8th Nov USA entry update, Covid testing and children

Great info here :+1:t2:

Is there anything at the destination (ie WDW and Orlando generally), that may still have restrictions for unvaccinated children? Like having to prove vaccination status for restaurants or anything like that?

Seems sensible that the airlines are taking account of the differences in each country’s vaccination age policies, but I’m just wondering how it would be ‘on the ground’.

That is actually illegal in Florida.
“The legislation codifies the prohibition of COVID-19 vaccine passports. Governor DeSantis enacted this prohibition through an executive order last month, blocking any business or government entity from requiring proof of COVID-19 vaccination.”

https://www.flgov.com/2021/05/03/governor-ron-desantis-signs-landmark-legislation-to-ban-vaccine-passports-and-stem-government-overreach/

Cruises leaving out of Florida are doing it, though, despite the above, and it’s a big legal battle.

It’s definitely a “stay tuned for latest info” situation. I’m not even sure the exact status of all the legal proceedings right now.

But from a practical standpoint…
@vcka Are you aware of any Florida businesses besides cruises and airlines requiring customers to show proof of vaccination? (Employees is an entirely different can of worms let’s not open in this thread.)

3 Likes

Nope, as you stated it is illegal in FL for a business to ask for proof of vaccination. Opps… I forgot, the Phillips Performing Arts Center has been requiring proof. They are a private org but are now under state investigation. All violations cost the business $5,000 per violation.

2 Likes

I just wanted to ask about your testing to get back into the US this summer. I will be flying back from Madrid in February (daughter is going to study abroad there), and see they offer testing at the airport with appointments. They offer PCR tests, rapid PCRs, rapid antigens and rapid antibody tests. I know the US wants a viral test so no antibody. It appears both the rapid antigen and the rapid PCR test are options for returning to the US? How did you decide to do antigen vs PCR? The antigen test is quite a bit cheaper ($27 vs $110 for the PCR).

1 Like

However…is it not true that you can make taking a COVID test a requirement, OR proof of vaccination. That gets around the “requirement” of a vaccination, and makes it entirely optional. You CAN show vaccination status…but if you don’t, then you MUST show you don’t have COVID.

That’s my understanding, and how businesses can get around the rule.

I might be wrong…just how I was understanding things.

Yes, you could pretty much use any of the “in-person” tests to come back. We almost brought the “in-home” ones with the virtual visit with us but they were only for 4+ and we had DS2. We picked the rapid antigen because they were cheaper and pretty much all over the place! (Our struggle ended up being finding one that would test under 6s.) We also had trouble registering for some of the appointment based websites because they needed me to confirm via a text which I couldn’t get on my phone… so the rapid one was just so easy because you walk in and they hand you the print out and off you go. We did the kids in a train station pharmacy.

2 Likes

How many days before your flight did you take the rapid test?

We did the day before just because that was a travel day for us anyway so we had the time, but in hindsight it would have been less stressful to do it sooner. (But only because we had to go to a bunch of places.) If your daughter seems to think that the walk-in pharmacy tests are easily accessible, I would probably just do that 2 or 3 days before and if not, I would probably try to do the appointment ones at the airport before you leave. They have it down to a science. If you are worried about testing positive you could always do an at-home one just before too. Those are VERY cheap in Europe.

She won’t be there until we go at the end of January, so she knows nothing about them. :rofl: Nor will she look into it, since she won’t need one until she comes back home in May (assuming the US still requires them for vaccinated people). We don’t have to test to get into Spain luckily, just on the way back home.

1 Like

My understanding is that is workable here in Texas. But not in Florida.

From what I understand, in Florida, they are prohibited from asking to see proof of vaccination period.

So if they say the requirement is “be vaccinated or show a negative test”, it would have to be honors system because they are not allowed to ask to see proof of vaccination. At all.

1 Like

She won’t do Dear Mom a favor?? I only mention it because in France you could not miss the testing sites. They were everywhere and all the pharmacies had signs as well. I would think that would be easy enough for DD to spot. If they aren’t all over the place then the airport is probably easiest.

She and I are arriving at the same time, staying 9 days and then I fly home and she stays in Madrid. I’ve been scoping it out on the internet, seems that there are places outside the airport to do it as a walkin. I’d probably prefer to just make an appointment and have it taken care of though.

1 Like

This new COVID-19 testing rule makes it harder for some Americans to fly back to the US (thepointsguy.com)

I thought this had helpful info and links

They should really just be honest and say “It makes it harder for UNVACCINATED Americans to fly back to the US.” Saying “some” is just clickbait.

3 Likes

ahaha… I didn’t write the title… I agree, but I did read it and thought it was helpful or I wouldn’t have shared it… hey… I’m just the messenger :wink:

I wonder if this is intentional :frowning: but not trying to start anything either :wink:

Here is what I see as of today for Canada to USA travel from one of the airlines…

Travelling from Canada to the US

At check in, every guest two years of age and older must complete an attestation form confirming either a negative test or recovery from COVID-19 with clearance to travel.

Review U.S. requirements by location.

Vaccination requirements

No proof of vaccine required

COVID test requirements

Every guest two years of age and older is required to have either:

• A negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of scheduled departure
  • COVID-19 PCR, NAAT (i.e. RT-LAMP) or Rapid Antigen tests are accepted.
  • Or, documentation of a previous positive test result and documentation of recovery.
  • A letter from a licensed health care provider of public health official needs to accompany your positive test result.

…and here is the return policy for Canadians…

Returning to Canada

Register with ArriveCAN and submit all COVID related information, including vaccination information. Make sure you follow any provincial or territorial entry requirements.

Be ready to show your ArriveCAN receipt when arriving in Canada. A border services officer will verify you submit your information digitally. They can issue enforcement action for non-compliance ranging from a verbal warning to $1,000 fine.

Vaccination requirements

Proof of vaccination could exempt you from post-travel quarantine.

COVID test requirements

Every guest five years of age and older — regardless of vaccination status — is required to have either:

• A negative COVID-19 test taken 72 hours prior to scheduled departure of your flight to enter Canada.
  • COVID-19 PCR and NAAT (i.e. RT-LAMP) tests are accepted.
  • Or, a positive COVID-19 PCR test, taken between 14 and 180 days before scheduled departure.

Upon arrival in Canada, if selected, you may be subject to a random mandatory COVID-19 test.

Quarantine requirements

You do not have to quarantine upon arrival if you are 14 days past being fully vaccinated with a Health Canada approved vaccine. This information must be entered into ArriveCAN.

1 Like

The Covid testing aside, I’ve seen a good question about quarantine for kids.

According to that CDC page, anyone not fully vaccinated who is allowed to travel as an exception needs to quarantine for 7 days. Technically that would apply to kids too.

Obviously that would stop the return of much tourism in it’s tracks, but I’m not seeing anything that says children are an exception to that rule. Has anyone seen confirmation somewhere else perhaps?

3 Likes

Hmm, great point! It doesn’t SEEM to be the intention but I don’t see any other details. The only thing I see is the below “based on the category of the exception” bit. But I can’t find any details of which categories must do which piece.

Based on the category of the exception, you may further be required to attest that:

1. You will be tested with a COVID-19 viral test 3–5 days after arrival in the United States, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days;
  2. You will self-quarantine for a full 7 days, even if the test result to the post-arrival viral test is negative, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days; and
  3. You will self-isolate if the result of the post-arrival test is positive or if you develop COVID-19 symptoms.
1 Like

Yes, that’s what I saw and quoted in response to the question.

Like I say there is no way they can mean for kids to have to quarantine, surely? I think the fact that kids are essentially being treated the same as the adults they’re travelling with for Covid tests means the same will be true for other rules.

Clarification would be good though for those affected.

2 Likes