Yet more ... SW show closing “for several weeks”

Yeah. That’s what puzzles me too. I’ll leave the march on my plan for now, but I’m a little unclear.

I hope they don’t cancel our Star Wars Dessert Party. Were only 19 days out. We were so close!

That being said. It’ll still be magical. I didn’t even know to miss this stuff a year ago. I was looking forward to The Great Movie Ride and the Singin in the Rain Umbrella until a few months ago too. sniffle

1 Like

Hopefully I am not being naive but I am not worried for the dessert party since it goes with the fireworks which I don’t think they would cancel. Hopefully I am right…you just got me real nervous though… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::pleading_face:

2 Likes

As much as this is a bummer on the one hand, the idea that it is being done as a cost savings measure because attendance numbers are expected to be lower does have a silver lining. It means that crowd levels should be reduced as well, overall, since expected attendance numbers are lower!

3 Likes

I put that in another thread, possibly the one about the Citizens of Hollywood…! And that is a permanent closure.

1 Like

The March is fine, for now. I haven’t seen anything that suggests it’s in the firing line, probably they’ll keep it going to hype up the new land (as if it needs hyped up lol)!

I’ve also changed the title to simply say it’s closing for several weeks.

2 Likes

The more I think about this, the more I wonder the full implications.

First of all, MOTFO I would expect to be very expensive. They need to have a lot of cast members in all those storm trooper costumes for something that ultimately doesn’t earn them any money. Admittedly, when we saw it, it was cool…but we didn’t go to HS to see it. It just was a “bonus”. They save a lot of money by not having to perform.

But second, while there are suggestions that the lower attendance numbers are because people are holding off going until after SWGE opens (which I’m sure does play a role) I wonder if Disney is seeing the results of their decisions to keep nickel and dime-ing everyone. It has been an on-going topic of disgruntlement here, but everyone seems to agree that if people keep paying the money, Disney will keep doing it. But what if that limit has been hit…enough that it is actually being felt in Disney’s bottom line?

It is all just conjecture for now, but I do wonder if we might see reduced price increases in the coming year, more offers to get people into the resorts, etc, as a result. Yes. They can cut things to make up for some of the losses in the short term. But if it ISN’T just people waiting for Star Wars, Disney might be seeing the effects of their shareholder-focused decisions of late.

2 Likes

Right there. I think Disney is aiming squarely at you and others like you. (Not meant as a criticism or insult, just an observation). You can’t miss what you don’t know you’re missing.

Trying to explain the difference between Disney today and Disney before is kind of like trying to explain Apple today versus Apple under Steve Jobs. Somehow the experience seemed to mean more to the people in charge, and it reflected not only in the product, but in our attitudes toward the product.

3 Likes

I personally agree with you. I think Disney World may be hitting that line where people are beginning to think they are not getting enough for what they are paying for. I have been following several boards since 2015 and the costs are certainly going higher and higher with more and more cuts. There are going to be new things in the future, but in the meantime, you can’t keep cutting and raising prices and expect everyone to blindly pay out. And if a recession (not saying there will be, but you never know) would hit in the midst construction and a Fox buyout, things are just going to get bad for Disney.

2 Likes

I just checked for when I am there in October and it is showing no time schedules for the March as well.

1 Like

Yep. No disagreement here. We haven’t been before and won’t be going often. Heck, our next trip may be 10 years out.

I have no idea what percentage of Disney attendees are like us though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would be curious to know what percentage of Disney parks and resorts revenue is attributable to first-timers versus repeat visitors. As someone astutely observed in another forum, you can fleece a sheep many times over, but you can only skin him once.

The Earth’s population is seven billion and change. If we assume (safely, I think) that most people on the planet have never been to a Disney theme park, there’s theoretically a lot of money to be made without ever serving the same guest twice.

3 Likes

OK. I have an update on the March of the First Order.

Apparently, according to a poster on WDWMagic, this is being cut in size to around 10 stormtroopers.

Now, this is unofficial, and I have no verification about his connection. But he was the person who broke some of the entertainment cuts details before it was confirmed by the forum itself. So reasonable, IMO, to listen to him when he comments.

I’ll post again if WDWMagic puts it up on their news pages, which would be if they get confirmation.

1 Like

Thanks. I’d take that. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Classic mistake. Downsizing the military in peacetime.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

And it will likely open the door to the rebellion. 2 years from now it will be March of the Rebellion !!!

3 Likes