AoA stay: DTS vs rental car

I just got my brand new, hot-off-the-press 2024 Unofficial Guide (1st time in my life I buy 3 different iterations of the same book LOL) and I was reading the part about rental cars. It never occurred to me to rent a car, but now, with the magical express gone and with 2 strollers in tow, I am wondering…

According to the Guide, pretty much everything is faster with your own car, except maybe MK that is unclear to me. Even the Skyliner seems less efficient than a car.

We are going to go to MK, DHS and AK twice + once to Epcot.

If money is not considered, is a rental car a good idea (time-saving-wise because obviously it’s a lot less hassle vs the strollers) ?

I read that you can park for free at your hotel and at parks, but MK parking seems like a huge waste of time. Could I park at, for example, the Grand Flo and walk to MK ?

Really interested in your various opinions and experiences. :slight_smile:

Take the sky liner. And yes you don’t want to drive to MK. I love not having to drive. Will you have a double stroller or 2 singles? I didn’t find a double on the buses that bad. What are you going to do about car seats? It’s not recommended to rent through the car rental company because they just throw them around and no clue if on an accident. Rental cars aren’t cheap either. Do you really want the added expense?

2 Likes

Good points, thank you. It will be 2 single strollers. The car seats I can bring on the plane for free. I will do the math to see the difference between 2 private airport transfers and the rental car. I don’t really want the additional expense but I am hemorrhaging so much money already, I’m kinda numb to it now LOL. The family suite at AoA + crazy overpriced spring break plane tickets are so insane that the rental car would probably make little difference… :crazy_face:

And no you can’t park at the monorail resorts without an ADR. They’re very strict. Also, consider that buses drop you off at the gate where as you could be parked very far away - do you want that with a stroller?

3 Likes

Yes, that is probably the 2 most important points. If we can’t park anywhere but at the official MK parking, it’s not interesting. Only the AK days would really benefit from the car. I think you got me convinced, that was fast !!! :smiley:

1 Like

Love AoA. We’ve always driven, and we’ve had good experiences with the car. AK, Epcot, and HS are all good to drive to. I would just take the bus on the MK day–they are fairly frequent. Soooo much better than driving to TTC, which we did last time.

Which suite did you choose? We were in Cars.

1 Like

When is your trip? The skyliner can be a challenge during stormy times of the year.

2 Likes

Thanks ! :slight_smile:
We just booked a family suite and the actually choice will be done by Disney at check-in so my guess is it won’t be Nemo LOL. Was significantly cheaper that way.

2 Likes

March 1-9 so I think not stormy (right ?)

That’s cool–a surprise! We really loved the suite last time–plenty of room for all 5 of us and two bathrooms with 4 females was niiiccceee…

1 Like

Exactly, I thought the 2nd bathroom was going to be necessary even though the price is enough to cause PTSD… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I would not worry about daily storms at that time!

2 Likes

I really liked having a car for the car seats and strollers at that age! I don’t mind driving and we actually even drive to MK. I like a guaranteed seat and personal level of AC that a car provides. Our kids also often fell asleep in the car seats on the way back to the hotel and were always easy transfers so it was a perfect way to guarantee a nap. Also you can leave the strollers in the car which is super helpful.

3 Likes

Great points, thank you, I am back to wanting a rental car now LOL

I am very easily influenced… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

How does it work exactly to drive to MK ? You get in the parking lot after the toll plaza and then walk to the monorail ? My kids are very slow in the AM and we won’t be able to RD, not even close. Is the parking lot a nightmare for late arrivals or is it OK ?

Coloring my hate of parking at MK–my kids were dragging that day, so we didn’t arrive until 11. It was hot, and we had to park in a far away lot. Clamber onto the tram, and then onto the ferry. It was hot on the ferry that day (late May).

It really could have gone differently, so don’t let my negativity color it for you. I think it could be enjoyable arriving from the TTC in the right circumstances.

1 Like

Yes, that is pretty much it. There are parking trams if you are farther back in the parking lot but if you have two strollers I wouldn’t consider it a bad walk. You will do security at the TTC and then choose the monorail or ferry. I like the ferry but usually my kids would rather the monorail. I would do whichever looks like it’s going to leave first.

What time are you thinking in terms of “not even close”? Like 10am?

1 Like

yeah unfortunately 10 am sounds realistic. I am hoping for better than that, but I don’t want to start pissing them off before the day is even actually started !!! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Haha yes I can imagine the heat is always a crucial factor! My kids just do better with walking over waiting at a bus stop!

2 Likes

I think you will be fine. The parking is very efficient and you could definitely take the bus to MK and drive every where else.

One thing to think about is where you want to start/end at Epcot. If you want to use International Gateway, take the Skyliner instead. The parking lot is nice and close but it’s at the front entrance so if you want to rope drop Remy, I would take the Skylintr. Although rope drop doesn’t sound like it is in your cards!

2 Likes