WWYD: Port Orleans FQ or Hilton BV Disney Springs

Admittedly I have not stayed at French quarter for about a decade - but the last time I was there at the beignets were definitely More like real beignets.

1 Like

I’ve been staying at Disney deluxe resorts for my past few trips, but before that we always stayed at French quarter. Literally our favorite resort and it’s also not a bad walk to Riverside for all of their amenities,.including the pools

3 Likes

One of our peeves about the Doubletree was the bus service. What are these hotels called? Good Neighbor? They allegedly have bus service to the parks. During our 3 night stay we experienced everything from bus came quickly with a competent driver to waiting for well over an hour for a driver who clearly didn’t want to be there and who drove more like a Mario Andretti. Each bus goes to two parks, maybe HS and AK for one bus and MK with Epcot. The stops are out past regular Disney bus stops. With no cover.
We gave up waiting one night after park close and got on a Disney Springs bus - lots of them!
We got to DS in good time. And then walked what felt like the length of DS to get to the walkway over the road to the Hilton and other hotels. Of course we were tired but even having the option to grab a libation along the way didn’t make the trek a thing we’re eager to repeat.
Given your choices, it’d be French Quarter for us.
I will say that we’ve stayed at most Deluxe resorts, 3 DVC and all moderate except FQ. The biggest difference is space as you can get a tired Deluxe or DVC with a couch so give out no one sits on it all week. :joy:

1 Like

It sounds like the beignets from Mint Julep? However, the one I had at Epcot was definitely more of a doughnut. Not at all like the ones I’ve had at DL.

I thought the ones in DLR were too much like a donut too…so if WDW’s are even more donut-y I will be disappointed if I’m expecting a beignet. I’ll just know that the only true place to get 'em is in NOLA. :wink:

The ones at FQ reminded me of the ones in NOLA.

2 Likes

I haven’t had the POFQ beignets, just the Epcot ones during a festival. I hope the ones at POFQ are at least as good as the Mint Julep ones.

I am going to DL Friday so I might buy some beignets and pay closer attention to their donut qualities!

Oh yeah, the ones in France are NOT beignets at all…not even close

1 Like

they didn’t look like it from pictures or descriptions

I ordered them and they were just filled donuts…I got them in FARTS and F&W this year or last year, I can’t remember now. But definitely filled donuts which is fine if you like that but they should not call them beignets

1 Like

especially if you’ve been to NOLA and know what a true beignet is :wink:

1 Like

I thought they were much further from real beignets than what I’ve had at DL. But I’ve never been to NOLA. Someday.

If you like spooky stories and romantic architecture and jazz and food you couldn’t find a better city…it is hot but the rest of it makes up for it.

3 Likes

shhhhhh… I don’t like NOLA :shushing_face: It’s so dirty and unkempt :nauseated_face:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have been warned not to go at Mardi Gras time. That’s not really my scene. I’m more into history which it would seem NOLA has in spades. It’s on my list!

1 Like

the historical buildings are awesome, street performers were cool… but the restaurants were TOO sketchy. The co-worker, I was w/, was afraid to sit on a chair in one… put a napkin down. It was just dirty everywhere. I’m glad I went but won’t go back.

The Garden District is very kept up. The French Quarter, I would call it real more than anything else. It’s “dirtiness” doesn’t bother me because it feels real and the buildings just speak to me. So much history. But I also love food and jazz too so the city in all its pieces together speaks to me.

I’ve never experienced that in any place I’ve eaten there.

My co-worker was very fussy. I was ok but I did understand why she felt uncomfortable. NOLA is dirty.

ETA: It’s like the before of NYC… which used to smell… reek… of human excrement until it was cleaned up. NOLA isn’t that bad.

You could go to Louisiana at Mardi Gras but maybe one of the smaller towns. We had family living in Morgan City for a few years. Their Mardi Gras sounded much more family oriented and fun. Bring your folding chair to the supermarket parking lot on the parade route.