Am I The Only Person Who Is Angry About Disney's Ticket Refund Policy?

It used to be that you could purchase a ticket to DW and that ticket was good forever. Essentially, you locked in your price and used your ticket when you decided you were ready. But DW changed it’s policy to force the public to choose the dates on which they want to attend. This allowed DW to increase its prices for its busiest days, but created no advantage for the consumer.

As DW required, I purchased tickets for DW for a particular date range. When DW accepted my money, a contract was created. My money in exchange for entry on a specific set of dates. It now appears that DW will not be open on those dates. This means that DW is unable to fulfill its end of the contract we agreed to. But instead of refunding my money, DW wants to change the terms of the contract and “allow” me to use my ticket on another date.

I know some will say, “But it’s not DW’s fault that they could not allow me to enter the parks on the agreed upon dates, and therefore, DW is not liable for the contract default.” But this is nonsense. Whether it is a hurricane, a plague of locusts, or this dreadful virus - regardless of the reason - if DW cannot provide what it agreed to, when it accepted my money, a refund is due. The terms of the contract cannot be changed after it is entered into, which happened DW accepted my money.

I do not wish to go to DW on dates other than those I originally agreed to go. My priorities have changed. I believe DW owes me, and all other folks who cannot attend on the date for which their tickets were purchased, a full refund. Am I the only one who feels this way? Where is the outrage from all of those folks who are now stuck with thousands of dollars in tickets they cannot use?

As always, I love this forum and its members. Thanks for allowing me to vent here.

4 Likes

I might suggest calling WDW and speaking with guest services.

6 Likes

I contacted Disney via email, and received a boiler plate response reiterating how it is graciously allowing me to use the tickets on another date (which just means they told me they have decided to keep my money.)

Unexpired multi-day theme park tickets with unused days, or date-specific theme park tickets with a valid use period beginning March 12, 2020 through the closure will automatically be extended to use any date through December 15, 2020.

If you are unable to visit by December 15, 2020, you may apply the value of a wholly unused ticket toward the purchase of a ticket for a future date.

There’s probably some kind of language in that contract about “acts of God” or some other such wording that allows them to not refund or allow using them on a later date.

That said, if you contact guest relations enough times I’m guessing you’ll eventually be able to get a refund. They don’t want to make it easy because if it was everyone would do it.

4 Likes

That’s why I say call. It will take longer, but you might have better results

4 Likes

From the ticket sales page:
All tickets and options are nontransferable and nonrefundable and exclude activities/events separately priced. Parks, attractions and other offerings subject to availability, closures and change or cancellation without notice or liability.

3 Likes

As always, the folks here are terrific. I will do as you have suggested and call. But I will wait for the actual dates of my trip to pass because in all fairness, I have to give DW the opportunity to open. I don’t have “standing” until I’ve been denied access to the parks.

My dates are April 23 - May 02. We all know they will not be open by then. But I must give them the opportunity to make good before I try to make my case with them.

6 Likes

This language doesn’t protect them in the case that they fail to provide what you have purchased. Imagine if I posted a piece of jewelry for sale online. You purchased it, but I made you agree to terms and conditions stating the sale was nonrefundable. But then I didn’t deliver the jewelry to you. Instead, I just kept your money and told you it was nonrefundable. Same thing here.

I rather agree with you. As it were, I am able to reschedule, so I’m not raising hell. But if I weren’t able to reschedule, I would be SUPER pissed about not getting a refund.

2 Likes

I wish I could reschedule. But I just took a large pay cut and I expect I’ll be unemployed very soon. As most folks are, I’m more concerned about surviving now than I am about going on vacation.

If DW is open on the dates that I had planned to go, I won’t dare ask for a refund. In that case, I will take the loss. But the fact that they are not offering refunds, especially at a time when so many folks are entering a time of hardship, really sours me on the company as a whole.

6 Likes

Or at least wait until it officially announces that they will not be open on those dates.

I am hopeful that if you are able to express what is happening for you, that they give you the refund. If not, possibly selling the tickets so you can recoup some, if not all your money? I am so sorry for your hardship. I am hoping for a quick economic recovery for you soon!

This is lawyer speak. Not sure if you are one, but don’t use any language like that or mention lawyers or suing or they will certainly stop talking to you and not help you get a refund.

6 Likes

Thanks for the kind remarks @Ms.BarbsWildRide. I mean no disrespect to the die hard Disney fans in this forum by saying anything negative about the company. I have always enjoyed my visits to DW.

But here we have a company that charges far more than other similar companies for its product. And a set of consumers that has swallowed hard and paid more than they probably should have for the privilege of a visit to DW. Disney has BILLIONS in the bank, but they won’t refund the money of those folks who can no longer attend when they had planned to. It just isn’t right.

I’ve been reading the forums and watching to see if other folks are feeling a bit used, as I do. But I seem to be in a very tiny minority. And I suppose that’s why I posted here. I know the folks who post here are above average Disney fans who are very knowledgeable consumers, and I wanted to see if there was another point of view that made sense, or if there were others who felt as I do.

4 Likes

I’m not a lawyer but I do have a paralegal degree that I have never used during my completely non law-related career. I used that language specifically because I really do feel there is a breach of contract issue here that is pretty cut and dry, and I was trying to explain it in legal terms. But no, I will not use that language when I speak to them. Your point is well taken.

4 Likes

I think you’re correct, and disney knows they would have problems if they did nothing. Rescheduling probably satisfies most people, which is why they make that the default offer. But I also believe that with a little effort anyone could get a full refund. It would be a huge financial hit for disney if this was advertised and everyone did it.

I am confident you can get your money back. Good luck! :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you for suggesting that I call them directly @heidelj. It would not have occurred to me that I would need to try again with them directly, before disputing it with my credit card company. I will do as you suggested.

But to your point about the huge financial hit they would take - I suppose that is my point. Disney would rather that all of us take the hit, even though many of us are facing tremendous hardship. For them, it would be a rough financial year - maybe even a loss, but they would survive. For the consumer, many of us are facing financial ruin. It has become very clear to me how DW really feels about its customers, and perhaps they don’t deserve all of the admiration they get from us.

Disney uses this same language for just about every type of ticket they sell. It deters most people from pressing the issue. That being said, last fall, there was a party, can’t remember if it was Halloween or Christmas, where it rained so hard for the whole night that it ruined most people’s night. Disney gave everyone a 1-day ticket or future special event ticket within the year. And, although it wasn’t offered up, people were also able to call in and get a refund. All that to say, I’m sure Disney will do right by you, whether they are obligated to or not.

5 Likes

December 12, 2019. We were there.

2 Likes

Just a nit about this point. They haven’t forced the public to choose dates. You can buy anytime tickets…they just cost more. Granted they still have an expiration date… But it is still a choice to buy them for specific dates.

Now, back to your otherwise legitimate reason to complain! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just a nit about this point. They haven’t forced the public to choose dates. You can buy anytime tickets…they just cost more. Granted they still have an expiration date… But it is still a choice to buy them for specific dates.

You make a good point. I really had no idea you could buy an anytime ticket. I suppose when I was prompted to choose dates, I assumed that was the only option. I stand corrected on that point.

1 Like