Bob Iger emailed me!

Did you get an email?

• Yes
  • No
  • Don’t Know

0 voters

What are your affiliations? (Select all that apply)

• Disneyland Magic Key
  • WDW AP
  • D23 membership
  • Disney+ subscription
  • MDE / Disney site login
  • Other

0 voters

2 Likes

Scott Gustin says it is D23 members:

https://twitter.com/scottgustin/status/1605735830982574081?s=46&t=fFpISP22iWkyTYiNDMXxkw

2 Likes

My “Other” is DVC, but without “membership benefits”.

3 Likes

He is wrong though, because I have never had a D23 membership.

6 Likes

Are you sure you didn’t sign up for the free one to get the three-year Disney+ deal in 2019? That’s what I did.

But it is probably also to other blocs, like APs. That would explain why you’d have gotten one.

4 Likes

It’s definitely not DVC, direct or resale.

This will piss off the membership.

Related: why am I not AP? Can’t buy one.

6 Likes

Nope. Believe it or not, I didn’t subscribe to Disney Plus until this summer. Really only got it for the discounted WDW rooms (used it this summer at Pop), and to watch Dancing with the Stars this fall.

3 Likes

I heard people are still getting them, that they are coming out on a rolling basis :woman_shrugging:

I did not get one. I did get a survey about my upcoming trip!

4 Likes

Send it to Len and become podcast-mention famous!

4 Likes

It was a repeat until about halfway through so I stopped taking screenshots. :pensive:

It was extensive and all about money, why I liked the “deal” I got and ways I plan on saving money on thos trip.

But you remind me I was asked if I wanted to join a focus group awhile back (the timing didnt work out). Before I could qualify they asked me to fill out a survey. The entire thing was on my “green” habits and values. It was so confusing - never expected a survey from Disney on global warming! I need to send those screenshots in if I still have them!

4 Likes

My “other” is the non-paid D23 membership.

2 Likes

My “other” is I’m a CM :grin:

3 Likes

I used to be an exec ghostwriter. I think one of the main differences in the Bobs is that iger has a really, really good one.

I once wrote a killer holiday message that went to 35k employees. The ceo had nothing to do with it other than I tried to channel his voice, and he gave a stamp of approval before it went out. It got more responses than any other CEO message, all of them positive. Those two paragraphs are one of my proudest career moments :joy:

Iger’s writer likely spends a good bit of time as a fly on the wall, absorbing his general affect and taking notes on not just what he says but how he says it. Being invited to the room where it happens requires a level of respect for the position of ghostwriter that some execs don’t have… And their images suffer as a result.

14 Likes

I have the free D23 membership. It would be that one because I never get WDW AP emails.

5 Likes

So you’re saying Chapek didn’t let his in? :wink:

3 Likes

Now I feel like a kid that was just told Santa isn’t real!

5 Likes

Yep. DVC Direct member.

Also pisses me off.

4 Likes

While what @FOMOm_VA said is true…execs would rarely have the time to write (well) these kinds of things on their own when they need to be focused on the actual job, something to keep in mind is that the one being ghostwritten FOR (meaning Iger in this case) would provide feedback to ensure the voice is correct. Meaning, regardless of the quality of the ghostwriter, it still would fall to the exec in this case to make sure the final product is something they are happy with. Put another way, the quality of the letter is still a reflection of the quality of the exec behind it!

(I did ghostwriting for two published books, one of which was non-fiction, and can attest that while I worked hard to capture of the voice of the public speaker I was writing for, they still would come back with minor edits on anything they felt I didn’t have quite right.)

7 Likes

Once again the “Cash Cow” is getting slighted…

2 Likes

Yes, this is 100% part of the respect thing I mentioned. If you don’t think all this little piddly stuff matters, it shows in inconsistent messaging and a disjointed, inauthentic voice. Some execs understand the importance of messages like this and work with the writer and ensure they’re around enough to absorb enough to do a good job, and many of them think it’s beneath them to bother with such things.

7 Likes