And so it begins again!

New round of questions!

1. Any suggestions on which room should I be requesting? When I stayed in the A-Frame building, it was advised to request an upper floor and odd-number room (so the beds faced the castle). Do I need to request the same combination for Bay Lake Tower’s Studio rooms that have theme park view ? Or do all the beds for that room type face the same way (the floor plans seem to imply that they do) so all I need to do is request an upper floor?

2. As this trip is celebrating my getting my degree, any suggestions on a unique thing I could do?

3. Do you think the Keys to the Kingdom tour is worth a 2nd viewing? My mom is really interested in doing this, and I certainly want her to go through the tour, but I’m wondering if it’s worth it for me to be dropping the cash to see it again, or should I go do something else? I love Disney history and behind the scene stuff, but if it’s just going to be a 100% copy of what I did before, I’m not sure it’s worth the cash.

HECK YEAH!! Scored every adr I was after this morning but the fantasmic one(not available yet?)

My neighbors are probably annoyed that I’m singing zipidy do dah at the top of my lungs this morning, but I don’t care.

7 Likes

Please forgive the complete downer of the following post, but I need some advice and clarity.

As I mentioned in my other thread regarding a walk regime, my mom is slow and has developed (rather suddenly) breathing issues as well as extreme fatigue. Today we learned why: She was just diagnosed with stage 4 lung, bone, and lymph node cancer. Doctor said she has 2-8 months, maybe a year with treatment.

The September trip that I’ve been putting together for the better part of 2 years is now complete jeopardy. At least with having us both go. It’s renting DVC points and everything is bought and paid for. All we have to do is board the plane.

And now I don’t know what to do.

I don’t want to go and take the steps to cancel because I want her to always have something to look forward to in the coming months… but at the same time, I have to be real here. She’ll very likely either be too sick to go, or she’ll be gone. I had thought about getting travel insurance, but I’m not sure I’d qualify. Even then… I feel like I’m almost allowing nature to be a dick if I do this as it will cover my expenses and almost feel like letting the gamble play will work out better.

I am seriously thinking of creating a earlier trip in early may (even though it’ll cost a lot and ADRs will be scarce), but she’ll be in treatment by then. Problem is I’m not even sure if she’ll A)be up for it B)well enough to actually go or C) can even travel during treatment (obviously I’d have to ask on that last one). I could easily be spending a lot of money with the same circumstance as September.

This was supposed to be fun. We were supposed to have a ball planning the ultimate Disney vacation for ourselves. We had only got one session in…
This was supposed to be a wonderful time as we celebrated milestones.
Now it feels like a race, and worse, a losing one.
Ultimately, no matter what, I fear there’ll be a dark cloud over the whole thing as she knows the moment she boards the plane, even for the potential early May trip and with one still scheduled for September, that this’ll be “it”, and it will speed things up.

I hate to bring this to the forum like this, but you guys have helped me so much in the past and I’m hoping you could shed a little insight on what I should do now. Maybe there’s an option here I hadn’t considered? Hopefully everything’s spelled right… i can’t really see the screen right now.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. I don’t have any specific advice, but want to let you know that I’ll be thinking of you and your mother. It’s an impossible and heartbreaking situation.

I have a very dear friend who went through something similar recently, and it helped her to be able to talk to non-judgmental people about her Disney trip decisions while she was being a caregiver and anticipating bereavement. Please know that this is a safe space to talk about how all of this will affect your trip plans. It is ok to talk about it, and people here will be kind and willing to listen.

3 Likes

I am so sorry to hear this. Not sure I have any great words of wisdom for you unfortunately. My father died of metastatic/stage 4 lung cancer that was diagnosed out of the blue when he was being treated for a supposed herniated disk in his back. It was in his lung and bones just like your Mom so I know exactly how you feel right now, like you have been hit by a mack truck. Everyone is different with treatment, but I would be happy to share what his course was like if you want to know to help you make the right decisions about your trip and whether she will be able to go during treatment. I realize this maybe too much to deal with right now as well. Hang in there!

1 Like

I am so sorry! I have no advice , but I believe what ever you decide to do- will be the right decision- hugs.

1 Like

Heartbreaking news. Please know that our thoughts are with you.

I think exploring trip insurance is a good idea; I don’t know what the options are at this juncture.

The reality is that nobody knows what the outcome of treatment will be - all they can give you is statistical projections. It may in fact be that having this trip to look forward to gives your mom the strength/hope to hold on.

Whatever you decide, we’re here for you; all you need to is reach out a little.

1 Like

Thank you all so much. :slight_smile:

After I made the post last night, I tried to go to bed to sleep, but that didn’t happen…so I ended up building and reserving a trip for Mother’s Day week. Cancer wants to screw with my time line? Fine, I’ll screw with its. I promised my mom she’s going, I intend to keep that promise.

As Mother’s Day week will have fairly low(ish) crowds and the Flower and Garden festival is still happening, I thought that would be good. Thanks to my Annual Pass, I was able to get a room that isn’t all that more expensive than what the September trip costs. I figure I’ll shift mom’s tickets to this time and maybe even bridge them to an AP so when we go again in September, there won’t be any extra out of pocket expense. But given that tickets is like $500 and the bridge will be like $300+, this might be a dumb move.

I did a quick blast through all my ADRs and got all but ideal BOG or Chef Mickey reservations. I have the reservation finder and also checking independently. So that has worked out mostly.

I have until May 5th to decide if I want to keep it or not. It feels so trivial planning a trip like this given what she has to deal with, but then I also think maybe the atmosphere will do her a world of good. If it were me and I had the choice of sitting at home in a bed or strolling/rolling down Main Street, which would I rather do? It’s a no brainer for me. And more importantly, what if she doesn’t make it to September and never got to go? I feel that would be infinitely worse.

Only thing left is to secure the ECV, decide if I want to move the September flights or get all new ones (I’m thinking new since it’s nearly free to fly for us because of points), and finally be sure she’s able to go.

Yes please, if you don’t mind. My biggest concerns are 1) She’ll be up to walking a bit (mostly will be using an ECV, but short strolls are the goal) 2) be able to enjoy some of the food we’ll be eating. The last time she had cancer (she already survived Breast Cancer), she said the chemo made everything taste like tinfoil. 3) Not be so tired that she won’t want to leave the hotel room.

4 Likes

In addition to her energy levels, something else to consider in her chemo regimen is if her immune system will be sufficient for being around the giant crowds at Disney.

When my wife was going through treatments, there were spots in her treatment cycle where she was so compromised (low or almost no white cell count) that she couldn’t be around large crowds of people.

Just something else to keep in mind. Having goals is a very helpful thing, so I don’t think you are wrong to plan a trip.

Best of luck and we will all be thinking about you and your family.

1 Like

That’s definitely something to keep in mind and something I’ll be asking the doctors. I’m hoping the timing would work out.

1 Like

I’m sorry about the news you’ve received and your mother’s illness. I don’t really have any advice about what you should do. I know that the trip is the least of your worries but that you were counting on this one special trip. Trip insurance would be the way to go. Enjoy planning the trip with your mom–even if things don’t work out due to treatment schedules, dreaming about the trip and the details will give you guys something positive to focus on and share.

1 Like

My heart goes out to you and your family. I am sending positive wishes your way that whatever you decide and whatever happens will bring you peace.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear the news.
My mom took my dad to WDW when he was sick and I remember her saying that she hadn’t realized how much work it would be to push a wheelchair. I would say in general just to scale your plans back as much as possible. Even if she’s feeling up for the trip, fatigue will be an issue. It will be nice to walk or roll around and take in the atmosphere, but don’t plan on being able to accomplish a lot more than just ‘being there.’

2 Likes

You guys are awesome, truly :relieved:. These past few days have been a nightmare and I’m not even the one facing the big unknown :cry:.

Thanks to the reservation finder and independent searching (mostly reservation finder), I was able to get the ideal ADRs I was hoping for. Short of a few changes, I have a near complete copy of everything we had expected - scratch that - EXPECT to do in September. I even scored FOP fast passes. Tickets were automatically shifted to the new dates, wow does Disney make shifting stuff around easy, which has been a huge help.

I haven’t told mom yet about this new trip, I’m waiting to hear her therapy schedule and talk to the doctor before I get her hopes up. Last thing I want right now is to tell her we’re going and then find out she’ll be knee deep in treatment or can’t go, thus having the rug pulled out from under her again. The good news is if that happens, the only thing “bought” so far is the second set of plane tickets, and I can adjust those dates if needed for almost no penalty because it’s Southwest.

Which brings me to ECV, which is now going to be a definite. Thanks to @khayes4’s recommendation, I just submitted a reservation with K+M Rentals and it’s actually a little cheaper than what I was expecting. Hopefully it’s charge will last for the full day, but according to who I spoke with they only take about 6 hours to charge a completely dead battery, so even if it does drain while we’re out, a few minutes to stop and recharge isn’t going to hurt anyone.

When it comes to the September trip, for travel insurance does anyone have a recommendation? I saw a few that I think I might qualify for and have to do a bit more research. I’m still not sure I want to go with it as I’d like to think fate wouldn’t want to kick me in the teeth like this twice this year, but I’m also thinking a little peace of mind will be good too, but I’m looking at roughly having to spend $500 for it. :frowning:

But then, it’s only money, and I’m quickly learning it ultimately doesn’t matter.

8 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about your situation.

I’m happy that you’ve decided to take a trip a few months earlier.

Have you had a chance to confer with your mother’s oncologist? They may have some helpful advice for travelling. For what it’s worth, my father (who passed away in 1995), had many cancers by the time he was diagnosed at stage 4 too. His doctor’s first words of advice to my parents were to take any trips they may have been putting off. So, you’re doing the right thing!

1 Like

We’ve used a company call MH Ross and they paid our claim within 6 weeks of my submitting appropriate documents.

I guess you’ll have to be sure to buy a policy that will cover your potential situation. It can’t exclude preexisting medical conditions.

1 Like

Oh no Randall, I’m so sorry to hear this! Turns out my Dad has been in the hospital for a week with an entire gallon of fluid in his lungs. He’s got spots on his lungs and possibly kidney. Prostate cancer metastasizing? Still waiting to hear results. They did every test in the book. Prayers for you and your mom. Even just giving her mind something to dream about, think about and talk Bout will give her good thoughts during this difficult time. Praying you both make it on your trip of a lifetime. :heart:️:heart:️

1 Like

I sent you a private message.

1 Like

Only initially to learn the severity of it all. We’re expecting/hoping to hear the therapy schedule this wednesday. Truthfully, unless they specifically tell me we can’t go on Mother’s Day week for some reason, we’re going. After reading that PM from @Wahoohokie, my mind is made up.

I finalized the trip schedule today (including a dessert party surprise which she won’t learn about until the minute of), the only thing I need to do yet is pay the balance.

Cripes, that sounds exactly like what she’s going through except nothing on the kidneys. :frowning: I hope it’s been caught early and can be treated. I hope everything turns out ok. I’ll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts too.

2 Likes

Ugh. Well after another round of bad news yesterday (we learned she’ll be on Chemo for the rest of her life), we got the “chemo schedule” and we’re in the clear, so I told her about the trip last night to hopefully lift her spirits a bit. It seemed to be met with a lukewarm reception because she obviously feels it’s still a theoretical trip (even though I showed her the fastpasses).

That aside, I have her oxygen squared away (or just about, just need to actually get it and do the final steps for that) and the scooter is all set (might need to make an adjustment to the reservation to accomodate the POC), but how does the scooter thing work at the parks, especially with oxygen?

I assume very much like a stroller, but It’s becoming increasingly clear that mom won’t be able to do much more than a few feet (going to say… 20 feet? 30?) of walking before what looks like being under a severe asthma attack, and standing for any length of time is right out. So she’ll have to ride the thing into the queues.

I was looking on the Disney site and it seems simple enough, but a few questions remain.

1. what happens to the scooter while we’re on the ride?
  2. What happens if we want to ride the Rail Road and get on at one station and get off at another?
  3. How exactly is the bus setup done? Do we go outside the line (possibly facing the ire of other guests) or do we stay in the line per normal? I don’t really care about that last one so much, but I seem to recall a lot of “ECVers” being on the outside of the line and even getting first dibs on the empty buses, so I was curious how close my perceptions were to reality.