Animal Kingdom or Second day at MK?

I stand corrected… there are 8 rides not 5. (That is way I said “about”) Sometimes I do speak in generalities. :crazy_face:

I excluded SSE because the OP did say a date & WDW has given no “official” date about it’s closure. (Speculation is Jan. 2020 - closing right after the holiday rush). Nor did I include Ratatouille because it’s opening date is only “Summer 2020”

For the record, I’ve been to Epcot many, many times and I love it. I love it WAY more than AK.

However, if I have a 7 & 9 year old and it’s their very first time at WDW I, personally, wouldn’t go to Epcot this time. But this is just my opinion. :smiley:

You can still meet as many Characters on a second MK day & going to AK.

2 Likes

This is the only reason I’m saying to skip it this time. It’s a mess ATM and only going to get worse until 20201 - 2022

2 Likes

We’re going in February. Already booked Akershus breakfast. Definitely doing Epcot despite construction. Think the girls will love FEA and Soarin.

2 Likes

Oooh, this statement makes it tough for me to offer advice. I was going to ask if they were more into princesses or rides at this point? If you think they’ll love Soarin’, then if they’re tall enough for FOP, AK is a must. If you think they’ll love FEA because they like to sing along with the songs…then I’d also say AK (Nemo and FOTLK are great shows). If they just really love princesses…go for a 2nd MK day.

1 Like

Cool… That ends that debate! :smiley:

I’d still do double MK for the Magic for your girls.

AK is the answer. It’s totally not a zoo. I misunderstood before my first visit and nearly skipped too. Now it’s my fave. There are most definitely animals but it’s so much more. There is a lot of cultural stuff too. It’s amaze balls

4 Likes

Have you set up a touring plan yet for your day at MK? It might help to select everything you want to do from the customized plan drop down list and see how feasible it is. If you’ll miss out on things or have a very busy/rushed day, I’d spread it out over two days. I try to plan trips as though I will return the to place in the future because trying to cram too much in makes for a stressful vacation and takes away some of the fun.

I personally would choose MK twice over AK because my kids love more of the rides/characters from movies there, plus I absolutely love the fireworks show and would want to close out the trip with it! That said, AK has a lot of amazing theming and a unique feel, so you will enjoy it, too - it just depends on what you feel you’d be missing out on at MK.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. Thanks! They like princesses but aren’t obsessed. I haven’t tried making a touring plan but I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

Also with AK there is Wilderness Explorers, which makes whole park an exploration game for children. Or, ummm, grown-ups. And then you, I mean your littles :slight_smile: can get a photo with Dug and Russell with your Wilderness Explorer badges!

4 Likes

We just got back from WDW last week, and I would have taken two days at AK over our HS day. Our last trip, 2011, we skipped AK in favor of MK, but my kids were toddlers and we toured with a much more relaxed pace.

From the moment I walked through the gates I was in love. Kids (12, 9, 6, 6, 6) loved it, too. FOP was easily my favorite ride. All the kids loved it, KS, and EE. It was a perfect Disney day.

5 Likes

It really is a tough decision. If park hoppers aren’t an option, I would choose AK. My kids loved it at 9/8. It is so much more than a zoo. Good luck on your decision. Either way you all will have a fantastic time. :smiley:

I suggest looking at you tube videos etc. about AK so that you can get a feel for it. It is definitely not just a zoo. It is something that can’t really be understood unless you see it. I would absolutely go there instead of more time at MK b/c then you will have 3 distinct experiences.

3 Likes

Such mixed responses, I wonder if this made it any easier? :rofl:

I think it depends on how well you can accomodate MK into one day. I would definitely look up the attractions, see what you want to do and then see how that fits into a day. If you have just a couple of things left over from MK day1, maybe split the day between MK and AK and just pick a few favorite things there?

I would even consider making the decision after your first MK day. It might cost you some FP’s since you can’t of course book them fully at both.

1 Like

I guess I agree with @darkmite2 - drop EP in favor of AK and keep two MK days.

1 Like

I could get behind this. I adore Epcot, and when at its full potential, it rivals AK for my favorite park. But at the moment it is turning into a shell of its former self and will be until all the new stuff is done so it is easier to skip RIGHT NOW.

And I 100% echo the fact that AK is NOT a zoo!!

3 Likes

My thoughts… do a touring plan for AK to see if there’s enough that interests you. Then do one for a second day at MK. See which feels more right for your family.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I completely disagree with this. Outside of Safari (which is awesome), I don’t go to AK for the animals… It’s still a theme park first. I am a season ticket holder for the Columbus Zoo, which is one of the best in the country… AK is not redundant to this at all.

2 Likes

Thanks… OP said that Epcot was a “must do” / not gonna skip it - even after hearing about the construction.

Some adults, too.

1 Like

For me, not even a question, two days at MK.