Attractions you loved as a kid, but now don't understand why

I have great memories of these 2 attractions from my childhood, but now I don’t understand what I loved about them.

Tiki Room (went from must-do to must-skip)
Country Bear Jamboree (hard to believe there were long lines for this in the 80s)

Anyone else have childhood memories of WDW attractions that are far different from how you feel about the same attractions now?

CBJ definitely! First time we took our kids I remember thinking “what the (heck)?! I liked this.” I was a child of the 70s so that explains a lot.

I’ll still go to Tiki Room as a rest. DM84 loved TR when we went in my childhood so it’s good memories.

I never went as a kid. Well I was 17. But my tastes are very much the same now, except that last trip I quite enjoyed IASW, which has never happened before :joy:

1 Like

I’m really interested to see what others say. I went to MK as a 3 year old and all I remember is IASW and meeting Cinderella and Mary Poppins. I still love IASW and did it twice this trip. And I loved M&G too.

Swiss Family Treehouse and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

1 Like

There is a bed waiting for you at the home. Please don’t make a scene when the nice young men in their clean white coats come to take you away.

2 Likes

I cannot think of any I loved as a kid that I don’t still.

I tolerated Hall of Presidents for the cool dark space for napping, but I refuse to darken the door now - it would give me a nightmare then and for days to come. But I never “loved” it. To quote David Hare from his play The Vertical Hour, “I do have a button marked ‘patriotism’ but I’m choosy about who I allow to press it.” So I was never “OMG the heart and the tears!” about it (Ditto American Adventure). So it doesn’t really count for this one.

I liked Figment as a tween and teen. Now I don’t enjoy it.

Of course, in that case, it is Figment that has changed, not so much you!

Overall, I can’t think of anything that I don’t like now that I did when I was young UNLESS the attraction itself was changed (such as Figment). There are things I like LESS now than I used to…but, again, that’s because of changes that were made to the attraction itself.

1 Like

I know! I think I was just feeling mellow as I was solo and FP hopping around all the rides that DH and DS hate.

1 Like

I did not realize this!

I don’t hate IASW, I just wouldn’t want to wait for it too long. Pft. I don’t want to wait too long for any ride. The one in DLR was a little better IMO; they had Disney characters mixed into the lands.

2 Likes

I re-read the original question. I can’t think of anything that I don’t understand why i liked as a kid, but PP and IaSW don’t quite have the same magic for me now that they had when I was a kid. But i can ride them and see why I liked them.

3 Likes

Tomorrowland Speedway. I have pictures of myself and my siblings on it as kids…and now, I can’t get far enough away from it. DS10 even hates it.

2 Likes

It is fine, I guess. But I hope Disney either does the “Tron-esque” overhaul to it that is rumored, or replaces it entirely. If you look at a map of Magic Kingdom, the footprint of Speedway is huge. They could do a lot with that land.

Of course, it is slightly smaller now, with the Tron coaster construction. Still, I think it still might be the largest plot of land allocated to a single ride at MK other than Jungle Cruise!

3 Likes

I still like it because it’s really challenging to try to navigate the track without hitting the rail. I don’t wait in long lines for it though.

1 Like

Railroad

Sorry, had to do it :smiley:

Small World. When I went as a kid, absolute FAVORITE ride. I made my family ride it no less than 4 times (it had a short line constantly, so it was an easy sell).

Went on it for the first time last year annnnnd I never want to ride it again. It’s not that I hate it, it’s just it wasn’t nearly as impressive as I remember as a kid.

I don’t blame you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know, it just occurred to me that theming it after Sugar Rush from Wreck-It Ralph could be interesting.

6 Likes