BoilerMom's May 2024 Trip

Hi everyone. It’s been way too long since I visited the forum, but I’m happy to be back because we’re making a trip back to Disney World! We last visited as a family in 2021 so a lot has changed since then. We’re now a family of 6 (2 adults, 4 girls aged 1-9) plus my 2 parents (who are generously sharing their room with 2 of our kids) are tagging along. Of note, my oldest is 9 years old & I think this is probably our last “magical” trip.

Trip dates: 5/25-6/1

Resort: Currently debating between 2 rooms at Pop, 2 rooms at AoA (we loved it in 2021), or 2 studios at BLT

As we evaluate resort options, I would value your feedback. All of these options are in our current budget. I absolutely love the idea of staying at Bay Lake to be walking distance to MK, but will we be sad at the lack of theming? Our last trip was at AoA and the kids LOVED all of the statues & the theme. Any feedback on pools, QD options, playgrounds, bus service, etc?

Additionally this is the first time our family has traveled in a non-party season. Will we be okay without hoppers since we aren’t dodging early closings?

How are crowds during the week of Memorial Day? I looked back through TP’s historical data & can’t really find a consistent pattern.

Lastly- can someone point me to the best threads for Genie+, Standby Skipper, BG1 & all associated shenanigans?

7 Likes

Hooray! I would absolutely NOT stay at BLT. Those rooms are small and in dire need of a remodel. Other than the kitchenette and walking to MK it is a serious downgrade from even a value resort room. With littles I would definitely stay somewhere like Pop or AoA for all the fun character details.

The threads you’re looking for should be pinned in the top of LaCava in the Forum.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this feedback! I’m so sad the rooms are so boring.

3 Likes

I agree that location is the best plus for BLT. Use the savings by getting a preferred room at AoA or Pop so you don’t have to walk as far, which is the worst part of those resorts. Your kids will enjoy the theming there much more, plus the Skyliner is an attraction in and of itself.

The pinned thread in La Cava created by @bebe80 has links and descriptions to everything you need to know to be a savvy traveler.

P.S. Welcome back to the forum! Good to see you around.

3 Likes

I’d definitely stay at Pop for the theming and access to the Skyliner. There is only one dining option there, Everything Pop, and it has a little something for everyone. You’ll have more options at BLT, but Pop is great for a quick breakfast or after park snack. There’s three ordinary pools at Pop with no slides, so if that’s something you’re after… Take a small piece of the savings and get the preferred room or preferred pool view at Pop and use the rest towards G+ and Mickey Sandwiches.

1 Like

Definite added bonus for those resorts.

2 Likes

Correct.

1 Like

I don’t think AoA has any preferred standard rooms. It’s not a bookable category, like Pop has, and LM rooms are all in the furthest cluster of buildings. Only the various family suites are in the buildings close to things like food and transportation.

@BoilerMomPharmD - When you were at AoA in 2021, did you have a standard room (LM) or a suite? If you had a standard room, do you remember how well you did with that distance?

3 Likes

It was honestly fine for us. Was it a little annoying when walking to the pool or the food court? Sure, a little. But my kids really enjoyed the statues & the Lion King bones along the way.

4 Likes

Welcome back!! And so exciting!!! We’ve never stayed at any of those resorts so I’m not super helpful with tips but your trip is making me feel nostalgic. The last time both of my parents were able to go with us my kids were 2, 4, 6, and 8 and it was so magical. You are probably correct in that it might be the last magical trip with your oldest from an awe perspective. My oldest did BBB on that trip and it was probably the last time we could’ve done that and her not felt too old.

Would y’all consider renting DVC? That trip I’m referencing we had two standard rooms at the Poly. It was fine and the rooms were adequate but since then we’ve stayed in 2 BDR villas and they have much more elbow room.

My kids and I were there in May 2021 but I think we left right before Memorial Day. May was lovely - weather wise. Crowd wise I don’t remember it being bad at all but masks were still a thing then so it’s hard to tell if we experienced normal May crowds or not.

3 Likes

Thanks! It feels good to be back & planning again. Quickly discovering that planning for a family of 6 is MUCH more expensive!

If we did BLT studios we would rent DVC. I love the idea but I think a 2 BR is out of our budget pricewise unless we stay at Saratoga. I think I’d rather be closer to the Skyliner and slightly squished?

The crowd data is pretty wild when I compare the week of Memorial Day across the past several years. One thing that seems consistent is that MK is the least busy park on Memorial Day which I find surprising.

4 Likes

Yes, that 4th kid really messes things up don’t they?! Its a good thing they are so darn cute and have the rest of us wrapped around their fingers…

The SL is the best. I agree 100%. And if grandparents are willing to have a couple kids in their room it shouldn’t be too bad.

That is really surprising. Wonder why that is…I think you’re experienced enough from your previous trips to where CL won’t throw you too much. I wouldn’t sweat that part!

4 Likes

How do we feel about DVC Poly studios? :grimacing:

3 Likes

If you are talking about the DVC deluxe studios then, they are some of my favorite rooms on property! I love having the second bathroom and extra space over other studios on property. They did a soft goods refurbishment recently and the rooms are so cute! The new pull down beds are so much better than the old sofa beds too.

3 Likes

We loved staying in a Poly DVC studio. Queen bed, plus an adorable pull down queen and the extra bed in the cupboard. Plus 2 bathrooms!

1 Like

Yes! DVC studios. I’m obsessed after watching a few room tours on Youtube.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

They are the bestest studios ever. Seriously.

1 Like

I love the Poly studios! And the resort has one of the best vibes / theming – maybe second to AKL (but with the benefit of better location and transport options).

2 Likes

I’m not positive, but I think connecting rooms at the Poly would only be a request; ie not something you can book.