AWFUL "Disney Magical Express" Experience. Anyone else?

My Mom, 5yr old daughter and I planned a last minute quick trip to WDW a few weekends ago (July 24-27) we would only have 2 park days (again quick trip) so I wanted to maximize the “Disney” experience. My daughter LOVED the Magical Express last time so we planned for it again. We arrived on a late flight around 11:30 which I’m sure had a lot to do with it but after waiting around 30 minutes for the bus, we were told there were shuttles on the way. Ok, no biggie. Problem was, I honestly thought we wouldn’t survive the drive. Magical Express had obviously subbed out the late night rides to random taxi companies and not only did our driver sling our luggage around like potatoes, he didnt speak a work other than ask where we were going. At one point I took a screenshot of him going 73 in a 45 mph and then 52 in a 25 mph into a yield/sharp curve. My husband was watching via Life360 and was shocked. We are going back (husband and I) in September and again hope to use the REAL Magical Express but after this last experience I’m terrified! Anyone else had this experience lately?

1 Like

No such issues on our July trip, but it was mid morning and was an actual Magical Express bus.

You will always be at the mercy of your driver if you end up in a taxi. But actual DME drivers and buses are good. I recommend arriving during normal business hours to avoid the issue if you can.

2 Likes

Does this happen during normal (read: non-pandemic) late night hours, too?

I believe I’ve read of people getting put on taxis even in regular times. I have a vague memory of someone who was put on one even during normal business hours because one of the buses broke down.

Edit: I just did a search and I’m not sure how often the taxi situation happens, but it seems it would be more likely when there aren’t any other guests needing a ride, such as overnight. Maybe others will have more insight.

2 Likes

We tend to fly in late night before first park day and so far have had great luck. This time they had four taxi shuttles that they called in. There was a group of 6 and two other groups of 2 or 3 and us. I guess we were too spread out among the resorts to justify actual DME but it was certainly a rough way to start the trip lol

2 Likes

Do they inform you in advance that this might happen? I’d rather just set up my own transportation or call Uber, which would be more convenient if nothing else.

Flight schedules are really disrupted right now. What used to be only one connection for us is two. Late night arrivals might become quite a bit more common for those of us flying from the west.

1 Like

Hmmm … we’re arriving at almost midnight on August 12th. I guess we’ll see how it goes! I was wondering if they would have a big bus for just us! Of course, there may be others on our flight that are going to WDW. But like @Tori_W10 says, we could all be at different resorts.

2 Likes

I like to stay at BWI, which is one of the smaller ones, I think. :neutral_face:

But how exciting for you. No matter how you get there, I bet you have a great time!

This sounds like when I went to Italy, but there were no seat belts and the driver waved at all her friends as they passed by, while simultaneously honking at unfortunate pedestrians.

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted to stay at AKL in a savanna view room - and that’s where we’re going! I’m super excited. I better see a giraffe! My girls were teasing me because before Yellowstone, I kept saying - I better see a bear! :laughing:

2 Likes

YES! At one point he got on the phone and had a conversation for about half the ride. I was like WHAAAA is happening here?!

2 Likes

Well, did you?!! I used to pay my kids 5 bucks if they spotted a bear before me, but none of them ever collected. It did keep them looking out the window instead of at their video/phone/whatever.

He’s just multi-talented. :rofl:

1 Like

Yes! We saw a black bear on our drive out to the Lamar Valley (before we got that far). He was off in the distance but then ambled right up to the road. Was digging for something, looked up to see about six cars stopped and watching him, turned around and ambled way. I was in Heaven! :heart_eyes:

1 Like