A Trip without ADRs

Ok, I know a bunch of y’all take trips without a plethora of ADRs on the docket. I generally have 2 every day, 1 per day at the very least. I decided last week to go on my first ever solo trip - I leave in 10 days!! - and I’m thinking I’ll rely on QS, F&W and lounges for my sustenance. Those who have done this, give me all the tips, tricks and potential pitfalls!!

7 Likes

Single diners can often enjoy the TS menu at the lounges associated with the TS location. :smiley:

1 Like

We didn’t have dinner reservations during our recent trip (with one BOG exception). I was pleasantly surprised that Rose & Crown and Spice Road had walk up availability. (You can do the walk up on your phone, which is great, so you can see the expected wait in advance and what’s available).

1 Like

What are peoples thoughts on snacking throughout the day and skipping QS even? I know Epcot would be golden, but what about the other three?

1 Like

There are plenty of snacks of which I never avail myself due to regular plans for a meal of one sort or another. It would be quite easy to graze you way through any day at any park.

3 Likes

Also- if you decide to do a TS, check the app the night before. Lots of folks drop. Additionally, I sometimes had to book for 2 instead of 1 to get an ADR to show up.

But F&W booths FTW!!!

3 Likes

I used to predominantly do no TS trips, but I’ve gotten to where I really appreciate knowing at a set time I’m going to be guaranteed a good meal with good service. Having to queue up for registers and food pick ups and fight for tables or find a shady spot to stop and eat a snack gets old if the trip is any considerable length of time.

5 Likes

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I didn’t care for QS as a solo traveler. At least when my husband is there one could wait for food while the other scouted a table. I’m not good at coming up with food options on the fly either. :laughing:Congratulations on your solo trip. You will still have fun either way.

2 Likes

The lounge menu at Crew’s Cup is basically the full Yachtsman menu. I love the Bluezoo lounge at the Dolphin.

2 Likes

I can’t even look at the title of this thread without having a physical reaction. TS meals are as important to me as headliner attractions.

ETA scratch that. More important lol

3 Likes

We tried to do a QS only dining plan one family trip…with a few TS ADRs OOP and had a really difficult time dealing with that. I don’t think I could go a whole trip w/o at least one TS each day.

It is scheduled out time that forces me to sit back, relax, and have a meal.

We visited Univeral one trip where I listened to everyone and didn’t make any dining reservations and it totally threw us off our touring game (which was compounded by earlier park closing times). We struggled to find anything to eat for dinner and had to settle for whatever was still open.

We (I) definitely tour better with some pre-planned, blocked out time for dining. While all QS on the go is definitely doable, I don’t find it relaxing enough for my vacation (even if I am not really relaxing at WDW).

2 Likes

That’s a great point. Both Saluuti and Docking Bay 7 had cast members that directed us to some space to eat in July. It was still every man for himself at Woody’s Lunch Box.

3 Likes

Ok, well y’all are making me reconsider my plan and I just went and booked a bunch of ADRs just in case to hold onto while I think…don’t hate me…

It’s a very short trip. Fly in Thursday night and back Sunday afternoon so I basically have two full park days and a half day Sunday. I am not a fan of QS in general. I’d prefer two substantial TS for breakfast and dinner and snacking in between BUT since it’s such a short trip I thought I could maybe swing it. I rented points from someone needing to cancel last minute and will be at BCV Friday and Saturday and BWI Thursday.

I have APRs for HS both Friday and Saturday and plan to hit MK and EP on both of those days as well. Sunday is all AK. For Friday I have HS/EP/MK and Saturday is HS/MK/EP but I am very hesitant to be in EP on Saturday. I do want to see both HEA and Epcot Forever and with two nights that ties up my evenings and I am hoping to grab a ticket to Boo Bash on Friday if they are selling them day of like they did last week.

Thinking out loud here…Sunday I plan on having Sacred Spaces for lunch before I leave…or Tusker House…I’m pretty torn…also Boma will be open… I had thought Friday mid-day in EP I’d hit F&W as well as Saturday evening. I know, I know. Don’t do Epcot on Saturday!! But I feel like if I’m going to try to get into Boo Bash on Friday then EP is forced to be Saturday. I’d like to try DB7 in there too as well. On one hand I feel like I’ll have so many snacks I won’t be hungry for a meal but I also know it’ll be crowded and hot and I will get tired to waiting for my food.

I’d rather have the reservation and cancel than to not have one and desperately need it.

3 Likes

Yes, agree 100%.

TIFIFY

2 Likes

Lol! I think I have lofty expectations for myself. I’m all ‘no kids!! I can go all day and do all the things!’ even though I could barely tolerate the NTX humidity today when I took the puppy outside. I’m sure Florida will humble me pretty quickly.

3 Likes

This is not a problem. TH is basic food and not nearly as good as before and Boma is a completely unknown entity. Meanwhile, Sacred Spaces never disappoint.

1 Like

Excellent points for both. SS it is. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes