Board Games - distraction from WDW

I’m a big fan of CAH.

Given how much of a musician I am, I’m sure it will not surprise you that games of the same basic rules called “Choirs are Horrible” and “Band is Horrible”. I understand there’s also one for Handbell Choirs, but I don’t have that one yet…

That is under our tree as I type. I am excited that my boys are finally old enough (in our household) to play!

Took your advice and it’s under the Christmas tree for DW - I’ll post my review at some future time…

3 Likes

We really enjoy playing Pit and Mr. Toast. They might not sound fun but they are great!

1 Like

I’m surprised there isn’t Catan listed yet. Usually that and ticket to ride seem to be the biggest “starters” into games. We enjoy Carcossonne and my 5.5 year old is starting to learn it. Christmas we were given Agricola, Puerto Rico and Scythe so we are excited to try them out. I also got my daughter sushi go so i’m hoping that one may be an easy one to take on our upcoming vacation.

I’ll add the Bonanza bean game would be a good travel game and my 5.5 year old is currently laughing her head off at don’t upset me.

2 Likes

Yes! We love Settlers of Catan and have the extensions. Carcassonne is also a favorite of ours. My older sons have gotten me hooked on the “anti-Catan” game called Spirit Island, also really cool.

Oh! I’ve been wanting to play Spirit Island! We have a friend who got it for Christmas, but haven’t gotten together with him, yet, to play.

1 Like

My son just got Scythe for Christmas. I didn’t play it, but two of my boys did. Took them about 1 1/2 hours just to set up and get through the rules, then they played for another 2 hours. I glanced at the rules, and noted about how you aren’t, apparently, allowed to do the same of the four things (whatever those things are) twice in a row. My son looked at me and said, “Oh. That would have made the game so much more interesting if we had actually followed that rule!”

It looks interesting and fun, almost a mixture of Risk and Settlers of Catan. But I just can’t find a spare 2 hours to devote to a game.

On New Year’s Eve, we always do family games. We did the Harry Potter Clue game (which has a few interesting modifications to the traditional rules), Taboo (which is great with a large group…we had nine people), and Bubble Talk (which is kind of a variation of Apples to Apples, but you have to find the best capture for the silly pictures).

We went to a multigenerational Christmas party where the millennials were all playing Catan and happily showing me how it worked. Then they went downstairs, switched to Cards Against Humanity and kicked me out!:rofl:

3 Likes

LOL! I played that with some work peeps during our last retreat. I was so embarrassed! No way would I play that with my millennial kids. Heck, I don’t think I will play it again, ever.

1 Like

So many good games… Our DS8 has also been into games for a long time and is now starting to be able to play some of the more advanced ones. But some of our favorites:

Catan
Carcassone
Dominion
Notre Dame
Machi Koro
Ticket to Ride
Sushi Go Party
Go nuts for Donuts
Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert
Kingdominos
Ticket to Ride
Uno
3 Up 3 Down
Bold

For Christmas we got:
Megaland
Ticket to Ride Europe
Forbidden Sky
Quixx
Quadropolis

We have a bunch of others, but these are the ones I could think of off the top of my head :slight_smile: