Another DLR first-timers thread!

We just booked a last-minute (end of July) 3 park day trip to DLR and while I’m a pro at WDW, I’m feeling like a fish out of water trying to plan this trip! I’ll research how to prioritize specific rides and I’m very comfortable with G+, so I just have a few other logistical questions.

We’re flying into John Wayne and plan to Uber to the hotel - is that our best bet?

We’re staying at Disneyland Hotel. Can we easily walk to the parks (I assume yes) and is rope dropping a thing at DLR? How early should we plan for? We’ll have 3 park days with park hoppers so I think that should be plenty of time to see everything we want to see without rushing, right? So far the only APR I’ve made is for DLP on our first day. Where should we start each day, or does it matter with hoppers?

Any good table service recs for our arrival night? We won’t have a car and won’t be going into the parks that night. I was thinking somewhere at Downtown Disney but I don’t know a thing about it! Same question for breakfast recs on our check out day.

What are the must-do snacks and QS meals in the DLR parks? We’ll probably stick to QS (unless there’s a fab TS place we should try?) and the only things I’ve heard of are the monte cristo and literally any churros. :slight_smile: We love mobile ordering whenever we can.

Anything else we should know before we go? Thanks for any advice!!

4 Likes

Following…

I usually Uber or Lyft to DLR from SNA. It’s easy and pretty inexpensive. And usually fast!

RD is a thing although you may not need to RD everyday depending on your priorities. I would try to leave the hotel 45 minutes to an hour before park open. You’ll go through security to enter DD and then make your way through DD to the esplanade. DL will be on your left and DCA to your right.

I would make day 1 and 3 APR’s at DL and day 2 at DCA. Consider rope-dropping rides in FL that are not on Genie+ on one day.

6 Likes

Bengal BBQ is a favorite. I also like the bao at tropical hideaway. Jolly Holiday is good. The Little Red Wagon for corn dogs. Pacific Wharf cafe. Flo’s. Pym’s Test Kitchen. Lots of good food!

6 Likes

It’s hard to get a reservation sometimes, but if you can’t, get on a walk-up list, and you can usually get in faster than they quote to you.

Napa Rose is the best “signature” / fancy restaurant (at GCH). For a more informal dinner, Naples has great artisan pizza, UVA bar was pretty decent if nothing else is available, and Black Tap is my favorite counter service.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s a quick walk and there is also the monorail that goes from just outside the DLH to Tomorrowland. I haven’t used the monorail at rope drop though, so not sure how early you have to be there to be on the first monorail.

4 Likes

Thanks to you both! This is all super helpful. I’m sure I’ll think of more questions as our trip gets closer. One thing I just realized is that our magic bands are useless at DLR. Does everyone use their phones to get into the parks and also to tap into LLs? I’m just envisioning the constant backups when people use phones at WDW…

I have an alert set up for Naples for our arrival night. DD13 is a pizza lover so that sounds like a good option. Is the monte cristo worth making ressies at Blue Bayou?

2 Likes

Bengal BBQ was every bit as good as people in this forum said it was. It’s my new all-time favorite QS from either DLR or WDW.

7 Likes

I would get it at Cafe Orleans and have a nicer entree at Blue Bayou. It’s definitely worth a visit for a unique experience.

5 Likes

Ahh yes, I think I meant to type Cafe Orleans…just made an ADR for dinner. Blue Bayou does look unique!

4 Likes

Should we make World of Color a priority? How difficult is it to join the VQ? No BG1 here I assume. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to wrap my head around logistics for WoC, Fantasmic, MSEP, and Disneyland Forever in our three days. Do we need to experience all of them?

1 Like

You can do MSEP and DL Forever one night, Fantasmic another and WoC on another. It’s possible!

4 Likes

I would go to Blue Bayou for ambiance and nostalgia. I’m in the minority in that I don’t care for the Monte Cristo. It upsets my tummy a bit. But if you don’t have a heart attack when you look at fist, definitely try for BB!

3 Likes

Oh and yes, everyone uses their phone or physical tickets to scan into the parks and LL’s. It can be a hassle but it is what it is.

3 Likes

This makes sense! DH is the one who really wants to try the monte cristo, so I’ll probably just have a bite or two of his. I’d say the menu at Cafe Orleans has a little more that we’d all be interested in, but we really like the idea of eating at BB. There are no ADRs available as of now, so we shall see!

If you enjoy character dining, Goofy’s Kitchen or Storyteller’s Cafe for breakfast. They are both buffets.

3 Likes

Same!

2 Likes

Ok I’m rethinking lots of dining options! It’s just me, DH, and DD13 so character dining isn’t a must, but we aren’t against it, either, if Goofy’s or Storytellers are a great experience. We really enjoyed Topolino’s last month. DD is a big Mary Poppins fan so I need to check the Jolly Holiday menu. It’s hard knowing about all the best snacks/meals at WDW and not wanting to accidentally miss the must-dos at DLR!

I’m also following @FOMOm_VA report for inspiration! Wondering if we should try for a WoC dessert party. We enjoy the garden parties at MK.

3 Likes

Um. Wow, this was a weird auto-correct! I meant to say if you don’t have a heart attack when you look at the price! How price turned into fist is a mystery to me. :joy:

6 Likes

I would do the dessert party and forego the character meal in that case. Or do both if you don’t mind spending the $$. The dessert party gets you a great view of WoC! The desserts are kind of meh, but the view is stellar.

3 Likes