1st time at UOR: Is Universal Express worth it?

In April '21, we’re heading to WDW and thinking of adding two days for see UOR.
3 adults, one kid.
Like a mix of roller coasters and other attractions.

The choice of remaining at a Disney property or staying at a UOR property seems to hinge on whether it’s worth getting the free Universal Express that comes with the high-end UOR hotels.

Given we’re all just guessing what theme park life will be like in 6 months, is Universal Express that important?
How close are the current crowd levels/lines at UOR to reaching the level of “yes buy it, save yourselves this misery anyway you can”?

1 Like

I like Express Passes even on empty crowd level days, so I will always say go for it.

3 Likes

Short answer - Yes!

If you really want to “do-it-all” at Universal the UXP is wonderful. Unlike FastPass at WDW the UXP queues aren’t full and you truly wait a fraction of the time.

However, if budget is any concern just know you don’t have to stay at a Deluxe resort to get the UXP. You can buy them at most gift shops in the park. This gives you a “wait & see” option to find out if the parks are actually busy. (Although these days, Universal has been pretty packed. They’ve offered great discounts to locals & APs to drive business + no reservations required)

3 Likes

However, consider the cost for Express Passes for 4 people over two days. Minimum cost is $90 per person per day. If the Deluxe hotel is cheaper than 700 for the night, it will come out cheaper than buying Express Passes.

Also, hotel rooms can be canceled up to a week in advance. If they can swing the deposit, it may be work it to hold the hotel room until the week before.

4 Likes

Totally agree! Although, I have talked with people who went when CLs were pretty low and they regret not just staying at WDW / doing a value resort to save money. I just wanted OP to know their options, as not everyone knows you can buy it separately. :grinning:

Our fearless leaders have said that express passes are worthwhile on crowd level of 8+, 7 if you really really don’t like lines. April will be Spring Break time, so I’d say yes.

One thing I’ve noticed with crowd levels. We are planning an early Feb trip precisely one year after our first trip. Predicts crowd levels are about 2 over what they were last year.

One idea. You could plan you universal days for the weekend when all parks are busier. Stay at the premier hotel to make the express passes not that expensive.

1 Like

We went at a fairly low crowd time and still loved having EP, especially if you are trying to do nearly everything in 2 days. Plus, the UOR deluxe resorts are closest to the parks, being close meant less wasted time for transportation in the morning (my family is not natural early risers, so even 15 extra minutes is valuable!!).

3 Likes

If your plan is to stay onsite at Universal, compare the difference in cost between the value and deluxe hotels, and the cost for paying Express Passes out of pocket.

2 Likes

Yup, 100% worth it and Universal Deluxe hotels are much cheaper than WDW Deluxe hotels (more comparable to Moderate WDW in price) so you’ll probably save on the room too unless you’re doing DVC rental or points in which case it’s probably comparable plus you get the free express and early entry.

4 Likes

I will add one of my favorite things about Universal Express is the ability to just ride stuff when I want without needing a plan. The only time I have ever waited more than 15-20 minutes was during Covid for the Dudley Do-Right. They must have been doing a cleaning as the line crawled. It’s just gives peace of mind and will save your legs. Even on a “low” crowd day you’ll still save 2 hours+ which just means you leave earlier, get re-ride time in addition to the ability to not have backtrack across the parks (except for maybe showtimes which is only an issue in Universal and not IOA).

3 Likes

Pre covid, when the Hulk line was 40 minutes, I rode Hulk, Storm Force, and Hulk again in 20 minutes. I love Express Passes.

1 Like

We’ve never had Express Pass, and found no need for it. We got through everything we wanted no problem without it. That isn’t to say Express Pass can’t make things “better”…so if it is “worth it” becomes subjective.

But is it NEEDED? Absolutely not, particularly if you have 2 to 3 days. Still, if crowds levels are high, then it could definitely make it easier/more relaxing to have Express Pass.

3 Likes

100 percent worth it.

2 Likes

This combined with early entry is great for Hulk. During Covid on a weekend with a crowd level of 10 we rode Hagrids and were out the door by 8:13am and through Hulk including the walk and locker by 8:40am. I’d always stay on property at the very least.

1 Like

Your trip is during spring break for many NE states? Absolutely stay somewhere with express pass!

5 Likes

In addition to early entry with express pass we were able to then walk over to Universal and get thru RRR, Mummy, Transformers, ET, Kang & Kodos, Simpsons, MIB and spent 30-45min on wands/shopping in Diagon Alley, and Hogwarts Express at King’s Cross (the line was HUGE there) by noon, making a 12:30pm lunch at The Kitchen at the Hard Rock. We walked onto everything and got 9 rides plus shopping/wand time done in 4 hours when the crowd level was 10. 100% worth it. Every time

1 Like

The trip starts at the last week of April and it’ll be first week of May when we would be hitting UOR.

I hope that the American Neverending Spring Break will have receded by that point…

2 Likes

It should, but even with average crowd levels it makes a difference (as does the single rider line at Hagrid’s if we’re back to normal. We were on and thru Hagrids in 25 min with the single rider line when the standby line was 2 hours). So if there are single rider lines they may help not need express if you can split your group. If we’re still covid, the express pass made a big diff in Oct on weekends. Lines were 2 hours for Shrek and we waited just one show with the express pass.

1 Like

I’m leaning towards Express Pass just because it seems to offer a touring style that is simple and relaxed.
At the end of our vacation, having done WDW with DD6, I’m expecting those two qualities will be highly prized

5 Likes

When is the busy spring break week at UNI?