Bit of memobrilia - River Country - made me laugh

I do scrapbooking and was just going through a box of stuff and out of the blue this was in there.

This is from late Sept/early Oct 1982. My first trip to Disney, and I was at the Grand opening of Epcot. I have those tickets somewhere as well.

My funny story about River Country. There was a rope that you grab onto and swing into the lake. Well before I could let go, the top of my bathing suit fell down, giving everyone a nice view of me! I was SOOOO embarrassed! I’m over it though. LOL

Just hoping this brings a smile to someone, in these depressing times!

14 Likes

Oh my goodness I remember going to river country as a kid! So fun - luckily no bathing suit malfunctions occurred but as a 7 year old no one probably would have cared :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I remember visiting River Country as a kid. I wish my family had saved things like this.

2 Likes

I always wanted to go to River Country as a kid, but we never had enough time. By the time we got into longer trips (5+ days), it was closed.

Most Disney fans mourn the loss of their favorite attraction like Horizons, the original Journey into Imagination. I mourn River Country.

4 Likes

I’d never heard of it before I started planning my first Disney trip as an adult, maybe around 2017? Which is funny, because it was actually open the one time my parents took me as a kid. They managed to prevent me and my brother from knowing it existed. :rofl:

3 Likes

We went to River Country on our first trip in 1992, loved it!

2 Likes

I went to River country, I think it was in 1980.

2 Likes

We had so much fun there!!! We took turns trying to slow the raft under the waterfalls! Loved swinging on the rope! One of our best days ever!!!

1 Like

Julsie, That is funny, sounds like something I would do as a parent, not so much now, but if I was on a budget TFS

We went to River Country for my 8th birthday in 1991! I still have so many (fuzzy) great memories of it and even a few pictures. I just loved the theming and I was just old enough to do a couple of things by myself. I’m just so sad that they never revitalized it.

6 Likes

The slide with the drop into the lagoon is what I remember. That and jetskis in the lake which we didn’t rent.

2 Likes

It was still there for my son’s first trip 2001. We did other water parks. I had already been there and wanted to try new. I think it closed soon after our visit.

1 Like

Nice memorabilia! River Country was my favorite water park. I don’t like BB, but will accept TL as a second to RC. They are supposed to be building a new resort on the RC site. C-19 paused the construction.

That slide with the drop made an appearance in the Sing-Along video segment “Campout at WDW” which I watched a lot as a kid!

Adding in: Volcano Bay has drop slides that throw you in 4-6 ft above the pool. Not the same theming as River Country, but my family really enjoyed VB.

1 Like

The ones at VB didn’t scare me quite as much!

1 Like

The River Country drop slides looked crazy! They just pitched the rider right over the pool. The VB ones are normal water slides with a thrilling finish.

1 Like