Anyone ever have to fly no ID?

Yep, NEXUS is a better deal than Global Entry bc it’s cheaper($50 vs $100) and includes both Canadian and US expedited security benefits including TSA Pre. US credit card companies have finally started reimbursing for NEXUS like some do for Global Entry. Only catch is the interview locations are near the border or in Canadian airports as you have to be cleared by both the US and Canada.

1 Like

Yeah but Nexus doesn’t work if you want to travel outside the US/Canada.
So, for me it’s not a deal.

Not sure if you’re aware, but NEXUS includes Global Entry benefits. When returning to the US from Europe you can use the Global Entry kiosks.

1 Like

Final update:
Kiddo was granted Precheck off of mine, got through TSA with no issues at all. They passed through as a minor with just a school ID.
So, if you ever end up in this situation, now you know what to do, LMAO.

12 Likes

Good to know! I was under the impression that any child 12 and over needed thier own pre check and couldnt use a parents pre check status. Was going to try and get my daughter pre check. She turns 12 a month before we leave…but now thinking I just change her birthdate :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

It’s automatic for 12 and under. It can and does happen for companions over 12, but it’s not guaranteed.

3 Likes

Gotcha…its a weird age to ask for pre check…you need gov issued ID to get pre check and you can not get an ID in NJ until 14. So I would have to get her a passport instead. Its not too expensive but a pain and would rather not have to go that route.

1 Like

I called and spoke with TSA Cares a couple of weeks ago about Precheck and how it works with children as well as TSA Cares.

He said that the rules recently changed.

All kids under 12yo still don’t need their own Precheck when traveling with those that have it.

The change was for over 12yos … apparently they can now be granted Precheck status on their boarding pass if traveling together with someone who has it. The person I spoke with said the tickets need to be grouped/linked together and the non-Precheck traveler can still be randomly chosen for extra screening. I may have misinterpreted, but the way the person shared the info, it sounded to me that under 12yo wouldn’t be chosen for screening but over 12yo could be?

I have been looking to get Precheck for my 16yo ds as a extra option in addition to TSA Cares, but realized I need to gather a bunch of documents before we can do so. In order to apply for Precheck, ds needs to get a state ID, and in order to get the state ID I need to get some copies of additional documents.

Since we are traveling this week, I was grateful to hear ds could use Precheck with me. I will still set up TSA Cares, but may not need to use it.

4 Likes

I have always been given precheck for kids traveling with me - my son, niece (13) and nephew (16). But since DS is now 13 and I need to update his passport for an upcoming cruise next year anyways, to make sure it’s never an issue, we got him his own TSA Precheck a few months ago. But so far we’ve had good luck with it just appearing when they are linked on my reservation.

Oh, and I get chosen for extra screening regularly! DS always asks ‘why are you always picked for this?’ And I have no idea.

1 Like

The rules on the website seem unclear to me so it it reassuring that others have gone through it. My 11 yo turns 12, 2 months before we leave and that is not until Oct so we have some time. Let me know how you make out.

1 Like

This makes me happy…is there a way to see if it shows up on thoer boarding pass or do you not see it untol you get to the airport?

I shared with the TSA Cares person how difficult it was to figure out the rules from the website. He agreed, and then shared that they had recently changed (for the over 12). I don’t know how recent the change was.

We check in late Tuesday and fly on Wednesday. I will update as I know more.

1 Like

It’s on the boarding pass. I know as soon as I can check in for the flight.

3 Likes

This is how it looks on the boarding pass.
(And hooray for status upgrades!)

4 Likes

Thanks!

I wouldnt mind an upgrade like that either!

Fly without ID??

Oy. Here I am in Canada. I’m sweating DD28 waiting for her passport to come through

Meanwhile…

TSA: ID please
American: I’m Dave
TSA: do you have any proof of that Dave?
Points to wife
Wife: yup, he’s Dave
TSA: enjoy your flight Dave

7 Likes

That’s because we know how you Canadians are

4 Likes

Is it the hockey stick?
I could probably leave it at home if it helps eh

2 Likes