Aer Lingus?

Have any UK liners flown with Aer Lingus? Since we started flying with Virgin, I haven’t been able to imagine going with anyone else. But Aer Lingus would save us £800. If you’ve flown both and can compare that would be great! Really wondering about the food, entertainment and customer service, but any insights would be welcome.

hahaha I thought the title was a purposeful typo, a foreign language… like something Scottish/Gaelic…

1 Like

Irish Gaelic I assume! It’s Ireland’s airline.

1 Like

opps… sorry… wrong country :grimacing::pensive:

1 Like

I flew on it 30 years ago so I don’t think I can be of any help. Good luck on the great airfare hunt!!

2 Likes

Thanks! I don’t even know if the trip will happen but I’m researching anyway!

1 Like

Don’t they have the epic advantage that you clear US customs and immigration in Ireland, so that things are breeze once you get to MCO.

2 Likes

I think so, I’m not sure how it works. But if the flight itself is crap I might take my chances at MCO.

I flew it from Boston to Ireland 10 years ago, and I don’t remember it being terrible. It definitely wouldn’t have been as nice as Virgin though (no one does a plan quite like Richard Branson)

1 Like

Thanks!

I have had a look at the flights but that was before they announced departures from UK airports. Does not really work for me this year as we lost Jersey to Cork with the pandemic! I believe Shannon is where there is a US immigration point, like the one in the Netherlands, or is it Belgium? Land at Shannon, clear US immigration/customs then arrive at MCO like a domestic. Flight time would be around 9 hours - maybe longer due to Shannon stop, unless the UK departures are not stopping there.

If it were a choice between Aer Lingus, British Airways and Virgin Atlantic I would choose British Airways - Having to fly from Jersey means 2 legs to get to MCO - JER to London, London to MCO. By booking the outward and return as one booking works out cheaper than just the London - MCO - London fare!

How far do you have to travel to get to the flights - Aer Lingus, Virgin? A long flight is a pain in basic economy - I have travelled economy, business and first on BA, business on Air France (Hong Kong to Tokyo), economy on South African, economy on Air New Zealand etc. - anything up to 4 hours is OK but you should stretch to a bit more space on a longer flight if you can (it makes so much difference to jetlag).

Sorry this may not be much help.

1 Like

We’re 20 mins from Manchester Airport. Booking through Disney I only have the choice of Aer Lingus or Virgin - that’s the only reason I’m thinking to consider AL, we always go Virgin. Aer Lingus doesn’t actually say it stops at Shannon, it says it’s a direct flight, but it’s a 9hr 50 flight and Virgin is 9hrs. It’s just 15mins longer on the inward leg. We always fly economy and I have no concerns about that - I’m 5’2 so I have loads of legroom on any flight. Though it would be useful to know if AL has significantly less room - I’m sure I can google that.

BA don’t fly direct from Manchester and I don’t want connecting flights.

2 Likes

They do, but only at Dublin and Shannon unfortunately.

@missoverexcited, I’m looking forward to seeing what responses you get. Manchester Airport is a direct train for us and I was thinking it might be a good option.

2 Likes

Aer Lingus start to fly from Manchester in July , subject to government approval - waiting for the US to lift travel ban for us ‘normal’ people from UK. Virgin under the same restrictions too. If Aer Lingus is direct you will not get the border clearance from a stop in Shannon so no advantage there. I would compare the offerings on each airlines website, look at review sites for both airlines - you know what Virgin is like so could use that as a control so make a judgment on whether Aer Lingus is the same, worse or better.

If you can save significantly on flights it means you have more leeway with budget in WDW. When we had to move flights (I get resort and park tickets from Disney and separate airline tickets - made airline package by adding a 2 night Universal hotel) and due to the BA sale being on the cost of the flights halved - which made up for the increase in the resort and lack of the free dining plan.

2 Likes

It says it’s direct but then why does it take an extra hour? 9 hours is bad enough! That in itself might make me pay the extra for Virgin to be honest.

ETA with the stop in Ireland it takes 13 hours. I think that’s a big nope from me.

I will look at reviews but I trust liner experience over internet randoms!

1 Like

The extra hour might just be the route, or it could be a smaller plane and less engine thrust.

2 Likes

I don’t think I can do an extra hour! But then £800 is a lot of money especially with no free dining.

2 Likes

The flight time is quite possibly a lie. They do it to make their on-time statistics look better. So if they’re quoting 9h50 but it really only takes 9h, but then they’re delayed 30m, it looks like they were actually early.

3 Likes

Oh I didn’t know that. The reviews are worse than Virgin, not a lot worse but as in most areas you get what you pay for.

2 Likes

We are going BA JER-LHR 1 hour, normally takes 40 mins. We then have a 4 hour wait in the Club lounge before the LHR to MCO which is around 9hours 30 - but this time can depend on how strong and position of the jet stream. I have taken 3 and a half hours from LHR to Washington DC but that was on Concord! I arrived before I had taken off!

Odd if flight time between the 2 airlines is different though, could be due to the aircraft or as @sanstitre_has_left_the_building says a timetabling convenience to make their arrival stats look good/allow for late departure.

1 Like