Your hidden gems at WDW

Now that i’ve got everyone fighting on my other thread :grin: let’s talk about things we love about WDW. It’s my thread, so I’m making the rules until I’m kicked out. What are you’re hidden gems at Disney World that others might have missed. I’m sure lots of you all will recognize them right away, because honestly, there’s some fanatics on this forum.

I’ll start. Mine is the lights in the pavement at Epcot. I had no idea it was there but my kids discovered it on our way out of the park on our first trip. I’ve got a picture somewhere of them on the ground marvelling at them.

Who’s got another?

11 Likes

I like the rooms with the train displays in the Boulder Ridge Villas. This area is on the ground floor, at the end of the building where the main covered path connects. There are interesting displays, models, and art related to trains and Disney. This area is also a quiet, cool, out-of-the-way place to spend time if someone needs a nap, to nurse a child, or simply to relax and recharge. We explored it after eating lunch at Geyser Point, which I think is also a hidden gem - open-air dining on the lakefront, physically close to the main building but landscaped so you feel miles away from the WDW crowds and noise. Ahhhhhh.

7 Likes

The square below Rapunzel’s Tower – sit and look around for the hidden Pascals.

7 Likes

One of my favorite things from 3 long trips was the seashell imprints in the concrete of the pool area in All Star Sports. I was surprised at how delighted I was every time I saw them.

3 Likes

This is an awesome room

3 Likes

Maybe these are hidden gems. They delight us every trip we can get to them. Hurricane Dorian messed up a couple last trip.

The seating area near the water at AK near Flametree BBQ. It’s usually cooler. Away from crowds. And there’s something about enjoying your lunch with screams in the background.

The trains near Germany. :heart_eyes:

The totem pole outside the shop in the Wilderness Lodge. Gotta take the photo.

Same with the land speeder by Star Tours. It was gone one trip. We were crushed. Back the next trip. YAY ! ! Lately we’ve been having to wait ? Loose lips, people . . .

5 Likes

On our first big family trip in 2010 we discovered this area. It was such a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of the crowd. It’s a great place to duck away even if you’re not eating. It is rarely crowded.

4 Likes

Once - just once - here a boat came by with the classic characters on board. We and they had a great time waving hysterically to each other.

I’m thinking they were on their way to or from something else and we just happened to see them.

No idea what year this was. Possibly 2006.

3 Likes

I think our #1 favorite (not-so) hidden gem — right, @Keith718? — is probably having an al fresco dinner at Geyser Point. They’ve got tasty beers, good food, WAFFLE FRIES (!!), and they pipe in the HEA music. It’s so wonderful to look out over the water and just relax.

Sigh. I wish I could be there right now.

5 Likes

Tom Sawyer island for me. Quiet break from crowds and the caves and escape tunnels are amazing to discover.

8 Likes

Not hidden at all, but the jumping fountains in EP, especially when watching my 63 year old DH trying to get splashed in the face

11 Likes

I have still not stopped to enjoy this! Hopefully my kids are not too old to enjoy it next time.

Definitely Geyser Point. Especially at dusk/dark after a full day of the parks. In second place, if at AK, then the under appreciated Nomad Lounge.

2 Likes

It’s definitely a train thing. Several lines could be running. There’s a village - we like to look at and identify stuff in the village. In the hills beyond the village are various other things to look at. Fields, I think a saw mill. If you come from trains people - like the train under the Christmas tree or the layout in the basement - the trains near Germany are great.

If not, it may be a big so what. Like so not a thrill ride. (ie what’s Epcot got)

2 Likes

I’ve only been able to take one trip as an adult so far. So I’m not sure I found any hidden gems yet!

But I’d like to focus my next trip on all these hidden gems in this list! So, following along.

1 Like

The best I’ve got is Tom Sawyer’s Island, really.

OH - no - the best gem I’ve enjoyed I no longer have access to. DH used to be a GM employee and they have a room over TT.

7 Likes

Woah!! That looks awesome

Will That be there post remodel?

2 Likes

Is this the spot?

2 Likes

All of those little shelters and pathways sort of in the rear of the restaurant counter area, which runs long the pathway to the bridge to Asia, are “the spot”

4 Likes

I do not know. Are you a GM employee? They had free soda and snacks too. Not Mickey bars. IIRC it was cookies.

We also got FOTL for TT. It was beautiful. When we went on Nov my kids wistfully remember “the old days.”

1 Like