Best WDW Resorts

I agree completely. As the opposite type of personality, I’m only in the resorts when I’m in transit to or from the parks. Usually to grab sustenance.

Not much of a pool person while I’m in the bubble either, but I love them not in the bubble.

I’m in 3 states when in Orlando.

1. In the park
  2. In transit to or from a park
  3. Asleep

I choose my resorts based on proximity to parks and or non bus transportation options.

I completely get wanting the wow factor or needing a break from the stimulation of rides and crowds too, but the only person who needs a break in our family just leaves and does it, which goes back to proximity. I like he can Monorail back to the hotel and sneak up for a nap or work, then walk back and join us without the hassle of waiting for a bus.

1 Like

AKL vs. AKL final. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Anyone else getting this?

1 Like

Can I vote for the Poly?

I think they just forgot to renumber them. I was able to vote for the Poly. Which felt like cheating on AKL, but kidani just doesn’t do it for me the way the lodge does.

1 Like

Animals are nice to have out back, but having MK out back is nicer. Also Poly was my first resort I stayed in when I was a kid. It will always be near and dear to me even if I haven’t been able to stay at it since the early 80s.

I have not visited the AK resorts so it was hard for me to vote for them. I voted based on the feeling I got when I entered Poly the first time to eat at O’hana. I am looking forward to our stay there!

But those are not the top two resorts? It should be Jambo and YC?

1 Like

I agree. And I prefer the GF to Poly personally. But I know a lot of people find it stuffy. But if it was gonna be a MK resort it’d be GF at the top of my to do list. I eat there but I’ve never seen the rooms beyond pictures though. But the poly like the Contemporary just has a 70s vibe to me that I don’t dig.

Edit: I do like the new room edits though but I’d rather stay in the villas with that giant shower and if we’re talking villas GFV at they very top of my try list…they look amazing in pics and also have that separate shower area.

Theme-wise Boardwalk for me over Yacht Club but I get the pool at Yacht is better.

1 Like

Those are the correct top two. YC and Jambo lost in the previous round.

1 Like

No if you look at the numbers, kidani beat YC by 2 votes and the Poly crushed Jambo.

That’s what I appreciate about the Contemporary, though I’ve never stayed there. They stayed true to the mid-century modern style even when it wasn’t cool. And now it’s very cool. Or should I say hot? My stylish DD26 loves that era. Me, I actually lived through the orange shag-carpet phase, I can take it or leave it. But I admire what Disney accomplished there.

1 Like

It just feels outdated to me. And when I’m in there it’s dark and dank feelings. I’ve honeymooned in French Polynesia and visited Hawaii. Poly doesn’t cut it for me. Loews did a better job at Universal imho. But I suppose when Disney built the Poly the Polynesia of the 70s looked different than the Polynesia of today?

1 Like

Hmm. I never thought to compare those two, but see what you’re saying, as Poly feels a little dark to me too, and I loved RP at UOR.

2 Likes

Well, the Contemporary is not done in a current style, but it is a recognized design style, I guess sort of like Victorian or Craftsman. So in that way, it is timeless. And it seems to me it’s been more popular since the TV show Mad Men. I have a genuine 60’s Drexel dining room set I picked up at a garage sale in the 80’s for $250 and it’s going for like 12k online. Seriously. My DD26 has her eye on it, but I’m using the chairs, she’ll have to wait!

I don’t know much about the Poly, we never stay there, for exactly the same reasons as yours. But I think it’s supposed to represent classic hotels, like WL is to the Old Faithful Inn (there’s a name for that style, too- it’s called “Parkitecture” :grinning: ) and the GF is to The Hotel Del and The Breakers. But we never stay at those WDW hotels either, because we’ve been to their real-life counterparts several times.

2 Likes

Yeah but I want to vote for YC v Jambo :wink:

6 Likes

@Jeff_AZ, I know I already asked for resort polls but can I ask another request: can the combined resorts (cash and dvc) be listed as one resort? For example, WL, BC, and BW listed once and SSR and OKW listed? I don’t know if others feel differently but I don’t know how I separate out the amenities of a resort (for example all the dining at CR and the monorail are positives for BLT even when BLT only has Top of the World?).

Honestly, I don’t want us to land in the same place where Jambo (with a full store, QS, and two restaurants) is eliminated and Kidani remains (sorry all of you passionate Kidani fans)…

Now, I will let it go (or at least say that I am).

5 Likes

I completely agree!!

3 Likes

This is a great idea! I totally get what you’re saying - having to separate the resorts completely messed up my voting.

1 Like