Best time to get a flight

I think @onceabird is saying that because JetBlue is low fare anyway, that it doesn’t hurt to book on release day, SOMETIMES prices go down later, but in my experience the fares for them have not gone down after release date. But also when you go to book with them, it’s often cheaper to book 2 one way flights instead of round trip. Saved me almost 400 bucks for October trip

2 Likes

Yes @qwerty6 , this. Thanks @bethro23

2 Likes

Oh geez, this is why I should probably stick to my lurker impulses and not make jokes on forums! I really didn’t mean to try to force you to answer a question about something so personal. My apologies.

I’ll try to make up for it by talking about my own personal fears. I’m always convinced that anytime anyone in my family has to drive more than about an hour that they are going to have a car accident and die. For some reason I don’t feel that way when they fly, but my mind is never at ease when my husband is driving a long distance, or when we’re on a road trip.

Jet Blue is seemingly not “low cost” for my dates; the legacies are lower… boo.

Oh, don’t worry. Truth is, I only didn’t give the longer answer the first time around because I didn’t have time to give the longer answer in the moment. My pithy response was only that. It doesn’t bug me one iota to share all that, nor that you asked/joked.

(To be fair, my opening line to my response about being flippant, etc, was also meant in jest, but I could see how perhaps it didn’t come across that way!)

2 Likes

Will Hopper include Southwest and Frontier once they are released?

Not Southwest at the moment:
https://support.hopper.com/hc/en-us/articles/216198447-Airlines-on-Hopper

1 Like

Thank you! I haven’t looked around the app much.

Hopper app is good. there are a few other price trackers too.
A lot of my trips end up starting on Tuesdays because airfare is cheaper (for me) on Tues.

1 Like

Airfare watchdog sends me weird emails. All. Day. Long.

1 Like

Yes, yes. Having that Hawaii cruise booked for 2021 has me all discombobulated!

1 Like

Even though I have no trouble flying, and I, too, understand the tiny odds of a crash, that doesn’t always feel very reassuring. Just wait until your kids start flying without you.

I’ve learned not to put my kids together on the same flight without me. Last year two of them connected through Denver over Christmas, and I put them next to each other on the connecting flight. So the day of there was a major storm (of course). That’s when I realized how dumb that was. The third was coming in through MSP.

Now, I could look at it this way- by putting them on two different flights I would have doubled the risk that something bad would happen. There are all kinds of ways to look at it. But that’s something I’ll never do again. You have to do what feels right to you, because you’re living with whatever happens.

I have friends who won’t fly on the same plane with their spouse w/o the kids, or if they do they won’t fly on a regional-sized jet (which have worse statistics). But now that my kids are mostly grown, they need us less- I just figure they’ll be very sad but very rich. :laughing:

See. I always felt better with all of us on the plane. If it goes down, we all perish together.

2 Likes

last time I flew was to Disney and it was with DH and college age sons. Flight was late and a major storm was coming, and they had to deice the plane while we were on it. youngest son was freaking out and said “let’s just drive” That was not an option. Flight was fine and he still flies, but I will admit I was a little unnerved by that de-icing

2 Likes

I was flying this past January and the pilot said “We get to leave early- it’s too cold to have to de-ice.” And I was thinking, “Hmmm- sure you don’t want to splash a little on there for luck?” :laughing:

Problem is, they all either live or go to school so far away that driving is impractical. They all come home at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and sometimes the summer, and often we visit them- this time, we’re all converging at DD24’s school for graduation and then driving down to WDW.

Flying is just part of life when you live out in the boonies. I call it the scenery tax. :smile: I’ve already flown twice this year and I have three more trips to go, at least. Just to visit people, weddings, graduations, funerals, etc. And they always involve a connection, so that’s 20 flights alone this year. It’s an average year.

I do hope DS27 doesn’t worry about it when we leave after going to WDW- the other four of us are flying back to MT on the same flights & he’s going back to Amarillo by himself. But they’ve all flown dozens and dozens of times, so hopefully it won’t even come to mind.

1 Like

We are flying for the first time as a family (6 of us) in a couple weeks. DH and I have flown plenty but kids have not. We always drive everywhere but back in February Frontier announced their kids fly free sale. We booked a quick 4 night trip to WDW over Mother’s Day and it came to $750 including bags for all 6 of us. I checked a couple of weeks ago and same flight was down to $630 for all 6. I was a bit bummed but oh well.

I know many like Southwest because of their credit policy if the price goes down, but that is only useful if you plan to fly again in the near future I think.

:rofl:

1 Like

I like their luggage policy. I like to pack lots of stuff.