Amtrak cancels all long distance trains

This includes the auto train from DC area to Orlando, which is how we got there twice. It’s because of the anticipated rail strike and does not affect some of the short distance trains. I’m so sorry for anyone affected.

5 Likes

Is this that?

6 Likes

Greedy companies being greedy. I’m sad for the people that had trips planned but I wish the rail workers the best and good luck with this.

6 Likes

Yeah, having your trip yanked isn’t warm and fuzzy at any time.

At first I thought Amtrak was being discontinued as this seems a thing regularly threatened by Congress. Tho it’s ok to fund air travel.

While karate is going on I’m apt to be at the train station. It’s amazing the kinds of freight I see going by on the rails. East and west.

Tho this is going to hurt a lot of folks I’m happy to be supporting the rail workers. One used to be a karate dad - not home all the time.

2 Likes

https://amp.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article265813456.html#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16632145079540&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

This is the Amtrak line I take quite often to Anaheim/Disneyland. In fact I’m on my way home from a trip right now. Planned it just in time I guess. Hopefully they will figure something out asap

3 Likes

Reports this morning are that the strike has been averted.

7 Likes

Phew!

6 Likes

Good ole Mahty.

4 Likes

That made me laugh and I needed that today!

2 Likes

Definitely always happy to help in that regard!

2 Likes

So way back in 2004 when I finally had a real job with real money and could do whatever tf I wanted I finally booked a trip to Boston that fall. It didn’t feel real going through the airport and getting to our hotel, but that first ride on mass transit with the garbled speaker and heavy accent we were like… yeah we’re definitely in Boston!

7 Likes

Haha aww you definitely got to hear mumbles Menino over the loudspeaker at the airport I’m sure!

2 Likes

He was the mayah, wasn’t he, kid?

1 Like

I didn’t confirm any of this - merely lifted from Facebook.

One of the karate dads a couple years ago worked for BSNF, driving locomotives. He was away a lot and could rarely plan to be at a tournament.

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I had no idea it was this bad.

1 Like

Never doubted the workers. See my post at #2 in the thread.

1 Like

That was what got me recalling the karate dad. Thanks.

2 Likes

It takes a ton of work and sacrificing to keep railroads running and goods flowing. I don’t think I could do it and I’m grateful to those who do.

3 Likes