All you single ladies (and solo travelers): Are you comfortable using rideshares?

:joy: ur too much! Out run the tractor maybe??

1 Like

So, I started thinking about this question. I do feel comfortable using Uber and Lyft. However having not had a bad experience, doesnā€™t mean that anything is completely safe. So, my caveat to completely safe is that should you feel unsafe get out of the car at the earliest opportunity. Donā€™t worry about feeling rude or foolish. Just get out. Say youā€™re going to puke or have a bathroom emergency if you canā€™t bring yourself to risk offending.
That said I would definitely use Uber.

Thank you for sharing this stream of consciousness moment with me.

They will pull over ASAP!

This article made me think of this thread. We donā€™t hear the GOOD often enough!!

https://www.someecards.com/life/women/uber-driver-helps-female-passenger/

2 Likes

thank you for linking that.

1 Like

Iā€™m a single lady, 30s, who does solo trips. I did Uber during my trip in February 19. Overall it was an easy experience. I used uber to travel between universal and Disney. Itā€™s funny out of my 4 uber trips it was with my female driver that I felt the most uncomfortable because she talked the whole time and was a negative person. I prefer the driver be silent and all of the men were that way.
It is the only part of my September trip that I stress about because I am doing a long Uber from Disney to universal and from universal to the airport. But, it is helpful i can track my location on the app and hopefully i donā€™t get anyone chatty.

1 Like

I have taken Uber/Lyft by myself a lot (28 years old woman), as someone who travels a lot and doesnā€™t drive.

It is the form of transportation in which I feel safest.

Some additional tips for feeling safe on rideshares:

• it has been said a lot before, but check the license plate before getting in
  • sit on the back seat
  • at the beginning of your ride, call (or pretend to call - send a voice message to yourself even) someone saying ā€œhi, just got in the car, plate is X, I should arrive there are Yā€ (better if you can pretend the person will be waiting for you there).
2 Likes

We donā€™t have Lyft in the UK but I almost always Uber home alone from drunken nights out. Never any issue. I do make sure to check the licence plate before getting in.

I never use ride sharing services when Iā€™m traveling solo because, reasons. There have been many suggestions in this thread that folks cannot live their lives in fear, but regrettably, itā€™s not a choice for some people. Everyoneā€™s mileage varies (no pun intended). Donā€™t forget to be awesome!:vulcan_salute:t2::vulcan_salute:t2:

1 Like

I mean, Iā€™ve been ā€œtraveling soloā€ as a businesswoman for about 20 years, and have taken every form of transportation imaginable solo. There are, unfortunately, creepy men that you may encounter anywhere. Youā€™re a lot more ā€œtrackableā€ these days, being able to call, text, share your location with friends, and if, god forbid, something were to happen to you, there will at least be information about your connection to this driver (thereā€™s a record you booked this ride).

Rideshare drivers have ratings, which is more than you can say about your cabbie. Uber/Lyft are conveniently summoned and very easy to pay for (still, even in major metros, cabbies do not want you to pay with credit cards and often ā€œthe machine is brokenā€). Iā€™ve actually had mostly female drivers when Iā€™ve used Lyft, though ymmv.

I would generally avoid being alone on any form of transportation if visibly intoxicated as a safety issue.

2 Likes

Itā€™s really not a problem probably 99.9% of the time. I had a super rude Lyft driver today, I left a negative review, and they fixed it immediately. Youā€™ll be fine.