Anniversary trip - to Disney or not to Disney

I am in the midst of an amazing dilemma I never thought would be possible, and I have no one in the real world who could even begin to advise me, so I am turning to my fellow liners…

It’s our 15th Anniversary in March 2021. We have an amazing opportunity to use DVC points. Our plan was to stay at BWV, do the Art Festival at EPCOT, maybe do a split stay at AKV or BLT…relax, have fun, did I mention we Honeymooned in Orlando - split stay of Disney and Universal. Haven’t been back to Universal, but we’ve taken our kids to WDW several times. Whenever we go, we dream about some time by ourselves at EPCOT, wandering, relaxing, etc, so this feels like a dream come true and I really want to do the Art Festival. However…

Here is the dilemma - my parents just offered us the opportunity to use a time share certificate (needs to be used by March 15) and a companion plane ticket, so for $600 we can fly to Hawaii…could use their timeshare for a week and then maybe a couple nights at Aulani with the DVC points.

This is our only chance in the near future for a longer trip without the kids, so what do we do… I know both trips would be amazing, so we really can’t go wrong, but would love to hear your thoughts… Thanks!

3 Likes

Tough choice, but I would go Hawaii, because that’s too good a deal and opportunity. Will always be easier to get back to WDW another time. Can’t go wrong with WDW though if that’s really what you want.

5 Likes

Hawaii sounds like the more rare opportunity

5 Likes

I agree with everyone, trip to Hawaii sounds like a rare chance.

3 Likes

it’s a win-win in either case, which is great but certainly doesn’t make the choice easier.

hawaii sounds nice considering everything that’s come together to make it an option. have you been there?

3 Likes

I would probably take Hawaii given the facts you laid out, but of course the choice is up to you!

3 Likes

Another vote for Hawaii, especially if you’ve never been there. DH and I got engaged in Hawaii on a super-cheap spring break trip in grad school and have never managed to get back. Take advantage!

3 Likes

I love Disney but baby GO TO HAWAII! Hawaii isnt something on our radar, ok, well in the distance. WDW is so easily obtainable. Epcot is nice and all but until the “walking while eating and drinking” and ALLLL the entertainment is back, its a little underwhelming.

3 Likes

I vote Hawaii! I mean I loooove WDW and a trip there with just DH and I would be fantastic but it’s Hawaii!

2 Likes

Never been there! Huge fan of LOST, and always wanted to see the beautiful place it was filmed! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So true, everyone! I was really struggling with giving up my Disney dream of the Art Festival and BWV with my hubby, but I sat and watched a couple videos about Hawaii, and I think we have to do it! Thanks so much for being my peeps who can understand why WDW ranks right up there with Hawaii! hehe

5 Likes

I know it was a while ago I posted this, but just thought I would let you all know how it turned out… We had an interesting twist. I have not recovered well from my bout with Covid in November. I still have major fatigue and brain fog (crazy stuff like I can’t remember how to use my spreadsheets I have been using for years (ARRGH!!), I lose my words before they come out of my mouth so I can’t even sing along to my favorite songs without messing up the words, and I have absolute inability to multi-task - if I am on a zoom meeting, I cannot both listen and read the slides).

Due to the extreme fatigue, we decided this was not the time to go to Hawaii, since we would really be disappointed not to be able to hike and I may have to rest a lot.

I started typing up a little of what we did, and it turned into a trip report, so I think I will start a new trip report, so I can share some pics too. Thanks everyone for your advice…we are still hoping for a Hawaii trip some day!

Our trip to Orlando was great! We ended up getting annual passes to Universal! Ha! Didn’t’ see that coming! I had some motion-sickness patches and was able to do rides the first 2 days and my energy level was pretty good if we didn’t push too hard. We got the tasting lanyard and ate lots of Mardi Gras food. I think eating so much good food really helped my energy level (verses at home when I don’t feel up to making myself anything healthy to eat). The third day I spent a lot of time sitting on benches sipping coffee, while my DH had to do rides alone. I really didn’t even have energy to walk through stores for very long, but I enjoyed relaxing in the sun and people-watching. :slight_smile: Overall, it was a wonderful 6 nights away with my hubby!

5 Likes