BREAKING: Complimentary MagicBands for Walt Disney World Resort Hotel Guests

Well that sucks. :unamused:

But I guess my main reason for making that comment was the fact that Disney keeps taking away the complimentary items only to put more money in their pocket and to suck money out of ours.

3 Likes
  1. I don’t want to pay for them. Again a money grab.
  2. MB don’t last forever. I doubt I can use the ones I have from 2014.
3 Likes

You can, for tapstyles and opening rooms. They use NFC for that, so a battery isn’t needed. It won’t work for photo pass, etc

1 Like

Beyond this, I was already burning down my battery using the phone for FPs and such. There wasn’t even mobile ordering when I was there. I already could not make an entire day without recharging.

4 Likes

I have my phone out all the time while at Disney trying to get better fast passes BUT my phone doesn’t always work like it should at Disney.

Sprint merged with TMobile and my phone is giving me horrible grief away from Disney.

I hope they are upgrading their WiFi with this change.

1 Like

Only if I buy them, why should I, I pay enough to park at their hotels, stay in them and use their parks - what next pay to use the pools?

1 Like

If they’re doing away with FP, not as much of a reason to need MagicBands…

You can.

I have.

Do I have to? :smiley:

I’m all for using my phone anyway, I was wishing for the ability to use my phone a long time ago. Since mobile ordering is a thing, I can’t see going to the parks without it. Plus it’s my camera. If I can be responsible for park entry for my whole family with just one phone I’ll be thrilled. This could potentially speed up park entrance, except I assume they’ll want a fingerprint for everyone. Maybe they’ll combine this with facial recognition to identify which members of your group are entering.

Depends on the phone… Last year I went to the parks and had plenty of battery life. My oldest son ran out of battery by 3 PM. And not bc he was on it anymore than me.
I have a Galaxy S10. He has a BLU phone. We both got them around the same time.

1 Like

I was replying about using 2014 magic bands which is not anything to do with phones. Not sure what you thought I was replying to?

Oh faceless. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Accident. Meant to reply to citizen progress about battery life on phones.

1 Like

Oh ok :disappointed:

I don’t know why you are so angry about this any any differing opinion. I am far from the only person unhappy with this, or who views it as yet another cash grab by Disney.

1 Like

Who is angry?
Not me.

I was frustrated that people were calling it something it isn’t, but I’m not angry. I don’t have space in my life for angry over things like this. There are far more important things I give that sort of energy to.

Perhaps it’s the screens between us leaving that impression. As often happens in the online world, words without facial expression, body language, and voice intonation can leave one reading things differently than the writer intends.

We are still friends, as far as I am concerned.

Looking back this particular response was discussing whether or not magic bands last forever. While I can’t say “forever” I have generation 1 bands that I have recently used. Those are ancient. I said you can still use them, and I have. I’m not sure why that came across angry, but I wasn’t and I apologize for giving that impression.

1 Like

The first response, not the second.

My MB must be around if not actually 1st. I cannot believe they would actually still work. Assuming I could even find them.

But this doesn’t change that I have a negative reaction to this news. Particularly with all going on right now.

1 Like

To be clear- because I don’t think I was, I’m not holding anything against you or such. If you dislike or are frustrated by me or anyone else completely disliking paying for MBs: ok, cool.
The strong reaction was to me blindside-y.

1 Like

There are two technologies in MagicBands. One (NFC) does not require any power source at all. That’s because with NFC, the power source is a magnetic field that radiates from the device you are tapping. This is how, for example, work badges work, etc. You hold the MagicBand close to the tapstyle, which is generating a low-range magnetic field. This in turn causes a component in the MagicBand to generate electricity from this magnetic field, which powers a radio transmitter that transmits the hard-coded ID number of the MagicBand. Then, an antenna in the TapStyle receives the radio signal from the band and then processes the information.

As such, the NFC portion of a MagicBand will never “stop working” unless you actually physically damage it.

Then, there is the Bluetooth Low Energy part. While BTLE uses very low power, it still requires a battery. Small lithium batteries can power a BTLE radio in a MagicBand for 2+ years (from the time it was manufactured) (although…I also wonder if a MagicBand doesn’t turn on BTLE until the first time it is used via NFC in order to preserve the battery…but I’m not sure on that one). BTLE, unlike NFC, can transmit up to a few hundred meters. NFC must literally be no more than a couple inches.

1 Like

Someone asked earlier, and I don’t think that there was a response. What about ride photos? I would think that would use the BTLE part. I really don’t want to turn that on in my phone.

Disney is slowly turning my attitude of “Goodie, Goodie, Finally, after 40+ years!” to “Disney can kiss my shiny metal ass.” Daughter was told, so the trip will happen, but I might be grumpy.

1 Like