Biden Administration Reportedly Considers Florida Travel Ban

I think most of the Disney news blogs have picked up this story. Not sure how reliable it is, but it’s definitely causing some panic in various Disney groups!

2 Likes

Seems to be sourced from a Miami Herald article: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article249154715.html

2 Likes

I’m going to be interested to see how this thread develops. The ones I’ve seen on Facebook — groups like DFB, not crazy ones — have been overwhelmed by comments that strike me, a humble Brit, as inexplicably bizarre. You people are cray cray.

13 Likes

Off to stalk the DFB group!

4 Likes

That was a mistake. I don’t think I even read 1/4 of the comments.

3 Likes

I don’t usually, but I was interested. I don’t know how typical those views are, but they were very much in the majority of the comments.

2 Likes

I really hope this doesn’t happen. Or if it does, I hope it is very short lived. Based on the experts I follow, I’m of the opinion that the UK and SA variants will be responsive enough to vaccination and previous infection that we should be ok. Cases are still dropping like a rock both here and in the UK, though of course the UK has a lockdown to help things along.

The variant I’m concerned about is the Brazil one. There’s not enough data on that one yet, but it seems to be the most resistant mutation.

In any case, it would really suck if there was a domestic travel restriction. I have a trip in May and not sure my mental health can handle another delay.

6 Likes

You are right. The comments were overwhelmingly all saying the same thing.

I actually created a spreadsheet for my June trip. Now, I am thinking about moving those points into RCI.

1 Like

Duh

2 Likes

I hearted this because I care about your trip and that would also make me super sad for you- since we’re talking about clarifying “hearts.” This is a fine example of the ambiguity of “hearting” @ryan1

2 Likes

Facebook tends to lean one way politically, plus it’s a move that negatively impacts Disney fans, posted on a Disney page, so I’m not surprised which way the comments went.

I have a hunch about how this will go …

The Biden team probably let this “trial balloon” slip to the media to see the reactions. There will be a storm of negative reactions. Tomorrow someone will ask Psaki if the rumor is true, and she will say “it is not something we have made a determination on but all options are on the table as we fight the virus.”

Then we’ll just have to wait and see if things get bad enough that they actually feel the need to implement the restriction. I’m still hoping for not.

7 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I’m not really sure how this would work. I’m sure there are people that travel in and out of Florida for work. Same thing happens with PA. I see license plates from our surrounding states all the time (I even see license plates from Texas, Nevada and other states as well, but that is a different situation). I know there are plenty of back roads in and out of our state and there is no way to monitor that kind of activity. I’m sure other states have the same problem. How would this even be enforced? People aren’t following travel restrictions as it is.

I agree with another poster that this might be a way for the president’s administration to feel out the public reaction.

2 Likes

Understatement of the year.

10 Likes

Probably right, but with mass spread of the new variants, the chance for more mutations increase and those could increase vaccine resistance. Really need to get this under control now as the vaccine distribution ramps up.

4 Likes

My guess … negative Covid test needed to fly out of Florida and possibly California. It wouldn’t stop people driving in and out, but there would be some reduction in additional seeding of other states that should slow the new variant spread down.

1 Like

There was a thread last night on chat that potentially could have gone off the rails (maybe it will today) but there was a statement that “interstate travel is guaranteed by the constitution”. I found that interesting, so I found this blog post.

3 Likes

Well considering I have recently seen Florida license plates in my area, I think the seeding may have already started.