Another DLR first-timers thread!

If you’re a small group it’s definitely doable to move through and find the gaps in the crowd. However, for us with a double stroller plus needing a spot where our too old to be held kids also want to see, we aim to set up at least 45 min before. Sometimes even that is too late to be able to weave through crowds on Main St (bug again that’s largely due to having a double stroller). There have been magical times when we’ve meandered up the back of Main St to a very decent view, but @Julianne_fki’s assessment since re-opening & bringing back FWs is correct. People are jazzed to see the FWs so they’re camping out more. And if they’re not, it’s usually a sign that they are going to be cancelled.

This has definitely increased over the years we’ve been going to DL. When DL Forever was first debuted for the 60th, it was cancelled maybe only twice in the ~30-40x different nights we setup to see it (and we saw it almost every single night bc we loved both it & Paint the Night). Now I feel like 1/4 shows gets cancelled for wind. So definitely plan a back-up night (or two) for watching FWs.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all these tips! I think we’ll plan for the early MSEP on our first night, F! on second night, pencil in fireworks for either first or second night, and WOC for sure on third night. So many shows in just two parks!

We are fuel rod people - do they work the same way at DL? Free swaps?

I’m just getting around to researching ride strategies. We’re planning to start at DL on days 1 and 3. If we RD Fantasyland one day, would you RD RSR or WS the other day? Is either worth paying for if it’s not the one we RD? We’ve done Rise a couple of times at DW so we probably won’t do that one. What do you RD at DCA?

Edit - wait. RSR and WS are at DCA. :woman_facepalming: So I guess the question still stands, but also, what should we RD on our second DL day?

Well, I guess I would RD RSR if you really want to ride it together. We often just do SR. You can use SR on WS too. SR is your friend at DLR!

RD at DL that’s not FL … We have gone right to Matterhorn (1st sled of the day!) and then circled into TL for Space (followed by bathroom since it’s right where Space exits), then Buzz and ST. Or you could go to JC and PoC?

2 Likes

I love splitting up my two DL RDs with one in Fantasyland (mixing in any of TL that my boys may ask for- i.e. Space & Star Tours, and none of my kids request it anymore but Nemo subs were a good one to do early if mixing in with some Fantasyland). Then a second RD I love love love starting on the west side because the first hour or so on the west side is bliss and even the 2nd hour can be relaxing. And then once it’s starting to get crowded there are some of the best snacks and relaxing spots and then many midday filler rides that I LOVE to do when lines get long (Canoes, Mark Twain, Tom Sawyer Island, whenever it comes back the Treehouse, Tarzan’s or whatever else it may be themed to when it comes back)

We personally start at Indy or Big Thunder & then hit whichever one we didn’t choose first as our 2nd ride with both still being reasonably low. Then we pick one out of Jungle Cruise or Pirates or Haunted Mansion. If we want to do Splash we try to hit it before it’s 15 min (usually before it starts getting hot) and usually round up our morning with one more out of Jungle Cruise/Pirates/Haunted Mansion or if we did Splash then Winnie the Pooh. And by then we’re ready to stop to snack so it’s usually Beignets & Mint Juleps but also there’s a confectionary treat in Pooh Corner that always has great options for treats. You can also mix in some Star Wars & save either New Orleans Square or Critter Country for the end of the day (both tend to be pretty quiet during F! and then again once the crowds from the show have dispersed).

5 Likes

Thanks, y’all! These are the kinds of detailed planning tips I’m here for. We’ll have G+ so I think with good RDs and LLs, we’ll be all set.

Also - YES to mint juleps and beignets! Is there a frozen mint julep anywhere like at Casey’s?

2 Likes