Annual Pass Newbie w/Questions

Hi all. Relatively new here and looking for some info on AP’s.

Right now we have an 8 day MYW w/hopper pass package booked (and paid in fill…YAY) for our upcoming trip this Fall. We (2 adults, 1 child) travel annually in the fall for 7 nights. DH and I have said that we really want to go back (just he and I) around New Year’s and then a shorter family trip next May before our annual trip in Sept/Oct. Upgrading to an AP just makes sense.

Now it is time for my questions:

1. We have already purchased Memory Maker. It is my understanding that the amount will be credited towards the upgrade cost, correct?

2. I’m getting conflicting info on using your AP to book a FD BB offer. I thought you couldn’t do it since essentially you would be using 2 discounts (the free park tickets from the AP and FD from the BB offer). But DH has a friend that insists she does it every year and they credit her back the amount of the park tickets off the package. I don’t want DH to go into this with unrealistic expectations.

3. What is the typical percentage off for special event tickets (MNSSHP and MVMCP)?

Thanks for any assistance!

[quote=“JennShirey, post:1, topic:25150”]
DH has a friend that insists she does it every year and they credit her back the amount of the park tickets off the package[/quote]

I’ve never heard of this. It was my understanding you have to book park tickets to book a free dining package. You may not have to book tickets for every day of your stay, but paying for tickets you don’t need (since you already have an AP) is pretty sure to negate any savings you’d get for the dining offer. Do the math to be sure, but would except “free dining” won’t be the least expensive way to book.

[quote=“JennShirey, post:1, topic:25150”]
What is the typical percentage off for special event tickets (MNSSHP and MVMCP)?[/quote]

Not much. 5-10% at best, but what really stinks is that the discounts aren’t available for a lot of the party dates, mostly as you get closer to the holidays they are celebrating, so check that there is an AP discount for the dates you’ll be in the parks. The discount is also only available for advance purchases (at least a day ahead of time) and apparently (as of last year) cannot be done if you buy tickets from Guest Relations at the park (you have to call or buy online).

Free dining offers always come with a minimum ticket purchase (usually two days). You can save those tickets for your next trio but you will need to upgrade them in person (meaning only two days of FPs before your trip). You can use those tickets and upgrade to another AP if you want.

I would run the numbers for the child ticket. If there is only two trips you could purchase a discounted ticket for the second trip and maybe not pay the extra for all three APs (since you only need one MM).

I saved $5 on my MNSSHP party but two years ago I did not have a discount for my party. I think you need to look at those discounts as pleasant surprises- but I love the 10% off on just about everything I buy in a wdw store!