them two rides into the day. I’ve switched park days “on the fly” and still had a great time. To me, the most valuable part of “planning” is the research that you do in the process. The more you know about WDW, the easier it is for you to make educated alterations to your plans.

4 Likes

@bswan26 and @ezed62 are right on with this advice. Multiple times over our trips my family and I have been able call last-minute “audibles” because of my/our planning. The last thing you want to do is feel like you are beholden to your plans to the detriment of your vacation. Have a plan, definitely, but never feel like that plan can’t be changed, even on the fly.

Remember, just by being on these boards and learning everything you have you will be miles ahead of probably 90% of the people at a Disney park on any given day. Allow yourself to go with your gut and cancel (or better yet, modify!) FP’s if your family needs a break. And if you planned a break but a thunderstorm just blew through MK and cleared out the park just before you planned to leave for a break, feel free to stay longer than you planned.

It’s hard to explain here, but somehow my Type A planning prior to a trip makes it easier to go with the flow once we get there.

7 Likes

This a million times over. You don’t do all of this planning to end up with the perfect plan (although you try!!), you do all of this planning so that you are prepared for whatever comes your way. All the planning means that you know your way around the parks, where all the rides are, what typical wait times are, when and where the shows are, etc. You will have hiccups, it’s inevitable. But your planning will pay off in your ability to adjust on the fly.

7 Likes

No, breaks are not needed. Why spend all that money going to Disney to waste time leaving the park to take a nap or shower or swim? Get your fun on at the parks. When you’re done, head back to your resort and shower and swim to your heart’s content. You can even take an eight-hour nap and do it all again when you wake up the next day. I was there back in February/March. I had a two-year-old and a one-year-old as well as four other adults in my group. The thought of all of us leaving the parks just to “take a break” is crazy. If you need a break, grab a snack and take a seat somewhere. That’s too much wasted time coming and going to the parks just for a rest.

4 Likes

This is the key statement. In Feb or Mar I quite agree with you. Try it in July, or worse, in August. I think (hope) your opinion will change. I did it once back in my early 20s, nearly passed out, and swore I would never do it again (I haven’t); now, at 60, it would literally send me to the ER. Forcing a 1 or 2 year old to endure that kind of heat and humidity for 10-12 hours straight, IMHO, is irresponsible.

4 Likes

What @bswan26 said. Not to mention that as well as being much cooler in Feb/March, the hours are much shorter. I’ve been in MK in July/Aug from 8am-1am. There’s certainly no time after that to enjoy the pool at the resort I have paid an exorbitant price to stay at. Neither is there time for an ‘8 hour nap’ before I do it again the next day. But that’s fine, because I leave around 1pm, have a swim, have a nap, put on fresh not-sweaty clothes, and head back about 5pm. Plenty of park time, swim time, nap time. You don’t need it in winter. You should definitely consider it in summer. You don’t have to do it, but something has to give somewhere.

2 Likes

Yes, I went back in February/March where the temperature was a blizzard-like 80-90 degrees, but even in such cold conditions I was prepared. Maybe it was irresponsible to have had them wearing winter coats and sweatpants, but it was February/March after all. Don’t you worry. I kept my little ones well hydrated. Heck, I even had the foresight to bring cooling fans and cooling towels just for them. Fortunately, the parks even had this new invention called air conditioning in their buildings. Boy I tell you what. Them there folks at Disney have all the latest technology. Having grown up in Florida/Georgia and having been to Disney during June, July, and August, I am well use to the weather. So for us young bucks (42 years old), I think we can brave the heat and humidity. I think when I’m 60, I’ll be more worried about falling down and not being able to get up. -Make Mine Disney

I never said I stayed at the parks from open to close. If you choose to stay until 1am, then that’s on you for missing out on some refreshing pool time at the end of the day and an “eight hour nap”. To each their own. But strictly speaking opportunity cost (for all you macroeconomics students out there) time management versus financial investment, you’re losing out by leaving the park mid-day to do all the things you could day at the end of the day. It all comes down to planning.

But it’s time away from the parks whenever you choose to take it, and the lines in the evening are much shorter than the lines in the afternoon, meaning that you get more done in less time. So who’s missing out? I’d argue it’s not me. But everyone has to do what works for them. I am just pointing out your blanket statement that ‘This is the only right way to do it’ isn’t actually the case.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more

1 Like

Exactly! And who decided that anytime spent at Disney not at the parks isn’t a good vacation “return on investment”? I for one enjoy time spent at the resorts as well. Plus, a break doesn’t have to be “leave the parks, go to your room, turn out the lights and nap for two hours”. It can involve pool time, resort dining, or simply enjoying the other options the resorts have to offer.

1 Like

Some people have been known to stay at a Disney resort and whispers not visit a park at all. That wouldn’t be my choice. But it doesn’t have to be. We are all free to have the holiday we want.

Almost been there - almost did that.

7 day resort stay, 4 day park tickets. Wow.

A whole new World.

2 Likes

I’m big on the ROI phrase.
When you look at the price of the whole trip as a package you are likely willing to consider time doing anything you enjoy part of the investment.
When, like me, I’m renting a house off property for two weeks at $115 a night for 10 people, I don’t need to spend any time there beyond sleeping and showering to feel like I’ve gotten a ROI for lodging. When I buy tickets for 8 of us for $2500 for 5 days, I consider any time the park is open that I’m not using what my ticket entitled me to as a loss on my ROI.

Bottom line is each person has to determine what is most beneficial for their personality. I’m not giving up a moment of park time if I don’t have to. :heart: My budget is very tight and it pains me to not meet my goals.

2 Likes

I don’t believe I ever said it was the only right way to do it. I referenced the term “Opportunity Cost” which represents the benefits an individual misses out on when choosing one alternative over another. For me, going at the end of February/beginning of March when the parks close early, taking a mid-day break would cost me valuable time in the parks resulting in a negative return on my investment. Let’s not forget the whole point of Touring Plans is to plan your days at the parks/resorts to get the most out of your time. Like I said before, it all comes down to planning.

We like to take in park breaks. We rope drop and plan a TS ADR for lunch followed by an air conditioned show or two. This recharges us enough to keep going. We don’t stay until park close most nights although we are trying MNSSHP this year. We usually see a couple evening shows, but need to get to bed at a reasonable time to be early for RD the next morning. We go in August, so the air conditioned break in the middle is essential. But the bus ride is longer than we want to actually go back to the hotel, so the ADR and shows works for us. We can swim, etc in the evening if we want. My kids are 13 and 15 this year, so maybe we will stay later in the parks than last time, but I still like the freedom to go back to the hotel if we are exhausted or feeling done for the day.

3 Likes

Going with older (but still young) kids is a whole lot different that going with 1 and 2 year olds. When my kids were that young, they would have spent a lot of the Disney trip in a stroller or baby carrier and would have been able to nap any time they needed to as we made our way through the park. Elementary schoolers who have to walk can get very worn out even with breaks at Disney.

2 Likes

Actually the point of TP is to wait less in line. But it’s up to each person to decide how many attractions to visit and what hours each day to be in a park because getting the most out of your money doesn’t always mean being park touring commandos

6 Likes

Yep, that’s what I said. The point of TP is to plan your day at the parks/resorts to get the most out of your time. Waiting less in line is part of planning your day at the park while getting the most out of your time. Thanks for reiterating that.

Why are you so abrasive about this? Most of us here are just having a conversation. You seem almost angry about it. The general point is a break is required for some and not at all for others. And both people are right provided they are acting in accordance of what their travel party needs.

9 Likes