350 New DVC Cabins Coming to Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort &

Oh thats right, new Poly DVCs in 2024 as well! Maybe all this additional DVC inventory will even the playing field a bit. I guess they may sell the Fort cabins as a home resort then?

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s a DVC resort that isn’t a home resort so that would make sense.

3 Likes

I think it may depend on the pricepoint. You know the cash price will go way up. Probably more in line with a DVC 1 bedroom

2 Likes

Yes, this is what sucks for us cash paying people. A cabin would cost about 550 a night and I one bedroom at OKW or SSR (which I think would be comparable) are about 730-740/night during the same week. That would be a huge increase in cost for the cabins. On a positive note…when they are DVC and there is a discount available to use then it could be OK

2 Likes

It definitely sucks for non-DVC members. There really are limited options now for people who want more space/more than 2 beds.

4 Likes

With the summer discount, we are paying $400 a night in June. I think that’s an excellent price for that amount of space.

1 Like

I agree and that is what I was hoping for next summer. They are even usually less expensive than the suites at AoA as well. Sad that we are losing this option.

Bonus for those DVC peeps, they are still keeping some cabins as dog friendly so it will still be a choice for me ahead of any other 1 bdrm dvc villa and a first for DVC I believe?

1 Like

I do think you’ll be okay for next summer
My recommendation would be to book that room as soon as it opens - which has historically been sometime in June

2 Likes

good recommendation, As soon as they release the 2024 rates I am on it :wink:

2 Likes

There’s also the chance of renting points for a stay if you’re not staying at a peak time.

Also, I don’t know that they really will be comparable… I really don’t think you’re getting the big luxury bathroom or the same living spacethat you get in a 1-br. I just can’t see that working out in a remotely similar footprint to the current cabins, especially if they’re promising a big porch. I just checked… a 1 bedroom at SSR is 41% more square feet than a wilderness cabin, so even if they sacrifice a handful they’re not making up nearly that much space.

2 Likes

Thats is good to know! So maybe it wont be so bad.

I have always thought about renting points. Just never pulled the trigger…too scared of something coming up and losing money. This may be the one time I do it though.

Interested to see what they do with the inside of the cabin.

1 Like

My guess is that some of the space will be used to build the pool and other amenities in a central location.

They’re going to have to do something to make give them a deluxe feel if they want to sell points. I think this will take a while to sell out, but there really isn’t a rush. If they declare them in small numbers at a time Disney will have lots of cabins to sell to the regular resort guests, whilst DVC foot the bill to replace the cabins - which will be way cheaper than actually building a resort or even flipping rooms.

3 Likes

Totally agree! There is a small pool in the area of the cabins but it small and def not deluxe. Needs a snack bar and a slide for sure.

1 Like

They have said there will be a new pool. And they’ll need a pool bar and QS at the very least IMO.

4 Likes

Regarding getting people to book there or buy in, there are some who really like having your own separate unit where you don’t have any hallways or shared walls or ceiling/floor noise. That is the #2 reason my sister loves the cabins. #1 is being able to rent a golf cart and drive yourself to everything yourself… this was especially useful when we were when there was a nearby hurricane and it trained hard almost every day.

3 Likes

The 2 reasons you mentioned are absolutley some of the same reasons why I find the cabins appealing for me. I think for dvc members, whether it will be appealing enough to use their points there will depend on many factors. I have no doubt many dvc members will enjoybthis option.

For me it is already appealing as is…after they make all these changes I imagine it will be even more appealing for me because it is new and updated. But if the upgrades they do make to the cabins hike the price way too much then we will have no choice to pass on that option. That sucks. Another moderate option gone :pensive:

2 Likes

Any word on when the construction will begin? We are going in the middle of June and just wondering if we will have to deal with construction while we are there.

1 Like

No idea on when construction starts. Here’s a recent TP blog about this.

2 Likes

They have said all bookings for 2023 will be honoured. And the cabins will be constructed offsite and moved in.

So I would think the construction of a new pool etc will be about as bad as it gets this year, and I’m not even sure they’ll start that soon. I would think they’ll look to reduce bookings for next year so they can take a loop out of action to start building the new facilities.

3 Likes

I agree. Since they are building the cabins off site they can wait a bit before starting the change over. Wonder if they will just haul the current cabins away and deconstruct them elsewhere as well. If thats the case they could make this change over pretty quickly.

1 Like