Beating the summer heat

Ok, so now that it looks like our trip next week is still on (at least for the moment), what tips to people have for beating the high heat/humidity during summer months? I’ve been exactly one time in the summer, and that was 18 years ago. Any product recommendations (fans, etc.)? We’ll be following our usual routine of rope drop to midday, break for lunch/pool/hotel, and then dinner/evenings back at the parks, so I think that’s pretty conducive to summer months, but would also appreciate any other tips from all you summer veterans / locals.

4 Likes

I have to carry a fan with me. I need the air flow to feel even a modicum of comfort. The one that Dreamer suggested was great, but is a little heavy. I wore it around my neck to keep my hands free for my other essential item, an umbrella. I know they are polarizing on here, but being able to create that barrier between me and the sun’s rays is key. It’s your own personal cloud cover and when it and the fan are angled just right you create a wind tunnel around your head. I’ll try and find links to both of the ones I used in May.

The umbrella has a black lining and that really helped with absorbing the sun and keeping me cool underneath.

5 Likes

Keep the sun off as much as possible (hat, umbrella.) Drink, drink, drink, particularly something iced and with electrolytes. Small accordion fan is enough for cooling.

5 Likes

Funny, I just shared some blogs a couple weeks ago

4 Likes

I second the recommendations for a fan and umbrella for outdoor lines. My DDs would also suggest a misting device of some sort. Also make sure you have some means of carrying COLD water/beverages with you whether that’s a cooler bag, Yeti bottle etc.

1 Like

I use cooling towels / wraps / hoods… You wet them slightly and wring them out. They stay cool and damp - without being “wet”. My wife gave me the one I use. She works at a steel plant and this is what the guys out in the shop wear - especially in the summer

This is not the same model / type, but give you the idea…

3 Likes

One thing that hasn’t been suggested yet is that afternoon resort pool break. Although, Disney keeps their pools a little warm, for my taste, but a swim really helps lower the body temp and keeps you cool for a bit after.

3 Likes

This worked well for me last year:

• Midday break. Either resort, restaurant, store or even just resting in a shady place.
  • Cooling towel. Frogg togg is the best of the ones I tried, but it’s inconvenient to carry. Any cooling towel is better than nothing
  • Portable misting fan. That little water spray is key. Otherwise it just blows warm air, and it’s not as effective.

Does anyone know if metal water bottles are an issue for security?

They might set off their screening alarms if in a backpack. Security will instruct you to hold umbrellas out in front and away from your body as you walk through the screening device. You could do that w/ a metal bottle too.

Mine didn’t, but my umbrella did every time.

I had a towel, neck fan, etc… but the umbrella helped me the most. Good luck, take those midday breaks!

1 Like

In October and January I pulled my phone, battery charger and sunglasses case (the metal hinge tripped it) to walk through security.

Next month I will add the umbrella and see if my Hydroflask trips it or not!

No issues we always bring ours. I like that they keep the water colder than anything else we’ve tried.

3 Likes

We took them through in 2019 without an issue. We held them though- not in backpack.

Honestly the only thing we do apart from an afternoon break is keeping hydrated. You are in and out of a/c all the time.

3 Likes

When we were there in August 2020, there was record-setting heat. Most days the RealFeel was in the 100s, and one day it was 113. Actual temps were upper 90s, and one day 103.

Try to avoid being outside as much as possible. Unfortunately, when were there, social distancing was placing a majority of the lines out in the sun. Hopefully that isn’t the case now. But any ride/attraction that is outside or has an outside queue I suggest doing early in the morning before the heat of the day.

I wore a tank top most days (although everyone else wore T-shirts), and we had both cooling fans (that hung around the neck) and a cooling towel. They definitely helped while using them. We also kept a couple water bottles with us…these rubber ones that rolled up and could fit in a pocket when not in use.

It was interesting because I felt the longer we were there, the more accustomed we got to the heat.

3 Likes

This is so huge. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve started in on a headache only to realize it’s because I hadn’t had enough to drink. If DS doesn’t make any bathroom stops, I know he’s not drinking enough water (he’s worse than I am at this).

Other than that, we also use the cooling misting fan (I like the O2 COOL Mini misting fan because they don’t take up a lot of space and it includes water in the tiny size) and the cooling towels (we like the Mission ones).

2 Likes

We’re July trip veterans because we have school age kids and my SIL is a teacher. It may not give you immediate relief, but drinking water is most important tip. In temps over 9OF, you should be drinking a quart an hour, which is the equivalent of a typical 32 oz Nalgene bottle. This basically means constant drinks from a water bottle, which sounds annoying but if you form the habit, it becomes natural. I’m the guy in my group that pushes this. Yes, more bathroom breaks and refilling, but long term you will have more energy, less headaches, and avoid heat exhaustion or worse. I’ll never forget the mom I saw outside Fairfax Fare in HS. She was red as a lobster and looked like she was in trouble. She sat and pounded cup after cup of water as her family watched. I could tell she was done for the day. Could have been something else, but I thought for certain she had heat exhaustion.

2 Likes

(Welcome to the forums, @craven_family_2010.)

This does bring up a good point. When you are drinking a LOT of water, and sweating a lot, you also need to be concerned about electrolytes. So, it would be advised to supplement water with sources of electrolytes as well!

4 Likes