Yet another way Chapek is trying to get us to part with our $$$

As UOR grows in popularity, they are going to start facing the same overcrowding type issues that Disney does and will have to start following suit even more. Higher prices, crowd controlling measures, etc. UOR has benefitted from having significantly fewer guests relative to size. Not sure that will continue in the coming years.

2 Likes

Daily housekeeping? Wake up calls? Package delivery?

2 Likes

Can you imagine ppl refusing to pay extra for this and then housekeeping has to deal w/ a big mess after 10 days?

I see your point but I don’t think it would be a good idea to make ppl pay extra for something that has become an industry standard. Although I do remember my kids opting out of daily housekeeping to get a $50 gift card instead soo… what do I know :laughing:

1 Like

Yes this!

1 Like

There are two levels of Disney Visa card. The normal card has no annual fee, but you earn only 1% back for purchases towards Disney rewards (essentially like a Disney Gift card).

The Premiere card has an annual fee (something like $50, but I don’t recall the exact amount), but you earn 2% back on grocery store purchases and restaurants (and maybe one more category???), 1% on everything else…except purchases from Disney, where you earn 5% back (ShopDisney, etc).

You also get benefits such as 10% discounts on most table service locations at Disney World/Disneyland. (This discount also extends to those who pay for their Disney meal using their Rewards dollars…so it doesn’t have to be either/or.)

ETA: I forgot to mention that on both cards, there is usually some form of sign-up bonus for new cardholders. It used to be in the form of rewards, but now it is in the form of a statement credit…but there is a minimum purchase requirement to earn it, so read the fine print.

3 Likes

I could see Disney offering those who “subscribe” to this service getting first dibs on ADRs and access to event tickets, etc. Essentially, it could become the Genie+ of all the other benefits…those who pay get first access to booking windows. This, I think, would make the concept highly desired among certain folks even moreso than discounts. And…if this happens, we run into the same problem that G+ does, in that as more people pay for it and get early access, the more scarcity it causes for the rest of us, thereby causing more people to be willing to pony up for the benefit. Like with G+, Disney creates the very issue they purport they are trying to solve so that they can charge more money.

In the end, it simply pushes the Disney vacation experience further out of the reach of the common man/woman to a point. That is, they will still be able to go, but being able to experience things such as ADRs at TS restaurants will gradually become only accessible to the elite during busy time periods.

I’m conjecturing, of course. Maybe this isn’t Disney’s intention. But I can’t believe that paying for access to discounts is really Disney’s end-game. That’s the marketing department talking.

3 Likes

All this talk about Disney Prime and new versions of Disney+ ($$$ vs ads) and MB+, and then I got an email from our big grocery chain (Hy-Vee) promoting a (not free) version of their fuel/loyalty card. Hy-Vee Plus (gee, another thing gone “plus”). For a monthly fee, you get some extra benefits and some reduced fees. I won’t sign up, I wouldn’t get enough savings - especially as a snowbird gone 6 months.

1 Like