Adults With Special Needs

Greetings! I have a friend who will be going to WDW later this month with her adult son who has special needs. He has severe cerebral palsy, is mostly wheelchair-bound and very limited cognitively. He does, however, enjoy engaging with people and likes music a lot. I’ve seen plenty of resources describing how to go about getting special access passes, etc., but does anyone have any recommendations as to which parks would give them the best experience? In other words, minimal wheelchair transfers, experiences that are stimulating but maybe not overly so, and not too much walking, as his parents are seniors themselves and have slowed down in recent years. And they’ll only have 2-3 days, tops. My first thought was Epcot, but that’s a lot pretty big park. Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I would think HS, Little Mermaid, Frozen sing along, Beauty & the Beast.

1 Like

Hello cmarq- several years ago I planned a multi gen trip with my whole immediate family. My parents were seniors and my youngest sister is downs syndrome( at the time I would have described her as someone who like engaging with people and she loves Disney music/shows). I will tell you some of the things that I did not anticipate being problems- the general noise level(wish I had brought noise canceling headphones for noise like the monorail overhead or several songs playing at once). Half days only for my parents and sister. I did schedule quiet dinners in resorts, and several restaurants. And we told people after dinner they were free to explore. Get the guest assistance pass and I would consider AK and E as your two parks- both have several shows and many things to look at without being on rides or while they are waiting for others to come off rides. Good Luck

1 Like