Anyone reduced a hotel stay by a day after making a reservation?

I have a weird situation where I want to book a POP room Sept 29-Oct 2. The WDW website says no availability, but if I request Sept 29-Oct 3, rooms are available! Has anyone booked a longer stay and been able to reduce the stay by a day or two without penalties?

Thanks in advance.

will

I will be staying in Pop this May and was initially unsure when exactly I could go, but I had a rough idea and booked my room for 14 days (May1 -14) and then altered my trip to 6 days, once I knew when I could go. No penalties. I did try to shift the dates by two days outside my reservation (April 29-May3), but there was no availability, so I stuck with dates within my original reservation (May 7-12).

1 Like

Carthy15: Thanks for the note. That is encouraging. I can see them having issues with adding new days, this would just be omitting the last day. Still seems weird I can’t book a subset of what they say is available. Hopefully will be booked tomorrow.

will

1 Like

There is a potential issue with your FastPass reservations … How many days are your tickets good for?

What I have gleaned from reading many threads on this topic is that reservations are actually canceled and rebooked when we chamge them. It seems to us guests that we’re just adding or subtracting days to a reservation, but that may not be how how their system actually works.

I have a similar situation to yours at the BWI, but I wanted the longer stay, just wasn’t sure I could keep it. In the end, I didn’t book the entire 10 days, only the week I knew I could be there, and the three iffy days at the Hilton, where I’d be able to adjust it as needed. I just wasn’t sure I’d be able to rebook if the vacation changed fro 10 days to 7, and didn’t want to risk that week at the BWI. But there are only 10 of my room type- if there are more of your room type that might factor into your decision. You can check the TP room finder to figure that out.

If the reservation system is already telling you that a shorter stay is not available, I wouldn’t count on it being there later. That seems counterintuitive to me. Things generally don’t get easier to book as time goes by, they get more difficult. Maybe if you called and asked, you might find out a little more info that might help you decide.

Thanks Pod. It does seem weird I can only book a longer stay. I’ll be booking through my favorite MVT agent, but been playing with the website bookings to see what is available and saw this strangeness. Alas no MVT rooms are available for my specific (un-alterable) dates, so they’ll be booking a regular room for me, so think they’ll see the same thing I do. I’ll reply back once I get clearer answers to close out the thread.

2 Likes

Just to let you know, the above situation that I described took place through MVT. I was up front with what I was doing and my agent told it was no problem and gave me the dates I would need to cancel by, which I once I had my flight confirmed.

All:

I had a good email exchange with my MVT agent. Her best guess is that Disney is enforcing minimum stays at some hotels and for PoP it is four nights, hence showing no availability for a 3-night stay. Weird. On reducing the stay later, she says no promises, but likely will not be an issue later. If I do reduce it, I’ll be sure to do it before the T-60 day FPP deadline just in case.

Planning took a bit of a turn today though. I was planning a two day trip (two full days, so three nights) as that is what I was able to negotiate with my DW (I’m the WDW-holic, not her). She hinted she might be negotiable to extending the trip to three days. Now that would be a much nicer solution to the problem!

will

2 Likes