Anyone ever do a Deed Change?

My children are 21 and I am considering adding their names to the deed so that they will be able to enjoy full membership benefits(currently we have that it is deeded to them, but this would go into effect in a few months).
We own at BWV and SSR so there is still 20+ years to go. I realize that adding them to the deed will give them equal access (right to sell) and equal responsibility(annual dues), but if we were to become unable to do so- that might be a good thing-right?
They have not traveled without us but in the next few years I can see that happening. (They are both going on to grad school)
Anyone been thru this and have any thoughts?
Thanks

1 Like

I have not changed my deed but my son (only child) is on the deed. This has allowed him to have his own blue card. I know some people have suggested that putting your DVC into a trust might be a better option for some families but I believe that would delay their “ownership” benefits?

1 Like

You can add your children as associates to your DVC deed for no charge. This gives them full access to the points including the ability to book and modify reservations. However, they will not receive a membership card or any of the incidental benefits.

1 Like

To add/change deed to add an owner — which I intend to do for each of my 3 kids for each of my 3 contracts — it costs $500 per.

1 Like

My mother just added me and my sisters to her DVC deed. The process wasn’t too bad. I’m pretty sure she contacted DVC member services and they walked her through how to do things. There was a lawyer and definitely charges involved.

1 Like

I’m just going to add a note of caution, as I’ve seen discussion about this elsewhere.

Firstly, if you add a child, or anyone else, to a deed of one contract but not another, you then end up with two different membership numbers. Many people have more than one and manage them without problems, others find it fiddly.

Also by adding your son to the deed, it becomes an asset of his. That could affect his ability to qualify for things like scholarships. Also of course if he were to (marry and) divorce, it would be included in the matrimonial assets.

Naturally he could also book vacations and use up all the points, bank or borrow them (which are final transactions). DVC will send information to him; sometimes people say “that’s OK, I”ll just not tell him/her, but he will find out and be able to create an account.

So make sure you are aware of all the implications first. And then I believe DVC can talk you through the process. I’m sure I’ve seen a step by step guide somewhere, maybe on Mouseowners.

1 Like

Thanks all, I had not considered that it might impact grad school, so I will wait till after they buy their first homes just in case.

2 Likes

Because I always have to be plotting something Disney…

My husband and I have 200 points at AKL. We currently have 3 kids with another on the way. My mom always travels with us. My youngest (aside from baby in utero) turns 3 in just over a month. So for the next 3 years the smallest our travelling party will be is 6. For member exclusive events (like Moonlight Magic) we can only get tickets for a total of 4 people. There is the caveat that you can get tickets for everyone on the whole reservation, but there will be times when we are split into 2 or more rooms.

One solution is to buy another contract, which we are considering in a couple of years, but at resale. I’m really not looking to buy 100 more points direct when we already have all the benefits of being a direct owner. I’m thinking of transferring the deed for some of the points to my mom. Is it possible to only transfer the deed for a portion of the points? She would then have full membership benefits, right? Then we could get 8 people into special events. And she would qualify for the discounted APs. Is this a reasonable idea? I know it can cost like $500, but that’s immediately made up the first time she buys the discounted AP. And we can just transfer the points back to us each year for booking purposes. Am I missing anything?

Thanks!!

ETA - I’ve done some research and it seems like if you’re selling points you have to sell the whole contract, so I’m assuming the same would be true for deeding/gifting the contract to someone else. I guess maybe I need to get a 25 point add on contract, then transfer that to my mom. Who can’t use an extra 25 points, right?!

You can gift a contract to a direct relative (like your mom), but it has to be the whole contract. She would then be able to use all the points on the contract and receive all the privileges of a direct purchase (if it was the direct purchased contract).

This is what you are looking for: A gratuitous transfer of the ownership interest is gifted; no money or consideration is exchanged. In the transfer of real estate, a deed conveys
ownership from the old owner (the grantor) to the new owner (grantee).
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/media/dvc/languagespecific/eng/faq/LTRTRANS_Revised_11-13-19.pdf

Also, I think you only get 1 transfer per year so you would be limited in moving the points back and forth between contracts.

1 Like

I forgot something. Your mom would need to own an accumulated 75 points direct to receive the direct membership benefits like discounted APs and special membership events.

Those 25 direct points would be good for use at all DVC properties (unlike resale points that are limited to the original properties), but the current minimum number of points for incidental benefits still applies.

2 Likes

That is what I was missing!! Thank you!!

Man I wish I had realized all this before our initial purchase. We would have just done 2 contracts. The limits on things like Moonlight Magic are really not helpful for larger families.

1 Like