2023 Festival of the Arts (and FOOD) Report

As a birthday present to myself, I finally got to experience the one remaining Epcot festival I was missing: Festival of the Arts! I think it’s my favorite of the Epcot festivals. For this whirlwind weekend trip, it was just DD13 and I. We took a flight out of NYC early Friday evening and were in our Dolphin room by a bit after 10pm.

Saturday morning, I woke up bright and early to start stacking LLs for HS in the late afternoon and on. (I bribed DD13 to come along on this 80% food trip with the prospect of her favorite rides at her favorite Disney park). HS really is the ideal park to stack LLs for since SDD LLs are one of the few LLs that progress past the start of park hopping that early in the day. Once the first LL was taken care of, we walked over to Epcot and were waiting at International Gateway by 7:40am for Early Entry at 8:30am. We were pretty close to the front of the pack and we STILL didn’t finish with Remy till ~8:50am. Craziness.

Since Festival food booths don’t open till 10:30/11:00am, we shared a breakfast from the To Go Window of the Creperie (Crepes A Emporter):

Bechamel, Ham, and Cheese Galette

While we waited for food booths to open, we meandered around different pavilions looking for both Disney Character chalk art and Figments for his scavenger hunt. We also had fun with the photo ops from famous paintings and magic shots exclusive to the festival.

First food booth stop: The Deconstructed Dish

We basically bought their entire menu. LOL. And enjoyed it with a picturesque view of the water. And Stargate.
Deconstructed French Onion Soup (Beef Broth Ravioli, Gruyere Cream, Onion Bread Pudding, and Onion Textures), Deconstructed Key Lime Pie (Flexible Key Lime Curd, “Key Lime” Mousse, Graham Cracker Cake, and Meringues), Deconstructed BLT (Pork Belly, Soft-poached Egg, Onion Bread Pudding, Watercress Espuma, and Tomato Jam), and Deconstructed Apple Pie a la Mode (Apple Cinnamon Gelato, Cinnamon Apple Cider, Apple Pie Filling, and Streusel)

Next Up: Moderne

Angry Crab (Whole Crispy Soft-Shell Crab with Green Papaya Salad, Mango Sriracha Fluid Gel, Coconut Lime Foam with Pomegranate and Mango Crush Pearls) and the Tropics (Lilikoi Mousse, Guava Cake, Coconut Cremeux, Compressed Pineapple, and Mango Gel)

Pan Seared Scallops (with Vanilla Butternut Squash Puree, Brown Butter Cauliflower Puree, and Lime Foam)

Strangely enough, we were pretty stuffed after just 2 booths so we walked around World Showcase. I had the Purple Yuzu Sake Lemonade (Sake Cocktail infused with Butterfly Pea Flower and Yuzu Lemonade) before we left Epcot to park hop over to HS.

By 2:31pm, I had these beauties lined up:

Yes, it wasn’t initially ideal to have RnR separated from ToT as we would have to backtrack. I didn’t have any luck modifying ToT to a closer time to RnR (I later found out that only half the elevators were running- maybe that’s why LLs for ToT were so scarce?). But in retrospect, having RnR and ToT separated by a few hours was for the best as I needed time to recover from RnR. I did it once several years ago but didn’t think it was worth the headache and faint nausea afterwards. However, it’s one of DD13’s favorite rides and she didn’t want to do it alone. So off I went.

But first stop in HS: Backlot Express for a snack. I was hoping for the original version of the Wookie Cookie but no luck. I had those chunky things again.

Begrudingly tasty but I still wanted something more akin to an oatmeal creme pie. This wasn’t it. We also got fries and a Glimmer and Shimmer Blondie.

After RnR, SDD, TSMM, RotR, and ToT (and some window shopping and a stop at Walt’s Dream), we rode the skyliner back to Epcot. In the meantime, I tried to grab a LL for TT (to negate the need for Genie+ the following day) but although additional LLs did drop at the times listed by Liners, the times were too close and wouldn’t give us enough time to travel back to TT from HS.

Once we returned to Epcot, we made a beeline back to the front of the park so that I could obtain a few coveted nighttime Festival magic shots (that were only available at the front entrance). We then speed walked back through World Showcase towards the America pavilion to catch the last Disney on Broadway show for the night. As we were walking, we passed several food booths that had almost no line so I thought, “Awesome! We should be able to grab a light dinner from the Japan booth and make it in time for the concert!”

The queue for the Japan booth, Goshiki, was unfortunately PACKED. But we were already there and our stomachs were anticipating their menu. So we waited. And waited. This was our bounty:

Ichigo Daifuku (Mixed Berry Mochi, Sweet Azuki Bean Paste, and Mascarpone)

And a tiny Rainbow Katsu Sando (Pork Cutlet Sandwich with Tangy Tonkatsu Sauce and Cabbage in Rainbow Sweet Bread)

If I had known ahead of time that the Rainbow Katsu Sando was going to be so small, I would’ve also bought the Sushi Donut. But I didn’t want to wait on that crazy line again so I just ran over to the Funnel Cake stand to obtain the Mocha Funnel Cake (Mini Funnel Cake with Cappuccino Ice Cream topped with Chocolate Whipped Cream and M&Ms).

We were only a few minutes late to the start of the concert and were thankfully able to nab some seats easily. It was a great way to end the evening: munching on festival foods while listening to Mandy Gonzalez and L. Steven Taylor. After the concert, we left before Harmonious. I would’ve liked to watch it but DD13 was extremely tired and truthfully, so was I. So we took the boat back to rest up for our last day, where we would have to make up for our lackluster food booth performance. :crazy_face:

13 Likes

I have only been to that festival once, but I loved it too! Deconstructed is a fun booth and I like the creativity.

Thanks for sharing your day. You packed a lot in and did great with your stacking!

2 Likes

A few of the beautiful/fun artwork we admired:

I especially loved how they positioned Sorcerer Mickey with the water.

DD13 is a tiny bit camera shy. Just a tad.

8 Likes

Yes, I know it was supposed to be an unibrow. But it works as a mustache, too!

Look who’s manning the Beach Club Front Desk!

12 Likes

All these pictures make me want to go to FArts so bad. I just love it!

2 Likes

Day 2: Finishing Strong for the Weekend of Gluttony

I woke up early again to obtain G+. This time, I grabbed TT (one of DD13’s favs at Epcot) and ONLY TT for the entire day. Not the best bang for our buck (especially as Sunday was $18/person vs Saturday, which was only $15) but it freed up more time for us to eat/admire artwork while roaming World Showcase. We had originally planned on trying for GotG (either virtual queue or ILL) but I begged off, worried that it would make me nauseous and unable to eat for the remainder of our limited time in Epcot. I rode it last summer and even with Dramamine (albeit the lighter non-drowsy dose), I was a bit queasy and headachy afterwards. DD13 was very understanding and we decided to skip GotG.

After obtaining our one LL of the day, we were packed and ready to go in record time for a check out day (7:15AM!). We chose to take a leisurely boat ride from the Dolphin to Epcot to both conserve energy and to soak up the ambiance of Crescent Lake.

DD13 was starting to get hungry but wanted to save stomach space for the food booths. And the line for Les Halles was insane- it spilled outside the giftshop. We decided to get a a Coconut and Passion Fruit Smoothie from Vibrante & Vivido Encanto Cocina (which was open early for a limited breakfast menu of the smoothie and a breakfast empananda):

We redeemed our TT LL and then just wandered around different pavilions, looking for Figment and Chalk Art characters. At 10:30am, we planted ourselves next to the ever popular France booth, confident that it would open early due to its popularity. It didn’t. Boo.

L’Art de la Cuisine Francaise finally opened at 11 and we were first in line. We bought Creme de Brie en Petit Pain (Warm Creamy Brie in a House-made Bread Bowl), Croissant a la Truffle Noir D’Hiver (Black Winter Truffle Croissant), Moelleux Aux Noisettes et Chocolats Valrhona (Molten Chocolate Cake and Hazelnut Cake with Pure Origin Valrhona Chocolates and Passion Fruit-Mango Sauce), and a Frozen French Martini (Grey Goose Vodka, Vodka, Chambord Liqueur, Pineapple, Orange, and Grape Juices with Lemon-Lime Foam)

After this strong start, we headed to Pop Eats! for the Tomato Soup with Pimento Cheese, Bacon, and Fried Green Tomato Grilled Cheese and the Almond Frangipane Cake layered with Raspberry Jam and Belgian Chocolate

After a quick jaunt into the Odyssey for the ridiculously elusive Festival pin, we returned to eating our way through the different country pavilions.

El Artista Hambiento’s Huarache de Champinones (Guajillo Chile and Corn Masa Huarache with Pinto Beans, Oyster Mushrooms, Nopales, Queso Fresco, and Pea Tendrils)

The Painted Panda’s General Tso’s Chicken Shumai, Char Siu Pork Bun, “Panda” Bubble Milk Tea (with Black Tea, Milk, Chocolate, and Tapioca Boba Pearls), and Sea Butterfly (Butterfly Pea Flower-infused Cocktail with Smirnoff Vodka, Light Rum, Lychee Syrup, and Magic Boba Pearls)

L’Arte di Mangiare’s Ravioli ai Funghi, Perle Tartufate (Wild Mushroom-stuffed Pasta with Truffle Butter and Truffle Pearls)

The Artist’s Table’s Hummingbird Cake (Banana Cake with Pineapple, Coconut, Pecans, and Cream Cheese Frosting with Banana Sorbet)

At this point, I was getting dangerously stuffed but we needed one more stamp (in addition to the Orange Mousse we were planning to get at the prize booth) to finish the Wonderful Walk of Colorful Cuisine. I chose the Chorizo and Potato Empanada (with Turmeric Aioli and Annatto Aioli) from Vibrante & Vivido and was super glad I did. It was one of the best savory options I had that day.

We then went to Deco Delights to redeem our prize along with our 5th stamp pick, the Orange Mousse with Lemon Cake and Raspberry Meringues.

The prizes were a super thick smoothie and a cute art palette cookie (the latter of which I took home for DS10). I was disappointed that we had to skip the other 2 desserts at this booth but we were really way overstuffed by this point.

We took one more boat ride back to the Dolphin, retrieved our bags from Bell Services, and Lyfted back to the airport. The lines at security weren’t bad but as we approached our gate, I glanced over at a passing flights board and saw that our flight was suddenly delayed. Groan

In all, we were delayed by almost 2 hours, which really sucked and messed with my careful planning to not get back too late for a school/work night. But the silver lining was we now had time to try out Chef Art Smith’s Sunshine Diner at Terminal C…which happened to be RIGHT AT OUR GATE. LOL.

One more meal for the road! Country Fried Steak and Roasted Cauliflower with Pickled Peppers, Bacon, and Parmesan.

Although we were exhausted and zombie-esque the following Monday, this weekend trip was worth it. Festival of the Arts now reigns supreme in my ranking of Epcot Festivals.

13 Likes

I’m so jealous of all the foods! It sounds like you had an amazing trip.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I would have been able to resist that artwork of Beaker and Professor Honeydew!!!

4 Likes